Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a guy at next level racing who sells turbos. He says the the turbo for the R1 makes 220 and requires no mods except for a spacer to drop compression. He claims that the stock powerplant will hold up to the abuse. Anyone have any experience with this? the kit is 4600$. Sounds a little pricey but I keep trying to justify it in my mind by thinking that my package would still be less than a stock Ducati.
CRAZY HUH?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
genrally speaking, spacers cause heat, so do turbo's. you should be able to run lower boost (like 5lbs.) and still get close to 200rwhp.

my buddy has a 945rr with a mr turbo kit (includes fuel injection). it took time to sort it out. but it runs good now. but it's really friggin' powerful. make sure you can really ride before you do this. otherwise guys on 600'll blast you in turns.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Turbo...Schmurbo!

I recently had the opportunity to ride a turbo-charged Triumph Speed Triple that was putting out a verified 203rwhp. The turbo unit for this bike costs $5200, not including installation. In stock configuration, and running around 5-6 lbs of boost, this bike was dynoed at 180hp at the crank. After some massaging and MANY modifications (not to mention a couple of blown engines), he is now able to run around 12 lbs of boost. Here is my "riding impression":

Jesus Fuggin Christ! Why?!!! I got on the freeway and was cruising along around 55mph in 3rd. No big deal. I accelerated slowly and shifted to 4th. I thought "this is nothing," so I ripped that throttle to full tilt. For a split second, I was thinking "what a wuss bike, I'm not impressed." That's about the time I started fillin' my pants with shit! It was a fine line between wheelspin and a wheelie, and by the time I came to my senses, I was past 110mph and accelerating at a ridiculous velocity. I backed-off and collected my nerves before doing a 70mph roll-on in 5th gear. Same result, but I was ready this time. I sat far forward to avoid the wheelie, but this induced rear wheelspin. I let off the throttle slightly, feathered the clutch to get the rear hooked-up again, and by the time I let off the throttle fully and glanced at the speedometer, it was indicating around 175mph. I can't imagine it took more than 5 or 6 seconds. Just plain SCARY fast.

Brutha- I don't think it's a "squid" thing to turbo-charge a bike. It all depends on the type of riding you want to do. Personally, I'll take the cornering ability of a bike over the sheer rush of acceleration, anyday. However, there's no denying the fun factor of brute power and straight-line acceleration! I'll take one of each please!!!

Just be aware that there is more to modifying a bike for a turbocharger than just bolting it on. The Triumph I rode is an ongoing project which is proving to cost the guy a small fortune. Good luck!

G

·
Re: Re: Turbo...Schmurbo!

CBR Brutha said:
748_abuser said:

Brutha- I don't think it's a "squid" thing to turbo-charge a bike.
Dude, it was a friggin' joke. As in Haha...funny...get it?
He rides a duck bro,

Don't expected him to understand anything reasonable. :D

[Edited by Squidwannabe on 11-08-2000 at 09:50 AM]

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Turbo...Schmurbo!

Squidwannabe said:

He ride a duck bro,
He "ride" a duck? Yo G, you gossa git yo'seff sum a dat gramma chrainin' or da gramma PoPo be bussin' a cap in yo ass, bitch.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo...Schmurbo!

Pete said:
Squidwannabe said:

He ride a duck bro,
He "ride" a duck? Yo G, you gossa git yo'seff sum a dat gramma chrainin' or da gramma PoPo be bussin' a cap in yo ass, bitch.
Dammit Pete, I'm supposed to be working right now. It's a little hard convincing those around me that I am, while I'm ROFLMMFAO :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Buuuuwaahahahaha!

Pete said:
Squidwannabe said:

He ride a duck bro,
That ain't right LMMFAO!

Jive ass stupid dope mutha trippin' over gramma.

What was the topic again... Oh yeah turbos.. Turbos and bikes just don't go together unless your looking to get quarter mile times. Other than that it's a waiste of motor, money and your punk ass time you crazy white boys! :D:D

G

·
Re: Buuuuwaahahahaha!

chris_y2k_r1 said:
Pete said:
Squidwannabe said:

He ride a duck bro,
That ain't right LMMFAO!

Jive ass stupid dope mutha trippin' over gramma.

What was the topic again... Oh yeah turbos.. Turbos and bikes just don't go together unless your looking to get quarter mile times. Other than that it's a waiste of motor, money and your punk ass time you crazy white boys! :D:D

Pete is just sexually frustrat.... No I have to stop this.

"turbo bad!!! Beer Good !!" Look into a supercharger(2-6 psi) .. They have less power, but work well with stock engines.. 12 psi is just nuts on a bike ...

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Rug Burn - don't you find it peculiar that we both used LMMFAO?? I posted after you sure, but I didn't see your post as you were responding at the same time I was.... Hummmmm I guess Pete, you are just that damn funny! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ha!

Its entertaining watching all you guys get fired up. You know, I didn't really expect any intelligent responses to 220hp. I'll try harder in the future.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:
Rug Burn - don't you find it peculiar that we both used LMMFAO?? I posted after you sure, but I didn't see your post as you were responding at the same time I was.... Hummmmm I guess Pete, you are just that damn funny! :)
Yeah, I still don't know what he said. I've got my "crack" team of ebonics xpertz roll'in on it rawnd de clock tho.

Here's what they have so far...

`Twas Da Night Befo` Christmas

Twas da night befo' Christmas and all in the hood
Not a homie was stirring cuz it was all good
The tube socks was hung on the window sill
and we all had smiles up on our grill

Mookie and BeBe was snug in the crib
in the back bedroom cuz that's how we live
and moms in her do-rag and me with my nine
had just gotten busy cuz girlfriend is fine

All of a sudden a lowrider rolled by
Bumpin phat beats cuz the system's fly
I bounced to the window at a quarter pas'
Bout ready to pop a cap in somebody's--
well anyway

I yelled to my lady, Yo peep this!
She said, Stop frontin just mind yo' bidness
I said, for real doe, come check dis out
We weren't even buggin, no worries, no doubt

Cuz bumpin an thumpin' from around da way
Was Santa, 8 reindeer and a sleigh
Da beats was kickin, da ride was phat
I said, Yo red Dawg, you all that!

He threw up a sign and yelled to his boyz,
"Ay yo, give it up, let's make some noise!
To the top of the projects and across the strip mall,
We gots ta go, I got a booty call!"

He pulled up his ride on the top a da roof
and sippin on a 40, he busted a move
I yelled up to Santa, "Yo ain't got no stack!"
he said, "Damn homie, deese projects is wack!

But don't worry black, cuz I gots da skillz
I learnt back when I hadda pay da billz."
Out from his bag he pulled 3 small tings
a credit card, a knife, and a bobby pin.

he slid down the fire escape smoove as a cat
and busted the window with a b-ball bat
I said, "Whassup, Santa? Whydya bust my place?"
he said,"You best get on up out my face!"

His threads was all leatha, his chains was all gold
His sneaks was Puma and they was 5 years old
He dropped down the duffle, Clippers logo on the side
Santa broke out da loot and my mouf popped open wide.

A wink of his eye and a shine off his god toof
He cabbage patched his way back onto the roof
He jumped in his hooptie with rims made of chrome
To tap that booty waitin at home

and all I heard as he cruised outta sight
was a loud and hearty.....
"WEEESST SIIIIDE!!!!!!!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts