Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what isn't legal in california acording to the 49 state legal law. Was looking on ebay and saw a f4i that said 49 state legal. Was wondering what makes this bike differnt than one sold at a dealership hear. thx for any info.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah, it's pollution/emission standards. As Johnny Carson used to say, the smog was so bad in LA, you could get your film developed just by holding it out the window.

Does that mean if you buy a new or used vehicle out of state that you can't register it in California if it doesn't have California emissions?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
hapmstr said:
Yeah, it's pollution/emission standards. As Johnny Carson used to say, the smog was so bad in LA, you could get your film developed just by holding it out the window.

Does that mean if you buy a new or used vehicle out of state that you can't register it in California if it doesn't have California emissions?
I think it has to have 7500 miles, then it can be registered. I took a 2000 F4 out there from Indiana and had no trouble, it had around 8000 - 9000 miles at the time. Not sure on cars though. :dunno:

I've also heard that if you buy a bike in Cali you can get rid of the emissions equipment by buying a stock exhaust from out of state. Since lotd of people get rid of the stocker right away there are probably a lot of them available at decent prices.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
spicersh said:
<SNIP>
I've also heard that if you buy a bike in Cali you can get rid of the emissions equipment by buying a stock exhaust from out of state. Since lotd of people get rid of the stocker right away there are probably a lot of them available at decent prices.
My model of bike is reknowned for being a pain for the CA version. The changes to remove the emissions stuff are actually unrelated to the muffler. Rather, there is extra tubing from the tank and the exhaust that require some changes. See you manual and online bike-specific forum for details :2cents:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've also heard that if you buy a bike in Cali you can get rid of the emissions equipment by buying a stock exhaust from out of state
apart from being a bike rider my cage is a second gen toyota mr2, and its well knowned in the mr2 community of the CA mr2, those are mr2s that i think were built specifically for sale in CA and thus have a THIRD catylitic converter, as opposed to the non CA mr2 that carries only 2 catalytic converters, im not that well mechanicly instructed on bikes so don;t know if they even use cats but sounds like the problem is between the headers and muffler just like out friend spicersh says

1 - 7 of 7 Posts