Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wut up,
Don't flame me for this post.

Can a ninja 250 beat a Mustang GT off the line and 0-60. On my 250 I raced civics, integras, accords, and other ricers. I read on a couple motorcycle forums that a Mustang can beat a 250.

I looked at the stats and the 0-60 for a 250 is somewhere from 5 sec to 5.5 sec.
And stats for a 2001 Mustang GT is 5.9 sec to 6.1

I will race one soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
With stats so close (0-60 times you quoted), it would probably depend on the rider/driver to see who won. If I had to guess on the win, I would go with the Mustang though even though I'm not a fan of those cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Good Evening All-

There's no replacement for displacement. A new FoMoCo Mustang GT will beat a Kawasaki Ninja 250 in virtually any performance contest....assuming we're talking about the V8 motor, of course.

The little Kawasaki just doesn't have enough "grunt" to yank it off the line and get it racing towards 60 m.p.h. with authority.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
LMAO no way in hell a 250 can beat a good stang.
i seen a ninja 250 at the track waht a turd... my guess was a high
14 but i wasnt even close it ran a high 16 in the quarter at around
low 80s. a newer stang can hit 13s with ease at around 100mph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Ninja 250 vs Mustang

Actually, I like this post. Statistically speaking, the race wouldn't be that far off. The best magazine test time I've seen for a Ninja 250 in the quarter mile was a 14.8. The current 260hp Mustang GT runs a 14.0. So, in a perfect world, the little Ninjette isn't that far behind.

However, I thnk that it would take a fairly skilled rider to extract the maximum performance out of a Ninja 250 in a dragrace. It would be hard not to bog the bike off the line. You really would have to launch that bike at high rpm and slip the clutch a lot to keep it in the powerband. (you probably already know this). Whereas, a V-8 powered car like the Mustang could use it's prodigous amount of torque to "walk outta the hole" pretty quickly without much drama.

Have fun and best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Drag racing cars against bikes is a bad idea. Too many ways for either vehicle to lose control off the line. Bike and car collisions don't usually fair well for the bike. Best done by comparing time slips.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I found this, but I'm not sure what year Ninja 250 this is for.
Not much has changed over the years, so it should still be accurate.



Performance Stats

0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) 5.75 sec
1/4 Mile 14.6 sec @ 88 mph
Maximum Speed 105 mph (170 km/h)
Max Horsepower 36 @ 11000 RPM (26 @ rear wheel)
Max Torque 18 Ft/Lbs @ 10000 RPM (14 @ rear wheel)
Fuel Efficiency 55-75 MPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
With racing anything that has simiar numbers its not really going to depend on the number them slef. On paper it may look all good and dandy, however in a race there are so many variables that can take place. That its going to go back and forth. A lot would have to do with how good the drivers are with there respectitive vechicals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
sinister988 said:
I found this, but I'm not sure what year Ninja 250 this is for.
Not much has changed over the years, so it should still be accurate.



Performance Stats

0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) 5.75 sec
1/4 Mile 14.6 sec @ 88 mph
Maximum Speed 105 mph (170 km/h)
Max Horsepower 36 @ 11000 RPM (26 @ rear wheel)
Max Torque 18 Ft/Lbs @ 10000 RPM (14 @ rear wheel)
Fuel Efficiency 55-75 MPG
I think some of that is a little old. My 250 tops out at 110mph with me on it ( 220lbs 5"11' ) bone stock. I have seen 5.5 0-60 and 14.4 1/4 mile times on my last few runs at the strip.

I can hear it now, running a 250 on a drag strip:twofinger I did it as a joke during a test-n-tune night a few months back and have done it every time I've been there since cuz it always get a few laughs until I run better times that 90% of the Honda cages that are there...

My brother builds sleeper cars for a living and I've driven a few of them for preliminary (stock) numbers and almost all of the V8 mustangs (88-02 models) have had better 0-60 numbers but a few have close and/or identical 0-60 numbers. The 1/4 times are close for some models/years and few are slower than the 250. Granted these are not "brand new" cars and they aren't run at the same time since they do not allow bikes to run against cars so other factors come into play (Temp, humidity, etc., etc. )

Proof that the times are close is here Mustang Mach I 305hp 5.6 0-60 or SVT Mustang FORGET IT 0-60 4.86 and 99' GT 260hp 5.4 0-60 and these are "professional driver" and are probably getting the best out of the cars.
a newer stang can hit 13s with ease at around 100mph
As you can see from the above links, the "professionals" are able to get a 13.88 in the Mach I, and 14.0 in the GT, so most "non-professional" everyday drivers probably aren't getting in the 13 range with the exception of the $37,000 SVT. So I have to say that if I got into some major tuning on the 250 on par with the mods done to achieve the Mach I & SVT numbers, the 250 could compete. As for the "base" GT, the 250 already is close enough to be the same when you consider all the variables ( driver/rider, track conditions, age/condition of the vehicles, etc., etc. )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Gottico said:
I think some of that is a little old. My 250 tops out at 110mph with me on it ( 220lbs 5"11' ) bone stock. I have seen 5.5 0-60 and 14.4 1/4 mile times on my last few runs at the strip.

I can hear it now, running a 250 on a drag strip:twofinger I did it as a joke during a test-n-tune night a few months back and have done it every time I've been there since cuz it always get a few laughs until I run better times that 90% of the Honda cages that are there...

My brother builds sleeper cars for a living and I've driven a few of them for preliminary (stock) numbers and almost all of the V8 mustangs (88-02 models) have had better 0-60 numbers but a few have close and/or identical 0-60 numbers. The 1/4 times are close for some models/years and few are slower than the 250. Granted these are not "brand new" cars and they aren't run at the same time since they do not allow bikes to run against cars so other factors come into play (Temp, humidity, etc., etc. )

Proof that the times are close is here Mustang Mach I 305hp 5.6 0-60 or SVT Mustang FORGET IT 0-60 4.86 and 99' GT 260hp 5.4 0-60 and these are "professional driver" and are probably getting the best out of the cars.
As you can see from the above links, the "professionals" are able to get a 13.88 in the Mach I, and 14.0 in the GT, so most "non-professional" everyday drivers probably aren't getting in the 13 range with the exception of the $37,000 SVT. So I have to say that if I got into some major tuning on the 250 on par with the mods done to achieve the Mach I & SVT numbers, the 250 could compete. As for the "base" GT, the 250 already is close enough to be the same when you consider all the variables ( driver/rider, track conditions, age/condition of the vehicles, etc., etc. )
one the new cobra hits 12s stock, and im no professional but i can easily hit hit 13s with my stock 88 stang, and my other buddy hits low 14s stock with his 92. and still the stang is going to win against the ninja unless the
driver of the stang has no clue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
ohsoquik02 said:
one the new cobra hits 12s stock, and im no professional but i can easily hit hit 13s with my stock 88 stang, and my other buddy hits low 14s stock with his 92. and still the stang is going to win against the ninja unless the
driver of the stang has no clue.
Yup, I can see a low 13's in a 88' Mustang or low 14's in a 92', that’s why I said “some” not all. As for your mention of a Cobra hitting 12's stock I don’t know if your referring to the SVT Cobra, which does 13.12 stock per the link in my post. As I said, a 250 is no contest with the SVT Cobra, but if I was to mod out the 250 to the extent that the SVT Cobra is, the 250 would probably beat it. Or are you referring to the Shelby Cobra with a 605hp V-10 which is clearly not a Mustang.

I have had better times on my 250 than some of the Mustangs that I have seen and driven at the track. The only way to really see is a head to head run which isn’t allowed at the my local strip.

Lets not forget, we are comparing the lowest of the line (the 250) to the higher models of the line (GT, Mach I, SVT Cobra)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Errors

Gottico said:
I think some of that is a little old. My 250 tops out at 110mph with me on it ( 220lbs 5"11' ) bone stock.
It's very important to realise that our speedometers are rank with error, and even maybe built to over read by the manufacturers. I have on occasion taken my GPS out with me on high speed runs (honestly not that smart to be looking at a GPS while driving real fast) on the 9r and the faster you go the worse the error gets. So take your speedo reading with a grain of salt.:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Gottico said:
Yup, I can see a low 13's in a 88' Mustang or low 14's in a 92', that’s why I said “some” not all. As for your mention of a Cobra hitting 12's stock I don’t know if your referring to the SVT Cobra, which does 13.12 stock per the link in my post. As I said, a 250 is no contest with the SVT Cobra, but if I was to mod out the 250 to the extent that the SVT Cobra is, the 250 would probably beat it. Or are you referring to the Shelby Cobra with a 605hp V-10 which is clearly not a Mustang.

I have had better times on my 250 than some of the Mustangs that I have seen and driven at the track. The only way to really see is a head to head run which isn’t allowed at the my local strip.

Lets not forget, we are comparing the lowest of the line (the 250) to the higher models of the line (GT, Mach I, SVT Cobra)
i was referring to the 03 S/C cobra, not every driver
drives the same. and a newer gt will hit a higher speed then the
ninja and that ninja would have to leave the line the hardest it
possilby can to hit that mark..if not ive seen 16s with at around high 80s mph on a ninja
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
'03 Cobras can hit 12's stock, and I think I've seen somewhere that a Mach 1 barely dipped into the 12's stock except for some good tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Only way a baby ninja's gonna out drag a mustang gt is if the cage is towing something, and then I think it would still be close :D
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top