Sportbike World banner

1st bike suggestions?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  zxrider 
#1 ·
First post here.........

I've ridden for 20 + years. Most kinds of streetbikes, but NO Sportbikes.
Dual Sports until blue in the face.
V-rods, baggers, cruisers......

Now, even though I said I would never do it, I want to learn how to ride a sportbike. Track techniques, turning, lines, energy management, etc. are what interest me. Development of a new skill. I will seek professional instruction as well. No ego involved. Just looking to expand my expertise.

Again I have NO experience on a Sportbike.

My question to those of you that know more about this than I is,
What is a good bike to use for a learning plateform? Some street, some track.
I will move into a more capable bike when the first bike starts holding me back.
Budget: about 6-7 grand.
6'-4" 180 lbs. Good shape
A good understanding of why motorcycles turn, countersteering, counterbalancing (DS/dirt), Gyroscopic presession, Torque, HP, geometry, etc.
I ride about 20,000 miles a year.

Thanks,
Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Any 600. I think the Honda 600RR would be easiest to learn on

#4 ·
You aren't too tall, but some will fit you better than others. Only you can tell which is most comfortable. Go sit on some at a dealership. You can put your feet up on the pegs with the bike on the stand, and see how they fit you. I'm guessing yamaha R6 and triumph 675 will be the most comfortable, and the gixxer will be the least, but its just a guess. Worst case scenario, you may have to get some aftermarket adjustable rearsets. Those are pricey (around $400) but will help with comfort.
The reason I suggested honda is that those bikes seem the be the easiest ones to go fast on. They almost utterly lack in personality, they just do exactly what you want them to.

#5 ·
In that price range you're talking a used '05, '06, maybe '07. I'd advise a Kawi 636, the tallest of the bunch, unless you go with an '07. Then the 600RR would be my first pick. But comfort should be your aim, as Vash noted, so sit on as many as you can find. Your "comfort" position is when the balls of your feet are up, your elbows slightly bent (of course), and you're leaned forward some (standard sportbike position). Each and every bike is likely to feel very different.

If you go the Honda route, consider an aftermarket seat as they're renowned for being boards.

Training in order:
MSF ERP (to get you used to your new baby)
Track school (differs from track day)
Track days, to practice lessons from schools

#9 ·
07 GSX-R1000
Yellow/Silver
New
O miles

And I'd like to think, at age 53, I have the presence of mine not to F*ck it up.
I will be taking pro training
I may embarrass myself, but not my family.
I will not bend the bike.
I will ENJOY myself!!! :)
With all your said riding experience I trust you'll be ok once you adapt to the quickness of the bike. At 53 years young I just hope the bike won't break your back :rolleyes:

#10 ·
this bike is a hoot!

Been busy today, and HOT! (103)
Not good for break-in rides. Managed 2 quick rides before the sun came up. I'm a fanatic about breaking in a new bike.
9 miles on it now.
The bike is a HOOT!
I tried the "C" mode at first. It just had no throttle response. Tried the "A" mode........... Perfect! Just what I was expecting and wanted. Much more like the bikes I'm more proficient with. And, I know and can't wait for the power to come up as the engine breaks in. :love:

BTW: I got a great deal on the bike IMHO. If anyone is considering the GSX-R1000, a deal can be had on left over 07's

Mark

#11 ·
Sweetness, congrats :cheers:

#13 ·
OK.
I put about 700 miles on the new bike.
It's had two oil and filter changes, and Suzuki has done the initial service.

I have not scared myself yet.

The bike is WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY easier to ride than I thought it would be, if your smooooth.

And, WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY more FUN than I thought it would be.

Headed out today to pick up some leathers for future track days.

Mark

#16 ·
I havent read anything but the first message, but a friend that has tonns of reputable-experiance-to-follow and he really liked the SV650, twins are the best :2cents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.