Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had SBk 2001 for over a week now I bought it like the 8th of OCt. You guys should be able to find it. I got it at Babbages but I saw it at Best Buy Also. IT IS SWEET! They have seemed to fix alot of problems (i think) since i don't have SBK2K so not sure. But all the tracks and riders including 51 ..........bimota is still ther tho. Also who has setups???? I am still working on mine. Iplay with rider strength at real and I do all myself but I have rider assist b/c so hard to steer completly your self. Any how let me know and as soon as I get my cable modem I will play you guys online!

------------------
Keep the rubberside down and lean it like you mean it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good Deal!!

Ill have to go out and buy it, since i didnt even know it was out!!!.. i havent played sbk2k in quite sometime either.. hopefully they fixed the multiplayer bandwidth probs in 2K+1

:) :) :)

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a CH Flightstick Pro, which still is working good after 5 years of abuse.

I havnt got SBK2001 yet, but it works good on 2000, except the buttons sometimes stick, which is partly a bug in the game, and partly sticking buttons, physically, on the stick.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Got it...

bought SBK2k1 tonite at Best Buy.

Well they have definately souped up the graphics, but at a small price in refresh rate/game speed. Ive got a PIII/667mHz, with 256MB RAM and a 32meg Prophet3D card and it still bogs on video. I havent gone in a tweaked the video card yet though, so this may be something i can resolve.

But unfortunately there is still one bug left from 2000. On most tracks there is always one point on the track where the game just goes all out on CPU resources and the game will more or less chop up for about 1 to 2 seconds. (very bad in turns!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
SBK2001

Having owned all SBK series, this newest version is a big improvement over the last two. But it is still a $49.95 patch. Most people also feel the same way on the other forums. This version is the most fun tho. Once you have the bike setup correctly, you can pretty much run 1 second a lap faster that everyone on the field - which will fry your tires in just a few laps. The physics have been toned down but it makes it easier to go fast - not necessarily a bad thing. I have only tried about 6 tracks but they are a lot of fun. They got rid of the deadly wobble during hard braking which makes you crash, also gone is the shifting bug - which would not let you downshift no matter what revs you were in.

I absolutely hated this game after I first got it, but after forcing myself to just stick with it, its a great time with all aides turned off, especially the braking help, you have to be inch perfect almost all the time. Multiplayer just doesn't work. We tried every combination - fast computers on fast connection, the most we could manage has been 2 people, anymore and it was a slide-show. Too bad because the AI ain't that great, they either go too slow or too fast in corners. I saw it at Best Buy for $35, I think its worth it even if you have SBK2000. Just don't give up on it until you setup your bike properly.

·
Registered
873 Posts
More on sbk2001

Hey V.

I agree the games (both 2k and 2k1) are GREAT, absolutely a blast. I got pretty good on 2000 before losing interest, but honestly this new version blows on frame rate. It just isnt playable when the game chops up in tight spots with lots of other bikes!!!

I also agree this is more or less Superbike2000 v.2.0
The only thing i noticed was the addition of sparks when you crash. maybe the riders have 2 or 3 more limb articulations when flying through the air or tumbling.. nothing i am gonna care about.

Its cute, but at what price??

I dont like buying a game only to have to decrease the number other other bikes to a ridiculously low level, or to have to detune the graphics and turn off 50% or more of the details that make this game so great in the first place!

I bought it for all these reasons, and it just isnt playable with them "on".

Now, on the other hand, if they were to state on the Box that the recommended Hardware is a PIII/900 or greater with a 64meg AGPx4 Voodoo5 and 256meg SDRAM then thats one thing... i could accept that.. its honest... but what are the "Recomended" hardware requirements???: (and i quote):

300mHz or faster Pentium 2, 64MB RAM, 16Meg 3D Video Card, DX7...

HAHAHAHA!!!! LMFAO!!!!

I will tell you right now, if i ran that game on their recommended PC i would be forced into running it at 640x480 with no detail and no more than 5 or 6 other bikes.

Im running (again) a PIII/667mHz(EB) 133 bus, 256Meg PC133 RAM, Hercules 3D Prophet DDR Video Card w/ 32MB RAM (AGP) and I am NOT happy, im sick and tired of upgrading my computer for no other reason than to play these overly demanding games!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGG!!

But still, if i had a PIII 1gHz with Voodoo 5 this game would ROCK in everyway.

My advice, go by SBK2000, youll save ALOT of money and youll be getting 95% of what sbk2001 has in an entirely MORE PLAYABLE version.

Oh, and about the shifting "bug" in SBK2000? .. Yes it was a bug, but i never played with auto tranny, and managed just fine, winning almost all tracks on Pro level and no auto anything. You can adapt your technique.. a pain in the a$$, but not impossible!

:D

[Edited by GreenNinja on 10-23-2000 at 08:39 PM]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trick for good FPS

Get pole, and stay out front - that way you can play with all the eye-candy on and all riders on. The replays will be crap but I play at 1024X768 and 21 riders, and all eye-candy on with FSAA enabled on my PIII 560 and GeForce DDR. With just a couple of riders in front of you, the framerates aren't so bad. SBK is a resource hog.

About the shift bug in the last version - it WAS with manual trans, I never tried auto so I don't know how that was. The new version won't let you shift up when youre close to redline - I can't figure that one out, my street bike shifts fine at redline.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Did some more hardware tweaking...

Well, i spent a few hours tonite working on the video card tweaks. The GeForce DDR allows us to adjust alot of things. Overclocking the Video Card's internal bus and RAM clock speed, along with some hardware settings in the BIOS and upgrading to the latest (10-13-2000) software drivers from Guillemot (Hercules) and lo and behold SBK2001 is not doing to bad in the frame rate dept anymore. At least i can play it now.

It still requires that some detail be turned down, but now i can still keep most detail levels at a medium to high setting.

Here are a few things i have noticed that are definately new in 2001 vs 2000:

The rear wheel slides like its on butter. Its VERY easy to slide the tail through corners.

The brakes are more sensitive.

The shifting has been improved, although still could use some more improvement.

Steering sensitivity has been increased. (i liked it better before).

Sparks and better dust/smoke when you crash.

And, as i had previously said, the riders are much more articulated when they fly and flail and tumble through the air. (something i realy see no need for beyond a certain point. I think the resources set aside for this detail could have been used in much more important areas)

As far as the CPU rider AI (artificial intelligence), they are still blithering idiots. fast, but stupid. They still run into you, and will "push" you down the track forever if you are on foot and they run into you. There really needs to some "evasion" programmed into them. Id rather see smarter riders and less crash articulation.

All in all im not sure if SBK2001 is really worth teh purchase though. It alot of fun, but if you already own SBK2000, i cannot say you are missing much, let alone missing enough to fork out $40.00 for this "update"

Bottom line, its not as bad as i had thought at first, just better make sure your computer/video card are tuned to absolute perfection, otherwise itll sit on your HardDrive, unplayed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts