Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the 2001 RC-51's? firstly, IS there going to be one?
secondly, if so, then by when would they roll in? and any changes expected on the bike?

some dealers are taking deposits on the bike and have indicated November for delivery. while there is another dealer that strongly believe's that they will dicontinue the RC!! :eek:

i was just curious to see if anyone had any relevant info......

thanks! :)

------------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
arif,

the word i hear is y2k+1 51 is a go. but i've been told by a few people the 929 is more fun to ride. i haven't rode either, so can't say.

sorry about the 4 dude, it was nice.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
My dealer says that it is highly unlikely that Honda would only produce the RC for one year. They speculate that the price will go up $100-$200 and there would be minor refinements. I kind of agree with their thinking. They have no idea or predictions on the numbers being imported.

As for the 929 being more fun, I believe that would have to be personal preference. I was unsure if I would like the torquey V-twin grunt more that the high RPM rush of the inline 4s. It only took one blast of the RCs fuel injection and I made up my mind. :)

The RC only gives up a couple of rear wheel HP on the 929 and the RC has much more torque. If it were only as light as the 929. I'll take the twin please. ;)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Arif, I really think you should ride around for awhile on a twin before deciding. I dont think you will be happy with a twin. Just My Opinion though........

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
This may belong more in "race chat" but on the topic of the RC51, is it necessary for a manufacturer to provide X-number of bikes for public consumption EACH year for homologation (sp?) or is it a one-time deal as long as the bike is basically the same? Buehler? Class? Anyone? :D

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kyle, tony, john:

thanks for the heads-up about the RC51/ twins. i will hopefully get to ride a '51 this weekend, and that should give me a better understanding of the RC.

kyle, read my Decide on a Bike thread in the How to Forum. i got a closer look at the 929 and it is looking attractive. my choices at this point are the 929, RC51, and R6. :D really wide open, huh? might even toss in the gsxr 750 and then we have an even greater mind-boggling situation!

damn the guy who stole my bike!!! :D

----------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)

[This message has been edited by arif CBRF4 (edited July 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Kyle you better keep that opinion to yourself. :D :D :D

Seriously, Kyle is right about riding a twin first if you can.

Arif I can't remember how long you've been riding or what all you have ridden. I will say that I love the twin but if i had ridden nothing but high reving inline 4s all my life then I probably would not have adjusted well to the RC 51. It is very different than the inline 4s. Not as different from the V-4 which I did own(except for more HP). ;)

Don't rush into anything. Since you are asking, I would say that you are thinking it over carefully. That's good IMO. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Lol John, Nothing at all against twins, but as you say, they are very different than inlines.

Oh Poor Arif ~I wish I had the 'problem' of deciding between a handfull of supreme bikes! ;) :rolleyes:

------------------
Kyle J.-

·
Registered
275 Posts
Word on the street is that the race kit will no longer be offered. So if you bought a RC51 and will be using it on the street, Sorry! It really is kicking ass on the track though. Just doesn't have what it takes in every day life. I know some will not agree. I do admit is a very nice machine but it just doesn't live up to the Honda Hype. Hey the R7 ain't a street machine either difference is the RC51 is working out better right off the bat than the R7. But ole Hagasan seems to disagree with me, thank God for that!

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

·
Registered
275 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tigerblade:
is it necessary for a manufacturer to provide X-number of bikes for public consumption EACH year for homologation
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if I am not mistaken that requirement has only to be met for the year of production ie; 2000 year models. And that requirement has been met for the RC51.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RLJ3RD:
Actually if I am not mistaken that requirement has only to be met for the year of production ie; 2000 year models. And that requirement has been met for the RC51.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are very correct, that's why the rc51 had to come out in 2000, wsk rules have a time-limit on their homoligation (sp?) period. 1999, i believe, was an extension year for the '45. ama doesn't have this time-limit rule.

as for the gsxr750, it's a fun bike, but it doesn't have 929/51 torque that's fun for street duty. i really love my gsxr, but it's really high strung.

one thing about bikes like the 929 and the r1 is they 'feel' fast. my gsxr doesn't really feel fast until it's going way fast. it doesn't make big power until 9000 rpm. i think 2wf.com said the speedo is at 84 in 1st at 10k. it's hauling ass when it 'feels' like it's hauling ass. i hear the 51 is like that. but until one of those nice people on a honda says, 'wanna ride my rc51,' i won't be able to say for sure.

anyway, my friend's r1 (which is the closest thing i've been on to a 929) 'feels' fast at 25mph. mainly because the tire is one twist of the wrist from losing touch with the ground.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Once a bike meets homologation for AMA then it basically meets it from then on. The RC 45 is still legal. As stated the World Superbikes have a time limit and I think the 996's extentions are up after this year. Maybe the Italians could attempt a change in design of the bodywork. They may be to scared. ;)

Strangely, for AMA the bike has to be sold somewhere in the world. Poland being the country of choice for Harley. Did they design it too. :rolleyes:

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:

Strangely, for AMA the bike has to be sold somewhere in the world. Poland being the country of choice for Harley. Did they design it too. :rolleyes:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the Poles could have won a race by now. :D

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
Once a bike meets homologation for AMA then it basically meets it from then on. The RC 45 is still legal. As stated the World Superbikes have a time limit and I think the 996's extentions are up after this year. Maybe the Italians could attempt a change in design of the bodywork. They may be to scared. ;)(snip)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

john,

i thought as long as they continue to make it they're okay in world superbike. i thought they claim the 996 world superbike is built off the 996 sps. btw, lots more good grigg coverage last night. nice dice with the busa. i feel bad for him, it looked like some slick conditions at the end.

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tony,

I'm not real sure how the World Supebike rules work. The RC 45 is not legal in World Superbike competition anymore. The RC 45 was running on extensions for the last couple of years and the 996 is currently on an extension(I think). I believe that a new version of the 996 has to be produced for next year. I'm not sure how different it has to be. It may just be that they can resubmit the current design.

That would of course stick them with the current slow-ass design that only the sattelite team and Ben B. can make competitive. :rolleyes: :p :D

I guess we need some of our European members to help clear this up. Oh! the Europeans may not talk to me now after that Ben Bostrom and slow Ducati comment. ;) I was just kidding. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
That would of course stick them with the current slow-ass design that only the sattelite team and Ben B. can make competitive. :rolleyes: :p :D

I guess we need some of our European members to help clear this up. Oh! the Europeans may not talk to me now after that Ben Bostrom and slow Ducati comment. ;) I was just kidding. :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of the big-wigs for ncr basically said that their bike isn't fast. i believe he said 'we know what our bike is'.

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys,

well i finally got the chance this weekend to ride an RC51!! great bike overall. my biggest questions before riding the bike were:
a/ the feel for a V-twin engine.. would i like it or not?
b/ the weight factor. 480-490lbs does not make it the lightest bike to flick around.
c/ comfort factor.
d/ and finally is it worth the $$$ and does it really live upto its hype?

this was the first twin that i have ridden and overall i was impressed with the bike. having just ridden inlines, i had been told by several people that once i ride a twin i will be hooked. the RC51 has a very smooth power curve and defninitely more torquey than an inline.

being so heavy i did not expect the bike to handle so well, but i was surprised with the ease with which i was able to throw it around.

comfort-wise i was pleasantly surprised as well. i have heard that the RC is great if you are 5'10 and under and less than 150 lbs. and that is exacltly how i found it. remarkably comfortable for commuting if needed. apparently, larger riders dont fare that well. :)

and finally the big question? did it convince me enough to buy one. i DONT think so!! :( dont get me wrong. the bike is great overall. i love the looks and its a HONDA :D but i dont think that it is worth the $12,000-$14,000 price tag that some people are asking these days. if honda brings it back (and i am sure they will) next year at the same tag of $9,999, i MAY get one. hell, i have my name down for a 2001 model at one of the local dealers for now so lets see.

i guess you were right, kyle in saying that a V-twin would not suit my needs. i dont think that there is anything wrong with a twin, but nothing extraordinary jumped out at me to swing me its way.

keep in mind that all the above observations are my own and that others will have differing opinions. i hope that i have not started any flames here. it is not my intention. just wanted to let you all know how i felt about the RC. if twins are your fancy then i would highly recommend it. its not for me... well just yet.. but who knows, right? :D :D :D

the RC goes out of the shopping list for now and enter the R1!!! i guess it is going to be a tough decision deciding b/w the 929 and the R1 but surely a fun one :D

-----------
arif

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh! i forgot to mention that the RC had the reverse shift pattern. (GP style.) pretty interesting and fun and i was able to adapt right away. also had more cornering clearance with this shift pattern?
curious though as to how many people run this pattern on street bikes? makes sense for the track.
later :)

-------------
arif

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Very cool that you got to ride the RC Arif, you lucky dog! :) So whatcha gonna get?

------------------
Kyle J.-

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

1 - 20 of 35 Posts