Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
Heres my story. I just passed my learners permit test today (100%). I have registered for the MVA motorcycle saftey class, but that isnt until aug 22 :(

I am looking for someone in MD (close to baltimore) who would be willing to teach me the basics now. I would pay for whatever gas I used, and would buy lunch whenever we got together. I have studied the manual as much as you could, am a super fast learner with great balance,im just looking for someone to help enlighten me. Please let me know, this would be a huge help...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... did you have to ask? i do not have any form of bike now. Thats why i wanted to make a post and see if i could pursuade peoples good sides to help me. So i need someone with something i can learn on.

thats why i said i would pay gas:).. the bike wont go down i dont plan on riding it in the street in traffic. Only in a big parking lot or something secluded to learn the basics... im hopin someone says "yes":rolleyes: ;)

In addition to food and gas id even be able to pay a "teaching fee" of sorts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, I don't exactly have a good learners bike right now, but I was thinking of taking on a summer project of rebuilding a 250... If I DO, then it'd still be a couple months :(

There's alot of other riders in the baltimore area on SBW, so hopefully someone would be willing to help you out. I'd be up for weekend riding around though if you can find someone to lend a bike.

-Adam

·
Registered
380 Posts
I hate to jinx you, but dropping the bike while learning is almost inevitable. I dropped my first ('80 GS450) in the grass a couple times before I got the hang of balance, clutch, gas, shift.....I taught my sister to ride last year before her MSF class. She dropped her (new Harley) bike twice, both times in the grass- no damage. It's just getting used to the weight, and balance, and turning that makes you drop it. That being said, she did extremely well in the MSF clas, knowing the basics.

If you could scrounge up either cash, beg or borrow a beater bike to learn on ( an ideal would be a 250 dual sport) doesn't have to be nice, you just want it to learn on anyway, right?

sorry- thats not much help. but if you could get a bike to beat on for awhile, I'm sure someone will help you out. Maybe somebody has a old standard or something hanging around the garage?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
This is probably a pretty tough sell. Why not go buy a super cheap bike like an old enduro or nighthawk 250. Probably get it for under 500, don't need plates or insurance if you keep it off te street, and can sell it in 2 months for what you payed.

Just look in the local classifieds and see what you can get that runs and has working brakes. That's about all you need.

Good luck

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why don't you pick up that ZX-6 now, get yourself a 2002 if the 2003's are out. The Dealer WILL sell you a bike with only a learners.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. how will i get it home? no one in my family knows how to drive a bike.

2. i was kinda hopin someone had as th dude above said a "beater bike" they would be willing to show me the basics on. i fi got the basics i would have no problem buying the bike now. but as already statedif i get a nice 6K new bike with NO basic skills, im going down...

i dunno was just hoping for a diff solution

·
Registered
380 Posts
reddragonmd said:
1. how will i get it home? no one in my family knows how to drive a bike.

2. i was kinda hopin someone had as th dude above said a "beater bike" they would be willing to show me the basics on. i fi got the basics i would have no problem buying the bike now. but as already statedif i get a nice 6K new bike with NO basic skills, im going down...

i dunno was just hoping for a diff solution
well, it's not 100% that you will drop it, but it's a strong possibility. If you have the cash or loan, I'd suggest:
-Look in the Sun classifieds this weekend or on cycletrader.com. Look for a 250 dual sport, Kawi EX5oo, Suz GS500, GSF400, Hon CB-1. If you drop one of these, little or no damage to worry about. (Once you learn, you can sell it at the end of the summer for what you paid for it, as apex said.)
-To get it home, borrow or rent a pickup, van, minivan- take some rope, bungee cords, whatever you got. Take a couple sturdy boards. Load it up, tie it down, drive home. Bring a friend to help load and unload. I've done this many times.
-Let us know you got something. Someone from here will probably be willing to teach you. Once you get the basics, it's practice, practice, practice.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, if you have the money to buy the bike now, I'm sure whomever is gonna be teaching you will be happy to ride your new bike home for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Learning

Try a bud or someone who has a dirt bike or motocrosser. Learn in the dirt first, there is much to be absorb there. Plus if you fall or drop the bike it's on the dirt. Dirt bikes are tough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once you get your bike, you'll figure out how hard it is to let someone ride your bike. We'll all teach you if you had a bike....but our bikes are our babies, we put in a lot of time and money getting it just right.

Once you get a bike....you'll see 10 of us trying to teach you. You might get lucky though....there's always a guy out there with a spare bike ......Good luck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
lol, I don't consider Aprilia's starter bikes ;)

They're just so pretty (expensive) and 2-stroke :cool:

U should be able to get a small 250cc sportbike that has some miles on it, but is still functional for under a thousand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts