·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this would be my first bike. I'm lookin around on these forums and all I see is

" I'm getin this bike for my wife/ my girlfriend would love that bike!"

and then you see," it looks a LOT better now, I'd get one for commute!"

I think it looks really good...

what are some thoughts here? I'm not just " a poser that wants a cool bike" I'm lookin at this cause it's aparantly a good choice for begginers...but serioiusly...am I gonna get laughed off the street?

·
Registered
307 Posts

I think its a great looking bike and a great starter bike. I guess there is/will be a 500cc version which is even better. Speaking of cool starter bikes, I came across a CBR 125R by accident yesterday after never seeing one before; apparently its sold in Canada but not the US. Cool little bike! I wouldn't mind having one just for fun.

A real rider wouldn't laugh at you for starting on one of these bikes.. if someone does then they can go to hell since they're obviously more interested in showing off than riding.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah it's certainly more of a looker now. Sliders are more essential than ever with the new face lift it's received. I'd certainly shed a tear if I was learning on that and then dropped it. That 125 is just as sexy as the lil Yamaha 125.

·
Registered
892 Posts
ya i think that 125 is the sharpest bike i've seen until you get to the 600's. That 250 is nice too. no1 will laugh at you. being out there on 2 wheels is all most other riders care about.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
parsons2469 said:
this would be my first bike. I'm lookin around on these forums and all I see is

" I'm getin this bike for my wife/ my girlfriend would love that bike!"

and then you see," it looks a LOT better now, I'd get one for commute!"

I think it looks really good...

what are some thoughts here? I'm not just " a poser that wants a cool bike" I'm lookin at this cause it's aparantly a good choice for begginers...but serioiusly...am I gonna get laughed off the street?
Excellent choice! And it really is a looker. My helmet/hat is off to you for making a commendable choice for a first bike :thumbs2:

Try to pay it off or get ahead quick. With a good bike and a good set of tires, you will learn very quickly and be ready to move up in a few years.

Best mods to start out with: Classes and suspension.

·
Registered
307 Posts
^^ I second that.

I have a buddy who wants to get a 2008 600RR next year as his first bike. Never even been on a bike before. He may finance it... which is doubly disastrous.

The MSF course is a great place to start if you haven't taken it already. Later on getting into a novice-class track day is phenomenal. There's slow and fast novices so don't feel intimidated with your bike/skills; I heard a track instructor once had a student that never went over 38 MPH the whole day. Personally, I went to Mid-O with a fast bike to learn my skills and I came out making the tires peel and turn blue and the engine bounce off the rev limiter by the end of the day. Now I'm working on Ohlins suspension front and rear with some trick work on the front. Can't wait to finish it up and try it out next season.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No one will say anything to you. The only people who *might* are...

1) Squids

2) People too chicken to ride at all

In both cases, their opinions aren't worth a grain of salt. The biggest issue with the 250R before was the look, not so much the size. And the look, with 2008, has improved greatly. Good looking bike, imo.

Once you get out on the road, you'll realize that the "biker community" really does only care that you ride. Not the size or look.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If you do a few track days, you should be considerably faster than newer riders with 600's. Its easier to learn on a slower bike that isnt scraring you. You spend your time perfecting your skill, while other riders are still trying to maintain their concentration and keep their bike in check.
And that would be a victory to savor!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was kinda worried about gettin the same crap miata guys get for drivin a "girl car". good it dosnt really carry over

would be a real reality check for a "600 guy" to get beat by me tho. kinda hard to talk their way outa that one haha

heck the bike's is only 300 pounds and I'm a lean 5.10 160 so that might help even more

really though, I did the streetracing thing, and it just isnt worth it, especially on a motorcycle. it's fun, but not somthin I'd risk my future for

almost seems unfair to get a bike that looks THAT good, with 70mpg, and it has to be a LOT more fun than the "beater car" youd get for the same price

I'll be gettin the 08 at the end of january, definatly somthing to work forward to. black sets it off I think

so a squid isn't the same thing as someone new...it's the retarded ones that buy a bike they cant handle? the loud mouth punks of the motorcycle world? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
parsons2469 said:
so a squid isn't the same thing as someone new...it's the retarded ones that buy a bike they cant handle? the loud mouth punks of the motorcycle world? lol
= :squid: Exactly. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, I figure I'll save up and upgrade in a year or so, till then tho. this will be a fun ride

only thing that sucks though...the dating thing. no passenger seat on one of those lol

I'm really hopin the whole "girls are into motorcycles" thing is true...cause this is my only transportation haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
HOLY $HIT!

Some one that is taking good advice! Good for you.
I have had Many bike. The bigest and fastest, latest and greatest over the last 25 years, and I still have and enjoy riding my 250 Ninja.
You, my man, are not a squid.

BTW, is that CBR 125 avalable in the US?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: HOLY $HIT!

stimacsays said:
Some one that is taking good advice! Good for you.

You, my man, are not a squid.

BTW, is that CBR 125 avalable in the US?
good to know, feels a lot better to at least be a step above the people that get reemed on these boards lol no one jumpin down my thoat is a great start

I did a little online searching, I got that it's only available in canada and england or whatever. not in the US

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Lovely looking bike & that or a skelton form would be THE bike to replace my '97 Yamaha YZF600r for short runs & runs around town.

Mind you for the mountain road I have a Honda 929 & 954 for said long runs in the twisties.

Like others I would put on a set of sliders for the fairing can be roughed up if the bike ends on one side or the other.

·
Registered
56 Posts
damn that CBR 125 is sexy, i might just have to go through the trouble to import one, just to have as a bike for messing around. sometimes its more fun and more comical racing slow things with friends than racing the latest and greatest. plus there is no way girls would know it has a smaller engine in it so it is still good ;)

anyone know what that would top out at?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the CBR 125R aside from the smaller engine is it looks like it has two front tires.. it just looks odd to me after begin used to sportbikes for ahwile. Other than that I would love to have it as a little daily runabout while leaving my big expensive 600 at home since the more mods I do and the more money I put in the more nervous I get riding it everywhere and leaving it places which reduces the fun a little. That's what makes these cool smaller bike appealing to me.. they're relatively inexpensive to keep and fun.

·
Registered
892 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
The only thing I don't like about the CBR 125R aside from the smaller engine is it looks like it has two front tires.. .
I think its past your bedtime OSU....theres only one tire...lol and there not all out to get you! Step away from the computer! :twofinger :cheers:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts