Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the difference between the two are? Ive noted different rims on the tires as well as a minor differences in the fairing and paint but is their any real differences asside from the price difference?

Thanks,
Sepias

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
Can someone tell me what the difference between the two are?...
Here's the specs on each. The only thing I can see, other than the paint, wheels and price is the rear shock and weight. The LE says it has an Öhlins rear and weighs 2lbs more.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

2006 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
Specifications

In a Nutshell: Special 50th Anniversary Yellow/Black paint with a numbered serial plate and gold Marchesini wheels; only 500 of these machines will be produced.

Engine:
Type: 998cc, liquid-cooled, 20-valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder
Displacement: 998cc
Bore and Stroke: 77mm x 53.6mm
Fuel System: Fuel injection, dual-valve throttle bodies with motor-driven secondary valves
Compression Ratio: 12.4:1
MPG: NA

Drivetrain:
Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
Final Drive: #530 O-ring chain

Brakes:
Front: Dual 320mm discs; radial-mount forged 4-piston calipers
Rear: 220mm disc w/single-piston pin-slide caliper

Suspension:
Front: 43mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7 in. travel
Rear: Single Öhlins shock w/adjustable preload, seperate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 5.1" travel

Wheels and Tires:
Front: 120/70-ZR17 tire
Rear: 190-50-ZR17 tire

Dimensions:
Length: 82.1 in.
Seat Height: 32.9 in.
Rake and Trail: 24.0 degrees / 3.8 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
Weight: 383 lbs. dry
Fuel Capacity: 4.75 gals.

Miscellaneous:
Colors: 50th Anniversary Yellow/Black
Price: $18,000
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

2006 Yamaha YZF-R1
Specifications

In a Nutshell: GP tech trickles down with revised rigidity of the main frame between the engine mounts and steering head, a new, more rigid lower triple clamp, and a 20mm-longer swingarm. Shorter valve guides and other revisions increase intake flow and reduce friction for more power.

Engine:
Type: 998cc, liquid-cooled, 20-valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder
Displacement: 998cc
Bore and Stroke: 77mm x 53.6mm
Fuel System: Fuel injection, dual-valve throttle bodies with motor-driven secondary valves
Compression Ratio: 12.4:1
MPG: NA

Drivetrain:
Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
Final Drive: #530 O-ring chain

Brakes:
Front: Dual 320mm discs; radial-mount forged 4-piston calipers
Rear: 220mm disc w/single-piston pin-slide caliper

Suspension:
Front: 43mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7 in. travel
Rear: Single shock w/adjustable preload, separate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 5.1" travel

Wheels and Tires:
Front: 120/70-ZR17 tire
Rear: 190-50-ZR17 tire

Dimensions:
Length: 82.1 in.
Seat Height: 32.9 in.
Rake and Trail: 24.0 degrees / 3.8 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
Weight: 381 lbs. dry
Fuel Capacity: 4.75 gals.

Miscellaneous:
Colors: Team Yamaha Blue/White; 50th Anniversary Yellow/Black; Raven
Price: $11,299 - $11,599
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the specs. I was pretty sure that it was just priced 10k more just because its special.

Thanks,
Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I think there is more to it than that.. I'm pretty sure the forks were ohlins on the LE...

·
Registered
75 Posts
It has Ohlins suspension and Marchassini wheels and should come with corsa tires I believe!

It's alot more than just special. But if your not racing you won't really need the extra $10,000 in Parts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
yep, i've got an 05 and have been :drool: over the anniversary 06 but am not real sure about it being worth the money, not to mention that all my other vehicles are in red and black and am not sure if i want to step out of the pattern and go with yellow.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
R1 differences

Careful, I almost got tripped up on this one myself:

Yamaha makes the "base" plain R1. It comes in either blue or black.

Then, they have the 50th Anniversary R1, which is nothing more than the regular base model with different paint (yellow/blk) for another $200 over the cost of the base model.

On top of that, they make the LE (limited edition) model- which is the one with the tricked out suspension, Marchesini wheels, and all the other pricey little bits. Along with the big $18K price tag.

To add to the confusion, the LE comes only in 50th Anniversary colors!

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
kawasaga said:
Sure, how much weight is that really? 250lbs split in two?
Actually, it's more than that. The weight between the stands and the front tyre is split. Everything to the left of the stands is being supported by the stands only.

(I predict that Vash will be here momentarily.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
cookeetree said:
Actually, it's more than that. The weight between the stands and the front tyre is split. Everything to the left of the stands is being supported by the stands only.

(I predict that Vash will be here momentarily.)
I'd like to know too, because if I can get away from spending $100 plus on a stand and just use jack stands that I already have...well that would be pretty cool!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only put it on the jack stands while washing it. But think about it, even if the stands/footpegs are taking all the weight they better hold or someday your feet will be on the ground. I am sure somewhere in the world a 280 to 300 lb guy is riding an R1. If he stands up to go over speed bumbs the pegs will see more than 300 lbs of stress. The bolts that hold on the "V' shaped aluminum are approx. 5/16" if not bigger, and the bolt on the footpeg is approx. 1/2" the shear strength of all these bolts is more than 300lbs. The foot pegs should be one of the strongest points on the bike. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
Someday I will get a stand because it is kinda hard to get the bike on the stands by yourself. I extend one side at a time until the rear tire is off the ground.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Aftermarket rearset with rigid pegs are plent strong to hold a bike like that. It is done very frequently in the racing world. We support bikes worth WAY more than the R1/LE like that all the time. I ride a CBR1000RR and can easily put 250+ lbs on a peg in certain situations. I weigh probably 280lbs with gear anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
not to flame you or anything, but whats with posting that huge-ass picture of your bike up at any chance you get?? It dosn't even look street-legal...

·
Registered
272 Posts
haha, I fuigre maby he just got it and is exited to show it off, it is a nice bike.. I just got a bit annoyed seeing the huge picture in three different threads.... not trying to pick a fight or anything mate, just expresing myself:twofinger

EDIT: oops, missed a word..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts