Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 900RR Stage 1 jets D&D exhaust. I can power wheelie and clutch it in 1st. I can ride 1st and 2nd gear wheelies. I've tried using the same clutchin method in 2nd gear around 6500-7000rpms. But the front end does not budge. can ANYONE give me pointers on second gear wheelies. I'm almost positive the bike can do it, right?

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd like to hear someone's technique on this too! Using the clutch in 2nd, I can just get the front to pop up a little bit, but not a real wheelie. I've seen people start wheelies @ 75 mph and I know they're using the clutch.

------------------
"You sure do love animals, don't you?"

"When it's cold enough..."

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Man I'll tell ya I think I've answered this
question and posted it too.

CBR600F4GD (Geoff) and me both do 2nd gear
wheelies without clutching it in 2nd. All
you need to do is take the bike upto about
mid-tack. Right where the power starts
to come on. Now the key is you need to sit
back, far back on the seat. Time it so that
you are about to hit a bump or a small rise
in the road while sitting back there with the
bike right at the beginning of power band.
Hit the bump and smack the throttle wide open
while giving a nice tug on the handle bars.
Practice, practice, practice will do it all.
This will work, Geoff can launch some nice
ones with his 600 so you guys with your 900s
should have no problem. NO need to use the
clutch. The bike has enough balls.

Good Luck!

Chris

P.S. - I've just recently learned how to pull
up the front - no clutch - no bump - just
on the power in 2nd be leaning back and
tugging really hard at about 80 to 90 mph.
Pretty cool when you are next to somebody!! :D

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited July 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I first bought my F4 I thought that I needed a bump to do second gear wheelies. I never use the clutch and don't suggest that you do either. Now that i am more in tune with my bike I can pretty much throw it up at will in second gear simply by letting off the gas (in the sweet spot, of course) pushing down on the bars and tugging while opening the throttle. This works well but because you are using most of the power to get the bike up the gear ends quickly as does the wheelie. If you really want to ride a long wheelie, get it up and first and quickly shift into second w/o using the clutch. Now you will be able to use the entire second gear which should be good for at least 250-300 yards. I still don't have the balls to shift into third, but I can ride some nice long ones of a bump in the road through third gear. Practica makes perfect, and order some new fork seals now so you have them when the time comes. Some real wheelie Gods suggest bringing the bike to the balance point and instead of using the throttle to modulate the position of the front wheel they suggest tapping on the rear brake to keep from looping it while keeping the gas on hard. Something that I might just work on. :D

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbr600f4gd:
they suggest tapping on the rear brake to keep from looping it while keeping the gas on hard. Something that I might just work on. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is there another use? :D :D :D

------------------
"You sure do love animals, don't you?"

"When it's cold enough..."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

I see you post to just about everything LOL (keep it up). I have riden my friends R1 ( I think that's what you have) and I have done second gear wheelies, without a problem. I can't seem to work it on my bike. I have tried all different rpm ranges, clutching, and roll-on's. I can shift into second once up. But I want to try to start the wheelie's in second because it's really hard to shift while sitting on the tank :) Being in second (starting off) gives me the advantage of riding it out farther.

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 99 900 RR. The only way I can get it up in second is to get on it hard at about 5-6 grand and as it hits 7-8 keep the throttle pinned and quickly fan the clutch. don't pull the clutch all the way in just squeeze it for a split second. Time that with a yank on the bars and it will come right up.

I agree with Goeff though, the best way is to bring it up in first and then hit second.
It gives you all of second to play with. Shift into second at a low rpm >7000. If you get higher than that in first they can become a real handfull.

Better yet learn on a dirtbike, if I had made the mistakes on my dirtbikes on streetbikes, I don't think I would still be here.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tirefryer:

Better yet learn on a dirtbike, if I had made the mistakes on my dirtbikes on streetbikes, I don't think I would still be here.

Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not go this route however some of the
BEST wheelies kings come from dirt. It is
alot better place to learn than the street.

Chris :p :cool: :p

Oh yeah, well Yamaha Transmissions are shaky
so I try not to shift in a wheelie from
1st to 2nd. It's nasty nasty nasty notchy.
If I do shift, which I do not have down to
an art yet, it's from 2nd to 3rd. Much
smoother. I don't feel like I am going to
kill the tranny that way.

Good luck ya'll! Yeeeee Haaaaaa!

Chris

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts