Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced poor or inconsistant shift quality from their 06 R6? I know they have had problems in the past but I'm not sure if the gearbox has been sorted out yet. I noticed it more since my first oil change where I put Repsol Moto 10W-50 in it, and I do not know if they come with synthetic in them. It really shifts like shit up and down when cold, but I figure that's normal. Now when it is up to temp I still have problems mostly when downshifting from 4-3 or 3-2 gears which can really screw things up royally when cornering. Any input will help in regurds to synthetic oils, or experience with the infamous Yamaha gearbox. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ridden one this weekend, and noticed absolutely no problems with the gearbox. Conventional wisdom holds that you should not switch to synthetic untill 3k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conventional wisdom. Well, I'm not sure what your getting at but thanks for responding. I'll assume it's the myth of breaking in equipment with conventional oil which is debateable, however, the bulk of my knowledge is in the automotive field, specifically Audi. I'm pretty much still in the dark about Motorcycle maintenance. It's a good thing I'm a quick study. I may switch it to whatever it comes from the factory with for a while and see if it helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Well the official explanation is that the valves wont seat with synthetic. I'm not sure that I believe that or not, but I followed it. I do know that oil has a great deal to do with how your bike shifts, so its worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard the same thing. I think any engine should be seated, tested, broken in etc.. all from the factory no matter what, especially with sportbikes, but I'm an idealist. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I just don't want to be that douche-bag that complains about crap that is my fault. Being a technician, I know how freakin' anoying that can be.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Absolutely. For the life of me, I dont know what the oil weight has to do with valves sitting, or wether they actually need to seated or if they come fully functional and its something left over from the 60's. But there is a great deal about engines I dont know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts