Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for my first ride and after I get a little more confident I plan on riding 2-up with my wife. I was wondering if there were some suggestions on which bikes to be looking at. As a guide line the least sporty I would consider (as far as looks go) would be a GS 500 Suzuki. I am 6'-4" 200 lbs. 26 years old.
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I suggest a VFR 800. Plenty of power for some 2-up riding but still easy enough to learn on. Has about the same power as the 600s but is probably the best all-around sportbike ever built. :) A '96 VFR750 is what I learned on(not counting the QA50 I had at age 7 ;)). :cool:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good call on the VFR John. But since you already have Kawi in your name, how about a ZR-7...very sweet IMO and probably great 2-up as well. Here's a link to a review on it.

http://www.activebike.com/index/features/zr7/zr7.htm

I just had a quick glance over the article again and they had this to say comparing the ZR-7 to a VFR.

"On the street, though, the Kawasaki ZR-7 matches the VFR turn for turn, mile after mile—for half the price and with greater comfort."

·
Registered
468 Posts
Buy two bikes. One for you, and one for your wife. Riding with a pillion just plain sucks, and you have a lot more fun when you are riding your own bikes. My girlfriend has a CBR600f3 (Smoking Joe) and we have an absolute blast together. Talk about spending quality time!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Have you considered "his and hers"? If she is interested in bikes, why not ride her own? Although some are way better than others, I am not sure of any sportbike thats "good" for a passenger. I suspect that at 6'-4" you might get a little crowded on most of them except maybe the Honda XX or Hayabusa, neither of which is a beginner bike and leaves the passenger with their legs up somewhere near their ears. Bikes for passengers are kinda' the realm of the Gold Wing or maybe the ST-1100 or Concourse if you have any hopes of real comfort for rider and passenger. Why not sign up both of you for the MSF course and see how it goes from there? They furnish the bikes, too. Minimal cost to feel it out. Just another way to look at it, maybe.

Edit: I see Rossco 929 was posting the same thought. Sorry for the duplication.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep, as Rossco929 said, riding a sportbike with a passenger just plain sucks! I agree with both Rossco and Dad, she needs her own ride.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I guess I should chime back in here. His and Hers is the funnest way to go. My wife says she don't know how she ever rode on the back of my VFR. She loves her SV650 Suzuki. :cool:

Let's face it with the comparo between the ZR-7 and the VFR. There is no comparison... the VFR is beautiful and the ZR-7 is not. ;)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Options,options.....

A couple others to consider.......
Katana750,Bandit600,Katana600.

The VFR800 is probably the King of this class tho'.

Jim

P.S. I hate having a passenger too.Takes a lot of the fun out of the ride!!:(

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have to disagree, all these squids are...just that, squids! heh. Riding with a passenger on a sportbike is fun for me. I am willing to bet that a lot of these guys don't like it because they are afraid of it, and they've done it like once or twice ;) That or they've done it a bit, and never gotten used to it. I could maneuver with a passenger real well, and it's always a blast to show a girl a fun time on the back of a bike. Riding theirselves is not for everyone, male or female, so this gives them the chance to experience it and have fun.

Anyhow, I think the VFR800 would also be great, what's a Kawasaki? Oh, those weird colored things that people buy if the shops out of Buells? oh he he he he, couldn't resist! *high fives RCJohn*

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ouch!! It appears that my choice of bikes is not a popular one. Robert, HELP!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Kawboy said:
Ouch!! It appears that my choice of bikes is not a popular one. Robert, HELP!!

Oh, Kawboy, I was not laughing at you. I was laughing at Rob's bit about us squids taking pillions. It is kind of suspicious that all the bikes you mentioned (except the VFR) were Suzukis, though. ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know brother, it's all in good fun. Did I mention any Suzukis? BTW are you still planning on going to the Honda Hoot in June? I just registered. Hope to see ya there.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I agree with the VFR. But I disagree about the pillion rider. Sometimes I like to wick it up a little and a passanger can be a hinderance. But overall it is nice to have a lady hugging on ya while you ride. At the same time, I did enjoy watching my girlfriend (ex) ride around on my bike, but I got really nervous. Don't know how long I could watch that before I formed an ulcer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
funksouljon said:
I But overall it is nice to have a lady hugging on ya while you ride.
Ewwwwww, I don't want any ladies hugging on me while I ride! LOL :D

And if she is interested at all, her own bike would be a good thing. I wonder how the heck I rode around on the back of TJ's SuperHawk for so long. It did give me good flexibility in my hips and flattened my butt! But no sportbike I've ever been on is comfy for the passenger at all. Yuck.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rob Nance said:
I have to disagree, all these squids are...just that, squids! heh. Riding with a passenger on a sportbike is fun for me. I am willing to bet that a lot of these guys don't like it because they are afraid of it, and they've done it like once or twice ;) That or they've done it a bit, and never gotten used to it. I could maneuver with a passenger real well, and it's always a blast to show a girl a fun time on the back of a bike. Riding theirselves is not for everyone, male or female, so this gives them the chance to experience it and have fun.
I agree with you Rob. My fiance has no desire to ride her own bike, but she loves to ride. We've put countless miles together on a 88 GSXR750, 86 Ninja 600 and now the RR. While none of these bikes are even close to the ultimate 2-up ride, we always managed to have an awesome time.

Eventually, we will have a second bike....cough....new wing....cough, but until then we will continue to have a blast on the RR. :D

I guess what I'm trying to add is that you should get the bike you are most comfortable with. You will be spending the most time on it. Plus, the more comfortable you are, the better you will be able to handle the changes brought on by carrying a passenger.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't take me seriously Kawboy, it was just to good of a joke to pass up :) I like Kawasaki's in general, not crazy about most of their color schemes though. If they broadened their color schemes so would their market. The Blue ZX9r offered a few years back is a bike that everyone loves that sees my friend Jeff's, but it is just so rare.

One thing to add to RRDon's comments about comfort. Make sure the seat is comfortable for your wife also. Wider is of course better, because it means more surface area, which means the weight is spread out better, which means more comfortable on long rides.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another Bike

I don't know if anyone has been on a Suzuki Bandit, but it's the most comfortable bike I have ever seen for a passenger for that type of bike. It's not quite a rocket but it's far from a hog. I had a friend who owned one, I had to ride on the back once for a 3 hour ride and was very impressed, hey and on top of that they are cheap I think out of the box their around 6,000.

I love to ride double with my GF, this summer she wants to learn how to ride, but I enjoy the company. No you can't take the same corners at a buck 10 but so what. I know my CBR 600 is actualy pretty comfortable for her. And when I was in France beginning of the year I picked up the passenger bar that only comes on the Euro versions.

Just my 1.5 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts