Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding today at the Gap (Deals Gap, NC for those who don't know), and was on the return route at about the 4-5 mile mark and came around a blind curve and aparantly some truck had dumped about 50+gallons of Hydraulic fluid, oil, anti-freeze, or something in the middle of the road. Well I didn't see it until I was on top of it, and lowsided my brand new CBR600f4 off the side of the road. It low-sided thru the sticky stuff, then once off the road flipped several times, and landed on the handlebars. I was wearing Teknic leathers, with Teknic Kevlar metal studded gloves, with an HJC helmet, so I don't have a scratch on me. But as for the CBR (which dumb me only has liability insurance), is dead and will not start. I did take some pics of it, and I will probably post them in the next couple of days. Does anyone know of any good paint/repair shops in the East Tennesee area that might give me a good deal on repairing my fairing? There is no where on the bike that is not scratched, but luckily the frame did not get bent, nor did the handle bars get bent, mostly cosmetic damage. The exhaust is bad off, with the ignition cover, I guess, on the left side of the bike, all scratched to heck and back. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I go from here? Any body with similar experience please chime in as I'm at a loss for what I should do, or what my options are. Thanks.

(dead)CBRbUrR

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/meanmachines
Quit typing and go ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Good thing is that you are all right. There has been a lot of press in the British magazines about diesel/gasoline spills on the roads causing many motorcycle accidents. Haven't heard much about it here in the US. Guess we just don't rate... :(

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
137 Posts
That sucks mate. :(

Good to see you had all your gear on. :)

Good luck with the repairs.

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hey John, where do you get all your bodywork done?
Motorcycle bodywork that is, I known the clinic in Nashville is where you had the "other" bodywork done. Looks good by the way!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funksouljon:
Hey John, where do you get all your bodywork done?
Motorcycle bodywork that is, I known the clinic in Nashville is where you had the "other" bodywork done. Looks good by the way!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch it funkstillinthejon. :D :p

I actually have always replaced the bodywork myself on my bikes(except for a VFR incident).

I know of a guy that does the stuff on the side and I will see if I can find his card. I know he paints and repairs racing stuff. He races some too. I have seen his bike up close and he did a really nice job on it. CBR I will try to find the number and get back to you. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I do fairing repair and painting but I don't
have time right now to take on any outside
jobs - however - If you get the urge to do
it yourself I can help you through the
process of repair. It's easy once you know
what you are doing.

Let me know,
Chris

P.S. Glad you're OK!!

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
CBR I will try to find the number and get back to you. :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RCJohn, That sounds good. I took my bike by my local motorcycle shop and the guy got my bike running. It cranked up and poured out white smoke for about 10 minutes! Aparently oil had leaked down even into the exhaust! But keep me informed on if you can find that number, I appreciate it!!!!!!

CBRbUrR

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/meanmachines
Quit typing and go ride.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
CBR, I have apparently lost the guy's card. Sorry. :( I see him occasionally at the gym so I might still be able to help you. I will let you know. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
at the gym <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:confused: :D

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
468 Posts
If I were you , I would look into aftermarket racing plastics for your bike, and then put a nice custom paint job on it. It is way too expensive to replace your plastic with stock bodywork, with no insurance settlement coming.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, just glad to hear that you are okay, as far as fixin' or havin' anything painted, I know nothing about it, sorry bro!

------------------

G

·
Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and some other motorcycle warehouses sell original Factory plastic at good prices.Just check the back pages of any cycle magazine and check around for the best prices.You can replace the parts yourself and save even more.If the bike tumbled you might have other bent pieces....wheels,forks....etc.Better have it checked by a pro.Make sure you tell them it's not covered by insurance.

------------------
xxman

·
Registered
331 Posts
Stock red/black F4 plastics for sale. One tiny crack in the upper under the turn signal(you can't even see it). $1000 - $1400 includes perfect tank.
[email protected]

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dude, glad you're still with us and OK. Sorry to hear about the bike. I know the feeling though. Wrecked my '00 F4 this past July. Anyway, can't help ya' with the bodywork, but I do have the stock windshield and exhaust can in perfect condition if you are interested. Lemme know if you have an ?'s or anything. E-mail me - my address is under "e-mail" above this post.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cbr600f4gd- sounds like a good deal, but I have the Orange/Black scheme. Nothing against the red/blk scheme, but I'm kinda partial to the "Big Orange" anyway, even though they suck this year. But thanks for the offer!

wtempleton- I trailered the bike to my guy that I get to order all my stuff for me, and he thouroughly inspected it and gave it a clean bill of health, besides all the nice scratcheees I put on 'er! ;)

CBR Brutha- Yeah, I'm glad I'm still here too. There's obviously Someone up there who's got different plans for me! But this whole thing has got me motivated in getting the parts I originally wanted to replace (i.e. flush-mount signals, re-wiring backs into the brake lights, and the "double-bubble" smoke windshied). Those parts are rather inexpensive to replace, just the plastic that's gonna take some time.

I should have the pics of the damage up by the end of next week. On second look, the damage isn't as bad as I thought, but it's BAD ENOUGH!! :( Anyway, thanks to everyone for their concern; I really do appreciate you guys. I never really knew what kind of REAL brotherhood there is between bikers, until this wreck. There just happen to be 3 guys who were 2 minutes behind me on that road (when there was maybe 5 people on the mountain that day-including us) when I wrecked, immediately pulled over, helped me get my bike up and off the road, and then offered to go back to the Motorcycle Resort and bring back their pickup and take me back into Knoxville, which was around 55 miles from where they were! I would've payed well into the $hundred's if I had to call a wrecker that could safely haul my bike. All it cost me was gas money. you can't be that!
If you guys read this, who helped me out, you never know how thankful I am! All I can say is thanks for being there. I hope everyone has a great weekend of riding, and please, please if you're gonna be riding in the extreme, HAVE THE PROPER GEAR!!!! I've been in a wreck without it, and with it. Believe me, you don't wanna be in one without em! I have the 3"x3" scars to prove it! Ok, I'm off my soapbox.....

------------------
CBRbUrR
-------------------------
2000 CBR600 F4 (wrecked) williamdhughes.com
Quit typing and go ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You said you were on the return trip? Does that mean you had been by the spot before and it wasn't there? I would check with the locals, and or the cops and see if the spill was the result of a wreck. If it was I would go after the people responsible for the wreck, and the people who didn't clean up after it. They should know this is a huge spot for motorcycles and that it would be dangerous for that kind of spill.

On the ohter hand, do you think someone poured out the stuff on purpose to create a hazard? Hmmmm.

Just a couple thoughts.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm starting to believe that your second idea is more correct. The way that it was spilled, it was almost like someone in the back of a pickup truck just dumped a huge barrel of something while they were moving. If that is the case, then there's no way I could figure out who done it. > :( I just hope that someone got it up (It was reported with the motorcycle hotel guys) before another wreck, possibly even worse than mine occurred.

------------------
CBRbUrR
-------------------------
2000 CBR600 F4 (wrecked) williamdhughes.com
Quit typing and go ride.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I must say, that was really cool of them to stop and help you out. No such love between cagers.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts