Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Small blerb on page 19 of the September 2001 issue of Motorcyclist on the VFR and the VTR possible changes.

Jim

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm pulling for a VTEC 1000cc V4. Add in a fully adjustable suspension and lower the weight about 30 lbs and I will own one before the end of the year... Or at least I'll own a pink slip until it comes in. :)

Come on Honda, you listening? :)

Ian

·
Registered
45 Posts
i want a liter....ohh well..looks like I'm going to continue riding my ex......

·
Registered
624 Posts
I thought I would I would be going to the new (hopefully) ST1100 for sure. But if these changes on the VFR are for real, oh boy! What a decision! :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Andy_7676 said:
i want a liter....ohh well..looks like I'm going to continue riding my ex......
Yawn... Me too

"10% more torque" woo hoo

·
Registered
455 Posts
Gfacter said:
Here is a link to Honda motor Europe

Has all the info on the VFR, and the Fireblade (CBR) and more.

The VFR looks a lot like the Futura, Interesting.

Only a whole lot uglier. Why is it that whenever the Japanese go for a high concept look it always ends up looking cartoonish.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Maybe it will take some getting used to, but at this point I dont care for it. I dont like all the sharp edges and the overstyling of it. I do like the dash though. Dont care for the exhaust pipes. It does kinda remind me of the Futura which I really dont like the looks of.

I Do like the new ST though! That would be a cool weekend 'get out of town' bike. That has been a long time coming and the bike deserves it for all its years of loyal service :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the new VFR!
The exhaust and gauge/pod are interesting.
Stock it has a nude view of the rear single-sided swingarm...FINALLY!
Big screen for big people to sit behind :)

I am thinking I can save up in time for March 2002 and good weather to ride in.
Weeeee!

Kable

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, now that I've had some time to digest the new Viffer (and see the actual U.S. version), I can post some comments:

1) Undertail exhaust is cool for 3 reasons. Don't hide the bitchin' SS swingarm. Easier access to rear wheel removal. Doesn't get in the way of optional hardbags. Cool. Hopefully the exhaust will sound decent stock. If not, I'm sure trick aftermarket versions are in the works.

2) No gear driven cams. With the problems my Busa had with the chain driven cams, I was looking forward to never having to worry about a friggin' CCT again. I wish they would have kept them. Then again, Honda probably wouldn't have replaced them if they thought they were less reliable than the gear driven version. We'll see.

3) Styling. I like it. I actually like the Futura, so this is even less radical...yet still unique. Love the quad headlight configuration. Thing must have awesome night cruising capabilities. Integrated signals look better than previous versions. The last model looked like the front signals came off a Mack truck and were just slapped on. :D

4) Engine. Whelp, was hoping for more cc's, but didn't happen. Close to 100 rwhp is still plenty for a sport-touring bike anyway. The misnamed V-TEC setup is kinda cool tho. Increased torque in the low end where it's actually needed on the street, while maintaining it on top too. I bet the torque curve on this bitch is as flat as a pancake. Gear ratio changes should help make if feel like it has more oomph too. Always have, and always will love the V4 engine. :D For its purpose, I think the engine is still just fine. If you what a warp speed bike or a race bike go buy one of those...my Busa may be for sale soon. ;)

5) Fuel injection. New fuel injection system decreases emissions, increases mileage...yet doesn't lose any hp. Yeah, I'd say well done Honda!! Increase in gas tank capacity is a plus too.

6) Instruments. Bells and whistles. I dig the layout. Would have preferred a white tach, but that's just for my old eyes. ;) Easier for me to see a black needle sweeping across a white face.

7) Color. Well, the U.S. is only getting the '02 in red. This REALLY pisses me off. To top it off the VFR and V4 V-TEC emblems have been stripped off. If I ultimately decide to get one, I may buy it in Canada...if they get silver. :D

8) Reliability. Based on my experience you can't beat Honda reliability. I question my Busa's reliability, and now I've discovered an oil leak which doesn't make me happy. I've owned 3 Honda's previously, never had ONE problem. The first Honda I owned was a V45 Sabre (V4) way back in the day. Put 35,000 miles on it and it never skipped a beat before I sold it.

9) No upside down front forks. Not really needed for the street anyway. A non-issue for me.

10) LBS. I can live with it. In fact for non-flatout street riding, it's probably an advantage, even for us non-newbies who get lazy and NEVER use their back brake at all (me).

As it stands right now, I can't make a decision until I see a U.S. version. If the Euro silver version was coming here, I'd be VERY interested. Instead, I'll just wait and see.

Damn, that was kinda long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The gear driven cams can't be a part of a VTEC system, or even this half assed version, so they neutered half the bikes soul for this BS VTEC... GRRRRRR...

Ian

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention something about the weight. Having the VFR lose lots of weight (as some people want) would not be a good thing. The VFR is built for spirited sport-touring. Losing massive amounts of weight would cause it to be (how do I put it)....unstable, jittery, etc...on the highway. Meaning you would spend a lot of energy overcoming bike movements from wind buffeting and such. Bikes with a little more mass are more stable and planted for prolonged sport-touring. Expecting a ST to weight 380 lbs is a joke!! ;) :D Europeans understand this...why can't us Americans. ;)

Again, if you want a track bike for the street, go buy something else. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts