Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought this bike and am still breaking it in. Who has a 2000-2001 model? What can you tell me about it? Any problems? How much power can I expect past break-in?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
a lot of guys complain about the cam chain tensioner, no problem for me. the tranny thing should be fixed for 01.

the good stuff. the bike is so COMFY. no torture rack gsxr ergos anymore.

it's got a lot of power, but no r1-gsxr1k mid-range.

i don't really know what else i can say about it. it handles like it's on rails if you ride it right.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The tranny was seen as suspect to racers as they were banging through the gears. I have the 00 model and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. As far as the power goes, it's no R1/GSXR1000, but I think that's half the fun. Once it sweeps from mid range into powerband, the R1 is behind you and the GSXR1000 is right in front of you.

It's a bigger smile when your front end is on the ground when you get in the gas.....especially in a corner!!

Mine put out 119 when first dyno'd, who knows now, after many mods.

P

·
Squid
813 Posts
What pipes are you guys useing for the y2k 750? I'm getting rid of the ol R1 I'm getting a 750 and I'm want to get the pipe that gives the most power. Looks and sound aren't as important to me as performance. I'm thinking the Yoshi or Akra might be the biggest gains but I'm not sure with a gixxer. I always thought Suzuki and Yosh went hand in hand.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well opinions are like.... I chose the M4 full system and have been extremely happy with it. If the EMGO Suzuki team runs it, why not. I shied away from Yosh because I've heard that the stuff they sell to the public isn't the same stuff that they race. Furthermore, I prefer to run something different than the mainstream. Akra is good stuff, but have you looked at the price recently? I was talking to a racer locally and he said the Yosh is great, the M4 is great the Akra is equal in performance, but the finish is much much better. So let your wallet decide.

I chose the M4, crashed on it and am glad I chose that over the Akra. $300 and I'm back on the road, good as new. How about you "Akra" owner? Probably still crying... As I said, opinions are like... ;)

P

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey paul 750

how much power is she running now? i am thinking about the price also but really just want the best bang per buck. How much was your m4 system. I dont care about if its louder or quieter. Just as long as it works good.
Thanks
kpurskin
(keep your skin, use dead cows)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I didn't mean that Akrapovic owners were crying, I'm just saying that I would be in tears (more than I was) if I crashed on a eight hundred dollar pipe.....

I paid a little under five for the M4 full race system.....so after I got over the loss, I wasn't shelling out a load of cash to put everything back to new.

I haven't dynoed it, but it ran right next to an Akra equipped gsxr (yell/blk 2000)

P

·
Squid
813 Posts
I know, I was just joking. Do you hang at Mill? I was there last weekend and my bearings went out, which sucked cause I just got to watch everyone on briggs road instead of have a little fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh darnit forgot to ask if your were running one of those computer deals pwr commanders?
a local dyno where i live said that he dynoed same bike which was a 2000 gsxr 750(wht/bl) with both pipes the yosh and the akra and got the same results. around 132hp. in other words not much difference between pipes. i think he tried to remap comp for each pipe also.

kpurskin
(keep your skin, use a dead cow)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the PCII on it, it makes a big difference especially once you have it custom mapped. The maps that Dynojet give don't cure the abrubt off idle response with an aftermarket pipe(akra or M4). Once installed, the custom map smooths out the curve and gives a definite mid and top end boost.

P

·
Squid
813 Posts
Paul 750,

How exactly does that work? Do you set it to the specs and go from there? I've only seen pictures of the PCII and it looks like it tells you if the bike is running rich or lean. I guess it's the same as jetting, you have to pay someone to adjust it on the dyno.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The PCII is adjustable two ways. 1) there are the low mid and high range buttons on the face that allow the user to adjust iungs on the road for any of the three areas. Rather rudimentary, but it's a choice. 2) There are downloadable maps via computer, best choice with or without a dyno. Of course if you have a dyno you can customize the map to give you optimal performance across the powerband.

Definitely worth the cash if you're going to buy a full system.

P.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I know I have an RC-51 but I do have the PC II. It is well worth the money. All of the GSXR guys I've talked to that have them say the same thing. :cool:

If you have the PC II connected to a computer you can develop the maps yourself and try different things. I am still learning. It is an easy process but I don't have all of the performance knowledge yet. Meaning, what will have what effect and where.

You can change the ignition advance in either direction a given amount and do this throughout the rev range. It is done by changing numbers(ie, +2 or -2, +1 or -1) on a graph. It is like a spreadsheet that represents your bikes timing. You basically can adjust the amount of fuel delivered at different rpm ranges.

If your bike is on a dyno then the fuel enrichment can be adjusted by having a laptop computer plugged into the PC II. You only need access to the chip. Therefore no removing bodywork and carbs. You could do a dyno run then reprogram and do another run in about five minutes. :cool:

·
Squid
813 Posts
Man, did you ever think the day would come that we'd be able to perform such things on our bikes?
Can you save different setings on it? i.e. tuned for sea level and then a setting you can just switch over to a certain elevation for the mountains.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
jk6672 said:
Man, did you ever think the day would come that we'd be able to perform such things on our bikes?
Can you save different setings on it? i.e. tuned for sea level and then a setting you can just switch over to a certain elevation for the mountains.
Yes, if you have access to a computer. It can also be done on the PC II itself but it would be a pain. You would have to punch the button a bunch. :D

I read that someone(probably Dynojet) was working on software that would allow you to store a couple of maps in a Palm Pilot personal assistant and then connect it to the PC II out on the road and reload a new mad. That sounds like the perfect deal for those that ride with significant differences in elevation. The FI will compensate somewhat for differences in elevation but it would be nice if the FI was reprogrammed. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts