Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
bmacd said:
they teach you in basic training it takes two minutes to poop, two minutes to shower, and two minutes to shave. You'd better be squared away in those six minutes :)

-=bmacd=-
Screw that!!

I read all my mail on the pooper, it takes at least a minute and a half for the hot water to get to the shower, and well, I gave up shaving for lent, so I'm good to go there.... :)

I'd never make it in the military....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats it, man trying working in an auto plant. Half the time the workers are drunk and the other half of the time they arent at work. I saw an article in the Oakland Press that said a guy killed his wife got out of jail 6 1/2 years later and got his job back at GM. Auto Plants are f'ed up places!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
GumbyGSXR said:
Thats it, man trying working in an auto plant. Half the time the workers are drunk and the other half of the time they arent at work. I saw an article in the Oakland Press that said a guy killed his wife got out of jail 6 1/2 years later and got his job back at GM. Auto Plants are f'ed up places!!!!
Not quite.... The stereotypical drunk working the assembly line is a thing of the past.... Sure, there are a few, but they are the exception, not the rule. The same thing applies to absenteeism.... sure there are a few that like to never show up for work, but isn't that also true of McDonalds? The vast majority of the non-skilled work force get up, go to work, and do the best job they can just like you and I do.

An ex-con getting his job back isn't a surprise.... If he took an FMLA-approved absence for it while he underwent therapy and counseling for his problems, the company HAS to give him his job back after he's better.... it's a loophole that allows the system to be milked.... I'm not saying it's right, but it happens. Once again, he's the minority, not the majority.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'd like to see the rules in China/Japan! OSHA? Medical? Workers comp? EPA? Unions? No wonder we can't compete and our jobs are going offshore. I also wonder how long it takes an illegal alien to PooP.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gijoecam said:
Not quite.... The stereotypical drunk working the assembly line is a thing of the past.... Sure, there are a few, but they are the exception, not the rule. The same thing applies to absenteeism.... sure there are a few that like to never show up for work, but isn't that also true of McDonalds? The vast majority of the non-skilled work force get up, go to work, and do the best job they can just like you and I do.

-Joe
Not true, the absentee rate in one auto plant I recently read about was just under 20%, or about 1 day per week per employee. I'll bet Japanese auto workers aren't absent that many days in a year :thumb: I'm sure this isn't the national avg, but 20% is frickin ridiculous. You can't run a successful business with numbers like that.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
gijoecam said:

An ex-con getting his job back isn't a surprise.... If he took an FMLA-approved absence for it while he underwent therapy and counseling for his problems, the company HAS to give him his job back after he's better.... it's a loophole that allows the system to be milked.... I'm not saying it's right, but it happens. Once again, he's the minority, not the majority.

-Joe
I agree with you a bit here but those few bad apples are way more than a few!

·
Registered
213 Posts
almightys said:
I agree with you a bit here but those few bad apples are way more than a few!
Of course... in raw numbers, a McDonalds staff of 50 might have two employees with absenteeism problems. Now, extrapolate that to an assembly plant staff of 5000, and where does the number of problem employees go?

And I find it hard to believe that ANY production facility of 5000 employees regularly has 1000 employees off. With the union rules in place for attendance, that's just not possible anymore. If an employee is gone 20% of the time, that's almost 10 1/2 weeks... I don't care how much time you've got, unless you're on a medical leave, or family leave, nobody gets that much vacation without a penalty.

Again, are there exceptions? Yes. But they are exceptions, not the rule.

I'd like to know what auto plant functions with every employee taking one day a week off? No way, Jose`.

-Joe

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
First off that would be my hint to get out of the auto manufacturing proffession, and preferably away from a town that relies on that for its economy. Lets face it fellaws things dont look good for the US auto industry. They can barely hold the japanese back, and here come the koreans and the chinese.

I'll save the tirade on unions till some other time... It sure be nice to get rid of 'em....

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gijoecam said:
Of course... in raw numbers, a McDonalds staff of 50 might have two employees with absenteeism problems. Now, extrapolate that to an assembly plant staff of 5000, and where does the number of problem employees go?

And I find it hard to believe that ANY production facility of 5000 employees regularly has 1000 employees off. With the union rules in place for attendance, that's just not possible anymore. If an employee is gone 20% of the time, that's almost 10 1/2 weeks... I don't care how much time you've got, unless you're on a medical leave, or family leave, nobody gets that much vacation without a penalty.

Again, are there exceptions? Yes. But they are exceptions, not the rule.

I'd like to know what auto plant functions with every employee taking one day a week off? No way, Jose`.

-Joe
IMO comparing McDonalds to Auto Companies isn't comparing apples to Oranges. McDonalds employs kids for the most part who are working to support either their drug habit or their video game habit, and still live at home. The Auto Industry employs adults, who should be more responsible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes that many people really call off everyday and the plant still functions cause of a "job bank" its a group of people that sit on there ass and do nothing until someone calls off then they go cover there spot. As for the guy getting his job back, that is incredibly common. I know a guy who works at GM who is a convicted drug dealer. HE spent 15 1/2 years in prision on got his job back with out losing his senority. Same thing goes for stealing and drinking on the job. I agree that a majority of the younger workers arent bad but a good deal of the older workers with senority and all that are terrible. I sure hope GM never comes crashing down and closes thier doors, this whole area would be screwed.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
So from recent conversations, a convicted fellon who served his time should get his right to vote back but not his job?

·
Registered
213 Posts
GumbyGSXR said:
Yes that many people really call off everyday and the plant still functions cause of a "job bank" its a group of people that sit on there ass and do nothing until someone calls off then they go cover there spot.
Regardless of the AGE of the employees (look at any manufacturing facility, auto-industry or not), let's be realistic: If you have 5000 employees working in an assembly plant, is it realistic to expect that each and every one of them will show up each and every day??? Not a chance. So, if you need all 5000 employees to run your assembly process, and one of them doesn't show up, what are you supposed to do? It's not like McD's or a retail position where you can get by without a person or two. Nobody wants their vehicles (or refrigerators, or stun guns, or toilets, or anything) rolling off the assembly line missing parts. It's not going to happen, so what do you do? Send everyone home because John Q Incompetent didn't show up for work again today? No business could operate like that.

So, yes, there are some extra people who may or may not have a job that day. If there isn't an opening, do you still pay them? If you didn't, do you think they would wait around, just in case they might work? Golf caddies might for $10 in jr. high. Adults trying to support a family will not.

Job Banks, or GEN banks are completely different things. Those were created in the 80s as a response to the increasing loss of good-paying factory jobs to increased automation. It was a simple compromise: The unions agreed to allow the automakers to use more automation to build the products in exchange for guarantees that the automation would not REPLACE the workers. Otherwise, what's to stop the company from replacing all of its employees with automation? GEN agreements assured that the manufacturers couldn't simply say, "You've been replaced by machines. You don't work here anymore." In their attempt to downsize the companies with the reduction in production and market share, this agreement has come back to bite the OEMs in the arse. They have a contract and (at least at one time) they had to stick by it. (I'm not saying that's good or bad.... just the way it is)

Now, I still don't agree with the GEN banks operation to begin with. If you're going to pay someone, get something in return: Lawn cutting, picking up trash, pushing a broom, mopping a floor, open up a soup kitchen, build houses.... do SOMEthing in exchange for the $30/hr plus benefits you're paying the guy/gal.

I've been in GEN. It's not fun. Talk to anyone that has been, and they'll tell you it's almost like being in jail, except the pay is better. IMHO, it's mis-management of the employees by the company's management.

-Joe

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Holy shit!
Would you mind elaborating on GEN joe? I didnt think such an agreement was in force. No wonder US manufacturers cant compete with japan. Those guys keep 7 employees to run a whole assembly plant.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Oh on a side note. I was studying robotics in school, and according to those texbooks (mid 90's) the cost of a robot to a manufacturer (avrg.) is $8/hr. That counts the purchase price, electricity, and maintanance.

Somehow I would have thought it'd be cheaper.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Vash said:
Holy shit!
Would you mind elaborating on GEN joe? I didnt think such an agreement was in force. No wonder US manufacturers cant compete with japan. Those guys keep 7 employees to run a whole assembly plant.
I don't mind, but it's a lot easier to explain specific questions.... The documentation in our contract books is like 20+ pages. It's not a simple program.

-Joe

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
So Lets assume I run some sort of bike company, and I got 20 welders making frames. I decide to buy an automated welder that will do the job of 20 people and make less mistakes. And thats when the agreement kicks in right? so what now, I have to pay 20 welders to stand around and do nothing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts