Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats the rule I always live by, how bout you guys. How fast do you ride on the average. How often do you pull stunts?

·
Registered
515 Posts
ive slowed down to 70 mph.............

my stretch of hiway 395 has more hiway patrol than you can shake a stick at..they do 80mph, but they have a badge.....bastards:finger:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always used to SPEED alot, but after being on this forum for a while I now ride at a safe and respectible 53mph just to be safe and goody too shoes like:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It is so slow doing the max speed limits.

Ours are in metic so 80KPH (most common hwy speed & a hair below your 55mph--actually closer to 50 mph)) & that is like 3rd in my cog box. Some are 90, 100 to rare 110KPH still it is SLOW. More so when one comes across 70 to 60KPH for man you are C-R-A-W-L-I-N-G.
I remember back in '77 when this 55mph bit went into the States. The wife of a NY Senator bought him a Honda CB550 (he had a bike in prior yrs) & he simply could not get over how slow the 55mph speed was on a M/C & remember way back in those days there were no sportbikes & believe me a CB550 had trouble reaching 110mph.
So in actual fact the speed limits are set for cages & especially vans & large trucks.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in the mid-50s I was an instrument man ---

---for the Trans-Canada Hwy & we had to go through all the rules/regs of roads, bridges,culverts, etc.
One thing I noted was that they specified that basically ALL bends must be set for trucks at 70mph (bar rare occasions like mtns, etc) which is 110KPH (the fastest one might possibly see on a few rare bits of the hwys in Cdn) & not the crawling speed of 80KPH which is 50mph!!!!!
Think about it -- in the days of drum brakes on cages they still felt 70 mph was a future speed limit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sly10man said:
thats the rule I always live by, how bout you guys. How fast do you ride on the average. How often do you pull stunts?
Ah think your joshin wit us. ;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
55 max... hit 56 once but a careful apply of the rear brake brought everything back into control!:thumb:

BUT... I know a guy who will only do 70 to 75 or so on the interstates, depending on the flow of traffic, but when he gets on the two lane twisties he likes to get downright silly. Low traffic and decent roads bring out the worst in him. He sometimes runs up to 125 on sweepers or favorite corner exits, but seldom more. Myself... I would never do that. ;) :)

I never do wheelies or burnouts and neither does that guy I know, at least not on purpose, maybe an occasional lower gear corner exit.:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dad said:
55 max... hit 56 once but a careful apply of the rear brake brought everything back into control!:thumb:
:confused: What's this rear brake thing?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its the people who drive the speed limit when everyone else is doing 10 to 20 mph over that I hate. They are like a big rock in the "river of traffic" that everyone has to manuever around.Or you have the civilian speed limit enforcer who drives the speed limit or less in the fast lane .

·
Registered
202 Posts
usually no more than 5mph over the speed limit, which on I-5 go from 55 to 60 and even 70 in some place. I will "goose it" though to get pastor away from a caged moron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts