Sportbike World banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
It's the same bike that was released as ZX-6R back in 2000, which was indeed a race rep, though not much sensationalized as the other three for the lack of track prowess. It will do wheelie on throttle, the mid-range is up to par with 2003 R6, because back in its day, it was the torquiest 600 cc, a real sleeper. The top end wasn't quite as powerful as the other three, but this is all relative. The midrange of that bike is good enough to flip if the rider doesn't have sensitive throttle control. Anyway... it's considered sport tourer now just like F4i or YZF600R, only because the RR these days provide much sharper track package. That doesn't mean the ZZR or 600R or F4i is short on power.
good stuff. buy what you are comfortable with...just take it easy. just because all these people dont know you on a personal level doesnt mean that you cannot ride a litre sportbike. if you want it, just get it and respect it, dont be stupid, treat it like a lady.
-rOOster-

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That review even said it was good for newbies:confused:

I've also added the ZZR600 to my "recommend to new riders" list. As a journalist, I am frequently asked "I'm thinking about getting a bike, what should I get?" I have always tried to steer new riders towards Suzuki's excellent SV650, but I find that some prospective bike buyers (particularly the young, testosterone-fueled kind) are not interested in anything other than a four-cylinder, fully faired sportbike. In that case, I will happily recommend that they save themselves some cash and go with the ZZR600, a bike that will perform just as well for them as any of the new 600s.
I thought the fairings on the SV650s would be enough, but the Kawi ZZR600 is just to sexy:D

I think I will get this bike and just be careful. I'm not completely new to motorcycles so I think I can handle it if I be as mature as possible when riding.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The bike you have in mind is NOT the sameversion we have in Cdn. What you have your eyes on is closer to the ZZ-6R Ninja. So scratch my post for error in two quiet different bikes. Something like this happens every once in a while in where one bike will varie quite a bit differently in the States or the one in Cdn.

Example would be when the Suzy SV-650 came out on the market the Cdn Dist hauled in the SV-650S.

So go by the posts of others & not mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was pretty easy. Like was mentioned, real power doesn't hit until 10k. Its pretty easy to stay away from there.

I consider myself a well mannered person. I had taken the msf class to begin with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ZZR-600 really a ZX-6R

It WAS a good beginner bike last year, now I think that Kawasaki re-labelled the previous generation ZX-6R. It may be a little much for a beginner UNLESS you limit your speed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Still often I was scooting along on 100kph roads doing 140 to 180kph & even bends at 140 when suggested 40kph. True the suspension of said bikes is a bit to soft especially in the rear for I can feel the big difference when riding my Honda 929 or 954.
Jesus christ Smitty - is that possible? 80 something MPH for a 25 MPH turn? In the old beater Saab with wider sticky tires, I don't have a problem pushing mid 50s with a little noise but I had no idea a bike could do that ;) I always figured most cars were faster in tight turns like that.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
No sweat Kestrel. for I know my '97 Yamaha YZF600r well & with good rubber it does the same as my Honda 929 & 954 on the same roads & bends.

Once riding season is in I am riding basically 4 days a week. After all I am now retired & spent some mean years on road racing long with dirt comp.

I hang part of my butt out on the inside of the bends so there is no chance of anything stiff parts dragging & NO I do not drag my knees, but tuck them into the rairing.

Remember to that most of these hwy suggested speeds for the turns are also for 18 wheelers, RVs, 5th wheels, low-bed trailers hauling a massive track shovel or cat, logging rigs & such which is proof these bends are a piece of a cake for a decent m/c with a sensible rider.

I have often followed logging rigs with full loads going through the same bends at 35kph---20mph over the suggested speeds of said bends!!!!!! Mind you following such logging rigs & you are following the safest of the big rigs for they have pounded that very road(s) at least twice a day for several yrs & know it better then the palm of their hand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I say go for it. Funny thing is a lot of these guys suggest for new rider to get smaller bike or an older 600. Aren't these same guys forgeting that the ZZR 600 is a rebadged old school ninja. Just like the YZF600R used to be the R6, now with raised handle bars. The ZZR 600 isn't as agressive as these new race replicas but it ain't no slouch either. The point is, it'll keep up and you won't out grow it very fast.:thumb: :2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Juke'n round, you are a bit out of date on the Yamaha YZF600r for it is NOT as you say "--the YZF600R used to be the R6, now with raised handle bars.--". for in fact it was their top line bike in '97 & '98 till the R6 came out in '99. Basically the bike is still the same as in '97 bar possibly a better looking can.

They have been smart enough to realize this is a good step up towards the R6 for a season or two. I was sure the Kwacker ZZX-R600 was the same as their competitive bike around '95 though now I am questionable as the fairing seems to have been changed.

You might be mistaken by the Yamaha FZ6 being a skelton/naked bike with a pressed steel frame, fixed suspension, raised h/bars, slightely detuned engine, hair lower gearing & such to their earlier R6 but not as far back as the '99 for the FZ6 is with FI rather then original carbs.

Check the material of the YZF600r & the Kwacker & good change they are still using pressed steel frames & not alloy frames even if the Yamaha does say "Deltabox" as their original road racers used with the alloy frames. I recently sold an TZ-250 with a alloy "Deltabox" frame & not like my '97 600r with steel pressed frame marked "Deltabox" as well.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
DieSonne said:
i'm pretty sure motorcylces outhandle most any cars, save full function race cars
I also had that misinformation, but most sport/sport-compact cars with good suspension and some minor mods (no more than bikes) are able to go into turn with higher speed and brake later than most bikes, but bikes out-accelerate them every time. Cars like WRX Sti, Evo, Civic Type R, Porsche, M3, 350 Modena, just to name a few..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smith said:
That review even said it was good for newbies:confused:

I thought the fairings on the SV650s would be enough, but the Kawi ZZR600 is just to sexy:D

I think I will get this bike and just be careful. I'm not completely new to motorcycles so I think I can handle it if I be as mature as possible when riding.
Man, go buy the ZZR and ride it like a rented mule. It's great as a starter bike. I've heard all the BS about buying a junker or "small" bike to begin on and it's hype..........the blind leading the blind or should I say inexperience leading inexperience. I started out on a 1000 and never had any issues and have had 6 other bikes, all 1000cc or over in the last 5 years without a hitch. Get the ZZR, respect it, and learn how to handle what it will do. It's a great bike and if you buy what you really want upfront, there's no wishing later.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts