Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering picking up a 2001 996 Biposto. This would be my first foray into the world of Ducati. :D

In looking at the differences between the 996 and 996s the major diffferences I noticed were in the horsepower and torque figures which result in the significantly different power curves.

Is this due strictly to the different compression ratios in the engine? 9.2:1 vs 11.5:1?

Is there anything else significantly better about the S model?

·
Registered
22 Posts
996 or 996S

There are no HP differences in the US spec bikes. The only difference is weight (not much) , asthetics (carbon fiber and paint) and exhaust, and maybe forks...I think the S has Ohlins.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mmmm...

Was under the impression that the 996s had basically the same engine set up as the SPS, but in a slightly less sporty option. I may be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: Mmmm...

Chumley said:
Was under the impression that the 996s had basically the same engine set up as the SPS, but in a slightly less sporty option. I may be wrong though...
You 'probably' are ..... you usually are so why probably this time .... ya coooooont :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
OI

Ledge - Unless you have actually bought a Ducati - piss off out of this forum - Ya Cahhhhnt!!!!

Either that or come and buy mine. Then we'll allow you back in

(Or is there a 999 on it's way to you now?:twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bob,

Does that mean the falco's on it's way out or are you building the fleet? I picked up a 916 because my Hayabusa is too big for the track and Derrick picked up a 996. VIR on MARCH 14th!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
elcidbob said:
I am considering picking up a 2001 996 Biposto. This would be my first foray into the world of Ducati. :D

In looking at the differences between the 996 and 996s the major diffferences I noticed were in the horsepower and torque figures which result in the significantly different power curves.

Is this due strictly to the different compression ratios in the engine? 9.2:1 vs 11.5:1?

Is there anything else significantly better about the S model?
I just got a 996s and I love it. Hope you got yours! Here's some of the things I've Learned about some of the differances:

The 996s is basically a street legal SPS. The S weighs about 35 LBS. less than the 996. (Mostly from the wheels and thinner tubing used in the frame.) The compression ratio is 11.5:1. it Has a Olins steering damper vs. ??????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts