Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
its having some very specific problems that are all pointing towards too much fuel. It is almost impossible to get going unless your going 20mph. It only likes it when you slowly roll on the the throttle to match up with the rpms. It starts to pull harder when you back off on the throttle when you are on it already. It bogs when you hammer on it. The engine flutters when you hold it at a certain rpm .Any ideas?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know this is a *VERY* lame comparison, but my moped did that when i still had it. It had a dirty carb, clogged fuel filter, and the fuel line itself was a bit old. Dunno if that helps at all, it was a lawnmower on two wheels, but that's my story.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
I had bought a junk Gixxer 750 a year or so ago that had similar problems and I spent way too much money trying to solve the issues ... came across many things that contributed to the problem but never fully got rid of it.. some of the things were: tilt switch shorting out, rectifier not working properly, wire harness had bad spots in it where it was shorting out, tank ended up not being right for the bike (carb style instead of fuel inj. style) there is no return fuel line on a carb tank so they used the over flow tubing and cut it in half to "N-g-r" rig it and when they did they pinched the tubing and it was barely able to dribble the return flow of gas back into the tank, the throttle cable wire was loose inside the housing on the grib causing alot of play, something about the butterfly flaps was wrong, there was so much rust in the tank that the last though was that the rust got into the injectors and was cloggin the flow... at that point I called it quits and worked out a deal for the seller to buy the bike back for purchase price plus parts because he has advertised it as "runs perfect, no mechanical problems" there were other issues with the bike as well but those didn't have anything to do with the irregularity in the gas and throttle dealings...

E.

·
Registered
462 Posts
DreamRyder said:
at that point I called it quits and worked out a deal for the seller to buy the bike back for purchase price plus parts because he has advertised it as "runs perfect, no mechanical problems"
Sounds like you got it off of ebay

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
sounds like you might be running rich. Fuel evaporates during the intake stroke, and any evaporating liquid absorbs a great ammount of heat. The excess fuel causes your combustion chamber to cool below ideal temperatures, causing poor ignition.
Check your air filter. If the bike is carburated check the carbs for dirt, check that the butterflies open and close smoothly, and check the choke for proper operation.
If the bike is fuel injected, check your airflow sensor.\

Let us know how it goes.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
lateott_156 said:
Sounds like you got it off of ebay
long story but it was bought direct not through ebay... I was just lucky enough to have had everything in writing and lot's of supporting documentation to win my case if going to court was necessary :p

I could have went back on the guy that did the inspection on it as well if I wanted to.. cuz he informed me it was worth buying at the said price but then so much money later tells me I shouldn't have ever bought it (the ass) but that's another story of a screwin I got from the repair guy supposidly fixen the bike only to find out the hard way that it would still stall out on me on the track in a turn.. (not a nice feeling btw) ended up havin a freind trouble shoot and find many of the problems himself and workin on it... sad that the original guy had this huge ass reputation that he couldn't live up to ...

E.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks vash. I pulled the fuel pump/filter & cleaned it out."pretty dirty" then I checked the pump output, it was fine. I called the local dealer & he said they have never seen an 2001 they had to replace a fuel pump/injectors on. Im a bit stumped. I'm going to try and drop it off today. I also pulled every sensor to see how it would run with or without them, none of them seemed to make a difference. VERY CURIOUS. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
revving it everywhere, I get 42mpg, driving conservatively, 60mpg.

My friend had a 97 600gsxr and he was getting 25mpg after he jetted it and did other work to the bike. Ran rich as hell and never fixed the problem. He only drove the bike for about 2000 miles and traded the bike for a car after investing 3 grand for the bike, and another 2-3 grand on fixing it up and moding it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, and I just found out when I took it to the bike shop that it's actually an 2002. The registration is wrong! I'm ok with that though. Two days I should have a good idea as to what's wrong. they will put it on a dyno if need be. I'm thinking valve adjustment and throttle positioning sensor? very hard to tell. they said people have a habit of tinkering with these bikes, and who knows whats been done, so wish my new baby luck!

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
cichlid said:
yea, and I just found out when I took it to the bike shop that it's actually an 2002. The registration is wrong! I'm ok with that though. Two days I should have a good idea as to what's wrong. they will put it on a dyno if need be. I'm thinking valve adjustment and throttle positioning sensor? very hard to tell. they said people have a habit of tinkering with these bikes, and who knows whats been done, so wish my new baby luck!
Good luck and I wish you teh best in finding the problem as least expensively as possible :thumb:

E.
labor charges are rediculous :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I doubt you need a valve adjustment. How many miles you got on her? If the dealership tried to talk you into one, be carefull, they might be padding their bottom line.
It could theoretically, have something to do with your valves, but its highly unlikely... I'm guessing the problem is much simples.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Anytime you turn the keys to the dealers, you need to have an open bank account. Unless the mechanic is your friend.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
best to find a friend who knows their stuff about bikes. Ask around and I bet you can find a dealership mechanic that can do side jobs for a good deal on labor. One of my friends does this and charges about 25-35 bucks an hour and does fantastic jobs. No BS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
21,500 mi, dont know what has been done to the bike. Even if it hasn't had a valve adjustment, they "the dealer" didn't think it was the problem. It revs fine, once you get it above 2grand, so a valve adjust doesn't seem likely. Its as if the computer isn't giving the jets the right amount of opening time, or it is, at the wrong time. i'm thinking sensors... maybee sending the wrong info to the box? could your clutch screw up hp. in some way? Is it possible for a clutch that is loose or worn to drag the engine in some way? It shifts fine, but 1st gear is almost impossible to get out of. I have to keep the bike at 5grand from a stop until I get to about 20mph, slowly dragging while I leave the clutch barely let out. That's some major reving!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the dealer did a compression check,pressure drain,tested injectors, checked spark, fuel pump, all was FINE! when they did a vaccume test the two center cylinders were not getting any suction because the rubber gaskets that hold the intake manifold to the head were warn really bad. $350 total. $120 for inspection labor, $144 for gaskets & $90 for labor to put it back together. I'm very glad the engine is fine, that was my biggest worry. I was only running on two cylinders!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts