Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to upgrade my 2003 kawasaki ex250 to an R6 or another 600cc sportbike, What changes besides boost of power should I be aware of?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That the bike will be rather unforgiving in handeling. You cannot flick the 600cc peaky engine bike around like the 250. Still a bit of practice as you sensible work put your hrs on the bike & that will be basically it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Better, smoother, faster. Takes no prisoners. You'll love it.

R6's have a very paculiar clutch. from the bar, the first 80% of movement do nothing. The next 20% do everything. Makes it very easy to stall the engine. Just be carefull at first, everything is real touchy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the clutch friction zone, is there a way to make it 66 percent nothing to 33 percent movement? I had a clutch lever replaced on my ex and the guy made the friction zone "wider"

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Bikes are all a bit different in the clutch control lever. Do not sweat over it for you will adapt to what is on your bike immediately. With three sportbikes they are all a bit different yet I ride them, like one at a time, once or twice a week.

As owner of a m/c shop & also the mechanic I was handeling customers strange set-up to even foot clutch & hand gear change systems along with different foot shift & hand shift patterns, so really not much of a problem as it is a part of m/cing & always makes things more interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1500, I ran without any oil and the engine overheated. hopefully kawasaki warranties that shit if not i'm fucked.

·
Registered
675 Posts
running the bike out of oil is considered operator error, not manufacture defect. Good luck w/that. The shop that will warantee it must keep the parts removed for a period of years for any type's of inspections by the franchise. Also they must fill out a warantee claim that completely details the problem. The dealer will not warantee it if they feel the franchise will deny the claim cause they won't get paid.

By overheat do you mean seized up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I was riding it then all of a sudden the engine died and I took off the seat cover and steam started coming out.

The fucked up part is that I had an oil change five hundred miles ago

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Wait a second. Did you have oil in the engine? If the oil is 500 miles overdue, thats not a big deal, the engine should still work fine.
If you drained the oil and didnt fill it back up and ran for 500 miles, that a different story.

Is the 250 air cooled or watercooled?

·
Registered
675 Posts
the way i read his post it sounded like the engine had no oil.

if you had an oil change who did it? If the dealer did it I would take it back to them. It's not a 2cycle engine it shouldn't burn oil excpecially at that rate! I have 20K on my bike and it burns no oil.

If you changed the oil then there is an issue.... Is the drain plug still in? I have heard of people changing their own oil and the drain plug falling out while riding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm guessing the dealer that did the oil change didn't tighten the drain bolt.

That's why I do the oil myself (I'm sure 95% of other riders do). And I visually check it first thing in the morning and at the first stoplight on the way to work.

I'd say you're fukced since you run it out of oil/drainbolt fell out or whatever. It wasn't Kawasaki's fault so they're probably not gonna do anything about it.

250 is water cooled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike was running with no oil. I took the bike to get an oil change 500 miles back. The dealer that I took it to said that there was no oil and the drainage plug was still there. I was reading the extended warranty that the I bought (not kawa's) and it covers the engine for:

"All internal lubricated parts, coolant pump and turb o charger. Cylinder and cylinder head only if damaged by a mechanical breakdown of an internally lubricated part."

Anything I can do or say to the dealer/adjusters to swing the warranty to my favor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, when they told you it was running without any oil what happened then? Did you get the oil changed, or just go about your day?

Unless there is a defect that caused the bike to burn/run out of oil in an unusual manner I would say you're probablly screwed :/

Anything that is preventable usually isn't covered under warranties, but then again I could be wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine seized, so that was when I took it to the service and they told me it had no oil in the diagnostic, which caused the engine to seize. But my question is:

How does new oil "leave" your bike in 2 months while the drain plug is still in? (unless the mechanic who changed the oil fucked up)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Did you buy this bike new? if so, who did the 600 miles service?

·
Registered
675 Posts
something's fishy here.....

new or old bikes will not just pull a disappearing act with the oil.... poof it's gone! If it was burning enough oil that it ran dry in 500 mi you would leave a smoke trail behind you thick enough to follow it home after your ride.

Someone is f'ing with you... either someone doesn't like you and drained it on you or the dealer is pulling some $hit either way you should look into this further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could it be from dropping the bike? I dropped the bike once on the right...Could it have made the oil go elsewhere? I'm the first of anyone I know who has a motorcycle so no one would knoe how to drain out the oil or any of that sort.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts