Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i can get a hell of a deal on a practically brand new one, only has 140 miles. is it worth the extra cash im gonna spend over my zx6r? i love the zx6r, but its an 04 with almost 5k and for not a lot more money (less than $2g more) i can have this 06 new gix6. if any of you have been on one, i would really appreciate your input. all i have to go off of is reviews and road tests.

gixxers have never been on the top of my list, but i know the new one is supposed to be awesome...

·
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid
1,142 Posts
Where have you heard its awsome? So far i havent' even see the gixxer place 2nd in a magazine.

I have ridden an 06 gixxer 600 just last week. Although it feals very different than my 06 r6, i just feel like it lacks in the handleing dept. I rode it around it felt alright nothing compaired to my r6.

Im not sure what else you need to know, if you want something specific about it let me know, i just felt like it wasnt' that great of a machine.

The Gear indicator gets a big :thumb: in my book tho.

Comon 5k? who cares, there is 29k on my 00 r6, and i hit 2k on my 06 r6 this past week.

-Nick

J

·
0 Posts
You should spend more time riding, less time talking about and selling bikes... My opinion...
A word about Suzuki street bikes...
I feel the handling is dull and slow... Sketchy geometry and thus why a damper is used...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
linkinpark0726 said:
Plus i think its really gay making the 600, 750, and 1000 all look the same, lots of r&d in that one.

Just my 2 cents even tho you probably don't care :)

-Nick
Well, Iif Suzuki still lived at home they wouldn't have to exercise smart business practices :twofinger

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jackdrinker said:
You should spend more time riding, less time talking about and selling bikes... My opinion...
A word about Suzuki street bikes...
I feel the handling is dull and slow... Sketchy geometry and thus why a damper is used...
hmm yeah cause ive only put 2500 miles on my zx6r in 5 weeks...not enough riding i guess. oh not to mention i only made $4800 profit (not net sales, profit) in the last month and a half selling bikes. i guess i should dumb it down huh.

ive been looking up road tests, even though there arent that many, but everything i have seen so far really likes the gix6, is the 06 600 shootout from cycle world out yet? i normally find their shootouts very informative.

and nick i wasnt commenting that my bike has a lot of miles, i know 5k is nothing, but 142 miles is brand new.

headlight, i heard that about the 1000. i was hoping the lighter 600 would be a little more agile.

nick, i really like what they did with the looks, but gixxers have always looked all similar, and atleast now there is a pretty definite difference in the 600/750 style and the 1000, though i do agree still similar. i do like the 600/750 better than the 1000 though.

so i mean yeah i can look at road tests, etc, but i was just wondering who has been one one, and if you have then have you been on a 636 and how do you feel they compare. i basically am wondering if its a step up to go to an 06 gix or stick with my 04 636, cause i like both bikes about equal to the extent of my limited knowledge on the new gix, basically its the whole brand new factor for not a lot more money that is really pulling me towards it.

·
1,142 Posts
Like i said, if you want specific questions answered let me know, cause that i can do. I personally would stay with the 636, from riding a friends, and riding the new gixxer, i like the 636 feal.

Man chris you have all the comments, im sorry im 20 years old am working almost full time and go to school full time that i don't have a house of my own yet :twofinger. Give it less than a year and i will focker.

I know your a suzuki fan, but i just think its funny, they pretty much design 1 bike, build it if it works, the next year they put the 750 and 600 motor in almost the exact same frame, and then put the same bodywork on it and throw out a bike. And that is why suzuki's 600's blow. They spend all their money on the 1000, and it shows, that bike is from what i heard a killer bike (other than all the frames cracking).

Do what ever you want nate, like i said i have ridden all the 600's except the 675 and i fuckin want to so bad. If you have specific questions i can answer them.

And i think the gixxer 600 is slow, i was pulling friend of mine on the straight by quite a bit, and i am a easy 60lbs heavier than he is.

Also what magazine says they like the gix 600? I have read a lot of them and that bike has only been in the top 2 one magazine, the rest it is 2nd to last to the honda 600rr.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'll go against the crowd on this one - you seem to want to hear good reviews so you can justify getting it. If it's 2 yrs newer, not much more, and you want it - just buy the f-ing thing. Just report back to us with a comparison between the two.

·
1,142 Posts
jjkGURU said:
I'll go against the crowd on this one - you seem to want to hear good reviews so you can justify getting it. If it's 2 yrs newer, not much more, and you want it - just buy the f-ing thing. Just report back to us with a comparison between the two.
I think you sould save your money keep the 636, and if you want new probably buy the 07 636.

I gave a good review, only thing i can say better than my 06 r6 that the gix has is a gear indicator.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i googled "2006 gsxr 600" and pulled up a bunch of reviews and stuff. no comparisons or shootouts, which is what i wanted. i forget what sites, google it if u want. it was like actual pro riders or editors reviewing, cause i normally dont take heed to what people say on product review sites. most of them, this is their first bike, or first bike in 10 years, and they think its the greatest thing ever...and its the same for every bike, to the people on there its the best bike.

so honestly, if anyone has any links to anything or personal experience like nick, i do really appreciate it. the only other thing i can say is im no pro rider, i dont do track days, im a daily rider. if the gix6 is a hair slower, or a hair less better on handling, then its not a huge deal. but still its important...

but i do really like the looks, and its the black and dark red color, which i didnt even know about until i found this bike...looks pretty sharp. but i also love the looks of the zx6r...

decisions decisions, thanks everyone, and thanks james for backin my ass up for no good reason, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

J

·
0 Posts
The 636 will have a better feel overall..
Better suspension and handling feedback..
Power will be greater, where you want it on the street.. Down low
The next big thing in bikes will be the 07' Honda's..
With the RC-211V being recreated to meet the 800CC cap in motoGP they will have a 100% new bike..
I feel sorry for anyone who bought an RR of any CC since 04' as they are behind times...
If you do a tn of highway miles, look at liter bike..
Thats what I regret, the buzzy feel of a small bore bike on the highway...
Buy what feels good to you.. Mag reviews are biased based on AD dollars... There are guys out there that will steal your Mojo on an SV650... Matter of fact, there is a video of a KTM560SMR and a Gixxer somewhere on the net and the supermoto bike was making the Gixxer look foolish..

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
From my experience with GSXR's in general, they ride differently than other bikes when it comes to the twisty riding, so that could be where someone would think the handling sucks just by taking one for a spin around the block or up and down a highway. Once you get them in the twisties, you learn to appreciate the way they handle. I think if you are an average rider and do not shift body weight in twisties and tight turns, like you should, you will not enjoy the bike, they just are not as forgiving as a lot of other bikes. Never rode the new one, but I am sure it would still stand true on how it handles where it counts. Comfort....there are definitely other bikes that are more comfortable. Fawk the reviews and all the other rag wording. You are probably nowhere near their level of riding anyway. Shoot out. I am sure some kid on a fricken 250 could run some people on a 1k, if he knew how to launch better, hit the turns better....blah blah blah. Just get what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually, in the reviews i read online, it said the new gixxer is actually very smooth and powerful over the whole rpm range, and especially down low where it was lacking before. also they hailed the handling and cornering ability.

i ride a lot of just riding, like to work etc...but i get into it hard in turns when i can, and i would say im a pretty aggressive rider. i have enjoyed the zx6r so far, and i think its a good bike, but basically i want a new bike but that isnt going to downgrade me on performance. really the only reason im considering this gix is it is so cheap, relatively, for a new bike. so i mean i dont want to downgrade horribly on performance, but a new bike would be great, as long as its not a stupid decision. but to each his own, guess ill just have to ride one and see how it is. for what i do, james ur prob right, i dont think its going to matter. i think i will ride both just as good...which may not be that good lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It sounds like you've already made your decision to me. Pretty much everyone on here (aside from 1 or 2 pepole) say the 636 is the way to go. I haven't seen any comparisons on the 600cc bikes for 06 yet, I have seen several reviews on the 06 Gixxer 600/750's in Motorcyclist, Sport Bike, and Fast Bike (UK). They all seem to like it, but they say the 750 is a better buy. The 750 is only 5-7lbs heavier and you get almost 20hp more. The only thing they said negative about it is the handling and that there is a dip in power delivery from 2nd to 3rd gear. That my even be the rider. I say if it's that good of a deal then buy it! If you don't like it or are disappointed then sell it, make a profit, and get another 636.

Mike

P.S. I'm a Kawasaki guy (had an 95' ZX6R, 97' 00' ZX9R, and now an 04' ZX10R) If I were you I'd stick with the 636. You know it's already a great bike!!:2cents:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok well....i bought it. he accepted my offer, though considerably less than what he was asking, which makes it even better. like diesel said, i can always sell it and make more on it lol i seem to have a gift for that. if i hate it, ill just sell it, but i think ill be okay. so...next weekend, ill be rollin around on a black and red gsxr...and one of my best friends since elementary school is buyin my zx6r, so ill be able to ride it whenever i want. sounds good to me. hey, now atleast we will all know how the gsxr actually is. thanks for all the input over the last few hours though, i just love you guys soooooooo much :love:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my bike has a yoshi exhaust...which i could give or take, im not a huge fan, but the dude i got the zx6r gave it to me for 200 bucks and it was brand new. other than blinkers and stuff, no its stock. the gix6 has that new exhaust, like the r6, that mid "gp" exhaust...that bike is 100% stock, its brand new like i said, i kinda feel bad for the guy he just bought it, got in a accident not on the bike, and now cant ride or drive for a year, and loses 1800+ bucks in 3 weeks....

oh well his loss my gain!:twofinger

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Traitor!! :twofinger

I hope you keep the 636...so then when someone asks us which bike is faster, we can laugh and say, "The green one!" :laughing:

Jen

1 - 20 of 38 Posts