Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear the rumor that Suzi is coming out in 2002 with a new TL1000S based bike that is supposed to compete with the FZ1 or the rumored Honda CB900? I saw a brief mention of it in a European mag. It's not the new 1400, 4 cylinder, that was in the latest US mags; it is supposed to be a design using a revised TL engine, as more of an all-around ride.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well...

....that seems to be the rumor. Supposedly, Suzuki is gonna do away with the TL series completely and take the TLS and revise it to become more like the FZ1 and ZRX. Really, the way I've heard it is that its just gonna be more like the Bandit series with a V-Twin motor. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, and if you're wondering why a Ducati guy is responding to a Suzuki question....I just sold a 98 TL1000R, which by the way is an excellent bike, so I keep up with most Twin bikes of all makes. I just love the sound and the torque :D

PEACE!

·
Registered
48 Posts
tls/sv

The last rumor I heard was they were going to do away with the TLS and make it a SV1000. Not sure what all the differences would be or why they would change the name. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've heard the same thing, only that the new bike will not be out until 2003. But it's supposed to be a big standard twin. Think nekkid SV650 but bigger!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've heard all of the above.

1) The TL might become an SV1000 due to the popularity of the SV and the waning popularity of the TL. (why didn't they just call the SV a TL650???)

2) The newest edition to the TL line might be a totally naked version, like the original SV released in the US three years ago: Straight handlebars, less aggressive foot pegs, no fairings or a little cafe fairing... Sounds interesting.

Why would they dumb down the TLs to compete with an FZ1 when it already IS a bike in the same class as the FZ1? Half naked, sport-cruiser, fun but not too aggressive?

*sigh*

Such are the things I wonder about...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
All of the above echoes what I have heard about the TL series....
It seems a shame that the TL1000r never made a serious charge at the Ducati/Aprillia dominance of the V-twin race bikes.:(

I would love to be able to have a TL100R in the red/blue/white scheme!!:)

JIM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fz1 and tls the same class????????your kidding right,i did a track day last week on my tls and there was a fz1 there.They have a serious ground clearance prob the guy riding it nearly wore a hole though the can while i was cruisin behind him on the tl ended up over takin him on the outside round a cnr at one stage and the next session down the straight.Talked to him during the day and he said he liked the fz1 but was not to flash for sport riding or the track:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maxis said:
Fz1 and tls the same class????????your kidding right,i did a track day last week on my tls and there was a fz1 there.They have a serious ground clearance prob the guy riding it nearly wore a hole though the can while i was cruisin behind him on the tl ended up over takin him on the outside round a cnr at one stage and the next session down the straight.Talked to him during the day and he said he liked the fz1 but was not to flash for sport riding or the track:rolleyes:
Okay,let me clarify MY thoughts on this. My main train of thought was it was a shame that the TL1000R,(note the "R"),was never fully developed to race in Superbike versus Ducati,Aprillia etc.(V-twins)
I can't speak for the others' statements here. And I sure was not refering to your little track days either. I could be telling you if I had a GSXR1000 I'd blow you off the track for making the FZ1 out to be a great race bike,which it was not designed to be. (Neither was the TL1000S!)
And the guy at the track,if he was serious about racing his TL1000S at the track,and his mufflers were dragging,could buy a different system that would improve his ground clearance.
To sum it up:
1. Too bad the TL1000R never made it as a full bore race bike.
2. We are mainly talking semi-naked "fun" bikes here like FZ1,ZRX,Honda Hawk996,etc.etc...and it will be interesting to see what Suzuki comes up as its replacement for the TL series.

Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok lets see,
Fz1 inline 4 detuned r1 motor with high bars steel frame with a rake of 26 deg and a trail of 104 mm.To top it of a dry weight of 208kg.Tls V-twin with fi and ram air(doesn`t sound very detuned to me)Low bars,full ally frame with a rake of 23 and a trail of 94.5 mm(funny very simalar to 916)with a weight of 191kg.Just how are these to bikes in the same class they have tires?Gold wing and r1 are in the same class to hey?both have full fairing.Was the fz1 with a clearance prob to, wasnt just the can either was pegs as well but there is always rear sets and a after market can.So how you plan on fixing the slow steering of the fz1 gas axe?As for the gsxr 1000 comment,id like to see that alot of ppl are having trouble with that much bike,amazing bike if your can handle it but with your comments i guess you have only been riding a short time:D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maxis said:
Ok lets see,
Fz1 inline 4 detuned r1 motor with high bars steel frame with a rake of 26 deg and a trail of 104 mm.To top it of a dry weight of 208kg.Tls V-twin with fi and ram air(doesn`t sound very detuned to me)Low bars,full ally frame with a rake of 23 and a trail of 94.5 mm(funny very simalar to 916)with a weight of 191kg.Just how are these to bikes in the same class they have tires?Gold wing and r1 are in the same class to hey?both have full fairing.Was the fz1 with a clearance prob to, wasnt just the can either was pegs as well but there is always rear sets and a after market can.So how you plan on fixing the slow steering of the fz1 gas axe?As for the gsxr 1000 comment,id like to see that alot of ppl are having trouble with that much bike,amazing bike if your can handle it but with your comments i guess you have only been riding a short time:D

You do know there IS a difference between a TLS and a TLR,right??? I was just commenting it's a shame the TLR never progressed to a top level competition bike.
As far as your sarcastic comments....I have been riding for thirty four years.....how about you??
A lot of how a bike performs is the rider's ability not necessarily just bike,keep that in mind too. And yes ground clearance,modifications,etc,etc,yada,yada......
The whole basis of the start of this forum posting WAS:what will Suzuki do to replace the TL series,not which is better than which! If you want to argue,fine,but that will have to come from someone other than me!!:)
We are talking about a "Style" of bike here,not comparing performance figures,ok?? You know full fairing, half fairing and naked,okay?? You know: will it be similar to the SV650s?? A style of bike like Strada said:"All around riding."
Relax....don't be so angry...sheesh!!:D:D

JIM

·
Registered
73 Posts
elodello said:
I've heard all of the above.

Why would they dumb down the TLs to compete with an FZ1 when it already IS a bike in the same class as the FZ1? Half naked, sport-cruiser, fun but not too aggressive?

*sigh*

Such are the things I wonder about...

This was the quote i was talking about which you replyed to me so i figured you must have agreed with it.Reading back though the posts and i agree with what you say.Yep i know there is a diff between tls and tlr.I test rode both didnt really like tlr.You do beat me in riding years to ive only been riding 25 years:D Just that sport cruiser makes me want to spew.Like saying a nsr500 is in the same class as a whiper snipper cause there both 2 stroke.Sorry im rambling again.
I heard the only thing there gunna change on the tls is the name cause of bad wraps from the bike mags about tank slapping.
So sorry kat600 i was picking on the wrong person,elodello your confused.
Cya

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maxis.....hey no problem,seems to have been a confusing thread from the start:D.
I was just eyeballing a new TLR a dealer had for $8599.00(US funds).(Insert big heavy sigh here....),oh well looking doesn't cost anything!
Since you are familiar with both how would you say the ergos are?? On a long trip would the TLs be a better choice?? From the stats I have seen it weighs a few lbs less that the TLr too.
In the end it won't matter because they are apparently doing away with the TLr if the rumours are true.....:(

JIM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dam you guys make me feel like crying when you talk price of new bikes.I paid $16,000 for my tls.Tls is lighter than tlr making power to weight the same.I do like the ergos of the tls(planning a 5000km trip on it),tlr seemed to wrist heavy for road riding and to bulky for the track.But im 6"3 and i have heard some ppl say they dont like the tls cause its uncomfortable.Only thing im not fussed on is the upper gears of the gearbox other than that i luv it.
Cya

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Maxis said:
elodello your confused.
No, I'm not. Neither the TLs nor the FZ1 were made to be track bikes the way the R1 and the TLr were. Insurance wise they are considered sport cruiser bikes. Therefore, the TLs and the FZ1 have the same target market: People who want fast bikes but don't want race replica bikes.

As to what they can and can't do on the track, that's a separate issue completely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I understand now, sport cruiser=fast non race rep like the blackbird,busa,harley(1200 some ppl think there fast),duc 748(sp is the track bike),duc 900 ss,laverda all,trx 850 yam,xr 650 just to name a few and there all in the same class.So why does a r1and fz come with treaded tires and rego if they are totally buit for the track.What you are saying is there is only 2 classes of fast bikes.Well im wrong again(dam)your not confused,your narrow minded.Insurance is done here in classes to but judged more by the amount ppl bin a bike tls is a class 3 tlr class 4 hey if ya sell more of on model chances more will be crashed.For what a bike does and doesnt do on a track is the same as what it does and doesn`t do on the road.All i can say is please dont help anyone pick there first bike.Well i better be off my panniers , ape hangers and running boards have turned up for the tl.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Maxis

Maxis said:
I understand now, sport cruiser=fast non race rep like the blackbird,busa,harley(1200 some ppl think there fast),duc 748(sp is the track bike),duc 900 ss,laverda all,trx 850 yam,xr 650 just to name a few and there all in the same class.So why does a r1and fz come with treaded tires and rego if they are totally buit for the track.What you are saying is there is only 2 classes of fast bikes.Well im wrong again(dam)your not confused,your narrow minded.Insurance is done here in classes to but judged more by the amount ppl bin a bike tls is a class 3 tlr class 4 hey if ya sell more of on model chances more will be crashed.For what a bike does and doesnt do on a track is the same as what it does and doesn`t do on the road.All i can say is please dont help anyone pick there first bike.Well i better be off my panniers , ape hangers and running boards have turned up for the tl.:D :D :D
What did I do to piss you off?:confused: You have no business calling me narrow minded when you take personal offense to my comments about motorcycle classes. Geez. A little less caffiene for you!:eek:

The TLs is not a sportbike like an R1. The FZ1 is not a sportbike like the R1. They have the same marketbase here in the US: People who want a fast bike but not necessarily an out-and-out sportbike. They have the same marketbase here in the US!

The TLs is a bike choice for people who like V-twins but don't want to pay the high prices Italian bikes are known for. (and maybe they want a bike that doens't require daily maintenance) Also, they aren't designed with "track first" in mind. The FZ1 is a bike choice for people who like literbikes but don't necessarily want to pay the high prices, or don't want as aggressive a bike.

Yes, they could be considered in the same class.

And again, what they do on the track is another argument completely.

Maybe this is a language issue. I can hardly understand your typeing. Shud i typ lik u so u cn ndrstnd me?:confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Maxis

elodello said:
Maybe this is a language issue. I can hardly understand your typeing. Shud i typ lik u so u cn ndrstnd me?:confused:
elo, LMFAO!!!

Sheesh Maxis, lighten up. By your replies, you'd swear she was insulting your manhood. And my apologies to you if she has reason. :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I did some research

From Yamaha's web site: http://www.yamahausa.com/products/products.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&rdir=1
"Everyday Comfort Coupled with Razor Sharp Handling and Open Class Power

Derived from the legendary R1, the FZ1 packs a huge amount of horsepower (140+) and torque into a chassis that handles like a superbike yet is comfortable enough to ride all day long.

For the rider who likes sportbike performance but prefers more comfortable ergonomics. The FZ1 offers a more traditional upright seating position, yet sacrifices nothing in terms of engine and handling performance..."

Suzuki (on their website http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/showroom_2001.htm) classifies the TLs as a "Sport Street" bike.

I take back what I said about the FZ1. While I still think that it is not a sportbike the way an R1 is, the manufacturer does. I guess I'll go along with what the mfg. says.

I stand by what I say about the TLs. It's not in the same class as an R1 or GSXR 1000. Suzuki does, however, classify the TLR with the GSXR 1000 and R1.

·
Registered
714 Posts
O.K. boys, now that you've blown off some steam I'll tell you what I have found out about the Suzuki TL series. As from June 2001, the TL's have been dropped from Suzuki's model range. Now, what Suzuki are developing is a big trailie using the engine from the TL. This is due for launch around Sept. to compete with the likes of the R1150GS BMW, Honda Varadero, Triumph Tiger etc. Suzuki's German importer has been the main reason behind this as this style of bikeis so popular in Europe. The details of the bike are vague at the moment but the frame is expected to be an alloy design like the new Aprilla CapoNord to keep weight down. It will appear at the Milan show inSept. and be on sale early in 2002. Hope this helps anyone interested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.