Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. I need some expert advice.

I had a Gixx 600 2005 for two years.

Im still undecided as to what I want to get. Im not sure If I want to go used or get a nice new bike.

Im pretty much leaning towards another gixxer, and I was happy with the power of my 600.

Now, I have never ridden anything bigger than a 600. I *MIGHT* (Although I highly doubt this) go with a bigger bike. Maybe a 750 or a liter. Is there a tremendous power difference between these bikes? Are the top speeds higher?

Im almost afraid to get a bigger bike. Sometimes that 600 would sneak up on me and lift the front wheel out of a turn.

However I bet its nice having that extra juice if you have to get out of the way fast, or want to pass someone quickly.

Advice Please!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would like a literbike but for me aside from playing freeway tag,I would never begin to use all the power most of the roads around here (freeway exculded)are tight 2nd & 3rd gear corners my favorite sweeper is a long left hander that I'll catch 4th in and exit at around 135mph. you may be able to go faster but Clint Eastwood said "a mans got to know his limits" and that is a good enough rush for me. besides if you were happy with a 600 why spend the extra scratch?I had a ninja 900 which was a powerful bike,but I think I was actually faster in the tight stuff on my 91 katana 600.of course I was less experienced then, but when I bought my FZ6 I thought about buying a bigger bike but now I'm glad with the choice I made.

P.S. few things in like sound like a yamaha at 14000 rpms;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Jay22 said:
Now, I have never ridden anything bigger than a 600. I *MIGHT* (Although I highly doubt this) go with a bigger bike. Maybe a 750 or a liter. Is there a tremendous power difference between these bikes?
yes

Jay22 said:
Are the top speeds higher?
yes

Jay22 said:
Im almost afraid to get a bigger bike. Sometimes that 600 would sneak up on me and lift the front wheel out of a turn.
if you want scary, wait till you get the insurance bill for a 1000 :eek:

Jay22 said:
However I bet its nice having that extra juice if you have to get out of the way fast, or want to pass someone quickly.
yes it is :D

mb.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jjkGURU said:
big bikes are for fat guys...

:laughing:
Hahah! I am a fat guy! However Im not fat enough to need a liter.

Yeah, I think it probably is overkill. I think ill get another 600 if I get one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Jay22 said:
Hahah! I am a fat guy! However Im not fat enough to need a liter.

Yeah, I think it probably is overkill. I think ill get another 600 if I get one.
that comment was for me and almightys (and now that i think about it, kuhrazy & bluto also fit the bill...)

:cheers:

*edited cuz i can't spell anything right today*

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
jjkGURU said:
that comment was for me and almightys (and now that i think about it, kuhrazy & bluto also fit the bill...)

:cheers:

*edited cuz i can't spell anything right today*
And me and Eric and Webb....
James, your not even close to fat... whadda weigh?
145?:laughing:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Duner said:
And me and Eric and Webb....
James, your not even close to fat... whadda weigh?
145?:laughing:
Don't make fun of my weight! I can't help it if I can wolf down 3 whole horses & only gain 7 ounces.

I would suggest a 05-06 Kawasaki Ninja 636. It has a little more power than your average 600 and is a fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
crayder90 said:
Don't make fun of my weight! I can't help it if I can wolf down 3 whole horses & only gain 7 ounces.

I would suggest a 05-06 Kawasaki Ninja 636. It has a little more power than your average 600 and is a fun bike to ride.
Stick Man. :) :thumb: ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ive had 2 600s, a 1000RR and a Busa...

My favorite was my 600 F4i... More than enough power for what I used it for.. Crazy Speed is nice, but it can also get you in trouble that much quicker...

If I were to ever buy another bike it would probably be a 600...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah I say stick with a 600. I rarely use up the power of my 929, it's got termendous torque, thats one big difference that you didn't mention. The only reason I got a liter was longevity. Like most engines, if you don't beat on them all the time they'll last a lot longer, so In hopes of getting some extra milage out of my bike I decided on the 929, also if your riding 2up alot, then I'd go with a liter.

As for insurance, if you have no tickets, and own a home, you shouldn't have any issues with costs. Mine runs 482/year thats 40$/month. However you have to factory in a lawyer a year at 340$ to keep it low so.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tikki50 said:

As for insurance, if you have no tickets, and own a home, you shouldn't have any issues with costs. Mine runs 482/year thats 40$/month. However you have to factory in a lawyer a year at 340$ to keep it low so.....

Hahah! I didnt have any trouble when I had my bike. Then again I dont do 140 in a 70..... often....:D (kidding.)

Yeah, Im not sure yet. I went and applied for a loan at the shop. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. I guess the computers were down. We'll see what the payments look like first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The new liter bikes are so close to a 600 in size and cornering, but has way more power. Trust me bro! get a 1000. Nothing can compare to the excitement of one of them. 6's and 7's feel like toys after you get used to a 1k.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Dewayne said:
The new liter bikes are so close to a 600 in size and cornering, but has way more power. Trust me bro! get a 1000. Nothing can compare to the excitement of one of them. 6's and 7's feel like toys after you get used to a 1k.
So why are track riders heading away from 1k's and opting for 600's?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The reason people like 600's on the track as do I, is that coming out of the corner the power is more managable. the big bikes will carry you out wide and tend to break the ass end loose which can lead to high siding.

but for the street 1k all the way. I used to ride a 6' and there is no way i would ever go back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice suggestions.

I think i might go ahead and get a 750 this time around. A liter is just too much for me. I dont race or anything like that. I just dont see the need for that kind of power for me. So I think itll be a 6 again or a 750.

A buddy of mine wants to get a busa. It would be his first bike. I tried to talk him out of it and here is his reasoning.

He says they designed the busa with a longer frame so the front end wont come up. He figures this is a safer choice since he wont have to worry about accidentally popping the front wheel up. What are your thoughts on this? Id like to have some good ammo to get him out of wanting a busa for his first bike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts