Sportbike World banner

1st trackday?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lateapex 
#1 ·
I am getting ready for my first trackday and was wondering on how a typical day goes, i have heard that there are several different groups and that i should ride in the novice and move up when i feel comfortable. Is it pretty much like follow the leader? Do most people view as a race? what should i expect? Any comments on Supercorsas(which compound) or H2s?

#2 · (Edited)
Nickelii said:
I am getting ready for my first trackday and was wondering on how a typical day goes, i have heard that there are several different groups and that i should ride in the novice and move up when i feel comfortable. Is it pretty much like follow the leader? Do most people view as a race? what should i expect? Any comments on Supercorsas(which compound) or H2s?
it depends on the organization you do track days with.

team promotion did like this:

tech your bike (you have a ducati, tires are cheap, please mount fairly new ones, take off's aren't the best idea first time out)

rider's meeting. everyone stands around and they talk about track conditions that may be of concern. it helps to have a track map with you.

hopefully, as a newbie, you'll have classroom time. they'll talk about do's and don't's.

this will also give you an opportunity to ask questions. most people act tough here, like they're ready to win a superbike championship. don't have a crappy attitude, it's a great chance to pick up something basic, that 3 years from now you will forgot, but may become the thing that's holding you back. if it's quiet, ask the question about trail brake or late braking, the answer will be an eye-opener.

first session will be stupid slow (hopefully). the reason why it's slow is you're supposed to be learning the track. looking for braking markers on the ground (they'll be blown away by the end of the day, but useful in the morning).

second time around, will likely be more follow the leader.

track days never run on time because the riders don't seem to interested in getting on the track, so you'll probably be breaking for lunch. sorry, pet pieve, get your bike to tech and let's go. i always get my bike to tech first. if it fails, you have time to fix. if it doesn't the tech guy is usually bored for quite sometime and is usually a pretty smart guy and will have advice for ya.

they usually open things up more.

remember, it's okay to be slow and/or nervous.

it's not okay to forget helmet, boots, leathers, gloves, back protector (not the foam in the suit), duct tape and water.

tools are a good idea as well.

also DISCONNECT your lights. nothing worse than someone's brake lights shining through tape. :mad:

if you're doing it soon in michigan, i would use a street compound tire with threads on the sidewall.

it'll be cold, race tires don't heat well, and unless your in the 5% that can heat up race tires real easy, it'll make for a bad day. the reason for the thread, is it may rain. fyi, rain riding is a good teacher (i wish i could learn the lesson an easier way).

#4 ·
Nickelii said:
Thanks for the reply, you have helped out a lot, do you have a tire preference? How should my suspension be set up? it has not been touched since i bought it and i i weigh about 140 w/ all gear.
thanks
i have an fzr400, 18" wheel means bridgestone. as a new rider to the track, i would think about bt56ss. they're cheap, and decent in the rain. they don't take much to heat up either. but i ride a light weight and you can get away with less tire.

i used 207gp's on the 750's i rode. they weren't bad and i hear good in the rain. but hard to get with the 208's out. i'd ask around.

as for suspension, i found http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issues/jan00/maxclub.htm to be useful. keep in mind, your showa suspension won't have a full range of adjustability. but someone from the club should be able to help you out. one more reason to get there earlier and get teched asap. it's hard to get it setup without help.

#5 ·
Aside from the great advice that Tony gave ya...don't worry to much about set up...as you get faster, the set up will change...

As for tires...the Metzler M-1's are a great street /track tire...again, once you get faster, you'll prolly want more grip, then try a race compound, such as the Supercorsa, or the Rennsport's..

Finally, there are NO trophies given out at track days...ride at a pace that your comfy with, the idea is to learn, learn to be "SMOOTH" as in breaking, shifting gears, acceleratiing, and shifting your weight..ect.. Don't fall into the , I need to catch this guy, or I can't have someone pass me syndrom, makes for a crappy day....Also, don't be affriad to ask the Fast riders for some advice, especially if they race, most are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, and are always willing to help...So..relax, have fun, and let us know how it went..:D

#6 ·
Wow! Tony and Hammer are givning you some real gems of advise. Let me amplify two things.

FIRST: It is not BS to go slow at first (Tony: "first session will be stupid slow (hopefully). the reason why it's slow is you're supposed to be learning the track.") This doesn't just mean for 2-3 laps either. Could take 15 or 20. It really does take some time to find the "flow" of a track. This is something you CANNOT rush, as I found out the hard way back in July.

New track + stupid hurry = Broken collar bone and torn up bike.

SECOND: What Hammer said about other racers being "...some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet..." is so true it is actually kind of weird. There is something... different... about road race people at the track. Not to get tooo philosophical, maybe it is from being a little closer to the "edge" than most folks ever get. Whatever it is, it is real and rather profound, so don't hesitate a second to ask for help from someone when you need it... or to give it when someone asks you. (You might want to skip the guy who is trying like crazy to get his leathers and boots and gloves on, though. He is probably already late. ;) )

#7 ·
Everyone has got great advice here. As for tires and suspension, what you got is fine for the first few track events. once you learn how to go fast you'll understand more about what suspension changes to make and why. Tires will come into play later to, as your speed increases, grip will become more important.

I use the Supercorsa dot race tires on a GSXR750 race bike. Yellow (hard) on the rear, lasts about 4 track days. Blue (semi soft) on the front, about 10 track days. My front goes away due to too many heat cycles then wear. I go through tire faster because I instruct and ride most sessions in a day so my tire wear is different than you'll have, so double it and you should be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.