Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I already post that same question. No one knows so far. Not even the dealer dudes. If the R6 is FI. I am getting that instead of the F4i.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The R6 and R1 have carburators. (ms) These are devices that mix fuel and air by using a vacuum. There is a slide that can adjust the air flow and fuel mix based on the position of the throttle.
If you look at the fuel injector you will see a device that does the same thing, just goes about it another way. The fuel injector has a mechanized nozzle that will spray fuel into the collection chamber.

The real difference is that the FI systems are computer controlled and can adjust to the environment the vehicle is in. (to a limit) That is why they are considered better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If Yamaha stays with their current way of doing things we will see FI on the '02 R1, then it will probably appear on the R6 in '03.

They just overhauled the R6 this year, I doubt they will do it again next year. Not too mention the R6 is still the one to beat in the 600 category...

If they don't add it too either soon they will be left in the dust outside of the diehard Yami fans.

I'm pretty dam sick of carbs already. Yeah it's easier to tweak and get extra power but it's terrible to tune and looking for a lot of downtime to get it dyno tuned.

Ian

·
Registered
347 Posts
I read somewhere that the R1 will be somewhat redesigned and will receive FI and so will the R6. It was either motorcycledaily.com or motorcyclenews.com that said this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pete said:

Uh-huh, and *which* bike did *I* tell you to get instead of the R1?! :D :D :D JUST KIDDING!!! :D :D :D
Bite Me!!! :D :)

Actually I love the R1 but I've now decided to never stray from Honda unless something borderline super comes out because the dealers in my area suck so bad...

The only good one is a Honda dealer. They believe in customer service and getting your bike back to you in a timely manner, unlike the rest of them. That goes a long way in my book. I don't buy a bike to let it sit in a service department for weeks at a time.

My bike is in the shop now, we'll see how they do. Maybe I should hold my tongue until I get it back. :D

Ian

P

·
0 Posts
Ian said:
Actually I love the R1 ...
My bike is in the shop now...
Ian, I still think the R1 is the best looking of the big four's liter bikes (but I like the red better ;) ).

What's it in the shop for? Nothing major I hope.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I spoke to an individual tonight that says he has seen the proposed new R1 engine. It has FI and ram air. He is a pretty good source of information but did say that he will wait to see it actually in an R1 before he is completely certain. I guess it is possible that it will be for the '02 bike. :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
minfinger said:
Ok I got a question now. I know fuel injection is a great imporvement. But what do that bikes have now and what exactly are the improvements that FI gives a bike?
Minfinger,
Please tell me that you already knew that your bike had carburetors...:eek: :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts