Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal. 1997 ZX6R, 8k miles, $2,400 obo. What do you guys think? We are going to look at it on Friday. Do you think it sounds like a good deal for a starter bike?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That sounds very good.. maybe even a little too low. Just make sure to check it over real good.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If its in good mechanical shape with no frame damage, its a steal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. The guy had it priced at $3,000 then he dropped it to $2,700, and now it is $2400. I think I will low ball him and offer him $2,000 cash, and see what he does. It is in a small town, so I guess he isn't getting many offers. It seems like the bike should be going for 3K plus. I'll check it out tomorrow, or the next day, and give you guys an update.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Price sounds overly low. Unfurtunately for a beginners it is a pretty hot trotting bike & close to the R6 of Yamaha in '99.

Still if the buy is good & you ride it with a lot of care, remembering once it is up in revs a bit it will suddenly come out with a maze of power, then it should be okay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Smitty. I have a little bit of ridding experience on a 250, and I just can't pass this deal up. BTW, your sig is hilarious.

·
Registered
525 Posts
that sounds like a good deal. i sold my 95 ZX6R (identical to 97) 2 years ago for 2600, though I tossed it at the track lots of times.

I wouldn't say the bike is comparable to a R6 at all. I spent 800 on suspension (for the track) and my bike would always push the front, but a stock R6 I rode felt great in the turns. Also the ZX6R weighs 60 lbs more than a R6.

I never had a mechanical problem with my bike, even at the track.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Jonas427 said:
BTW, your sig is hilarious.
If you're referring to Smitty's signature.. you'll find it significantly less hilarious once you're out riding on the street. You will find out that it is 100% true and quite serious. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Jonas427 if you were born with your surname being Smith then you would be accustom to being called "Smitty" or as my Brit friends often said "Smythe".

So the signature fits well (as does yours in being pretty plain & simple so easy to remember) & is not attatched to any products, something I learned when I was a DR in the Cdn Signal Corps, was keep your "handle" simple & not attatched to any products or activitie.

Guess I could have used Smith427 but that seemed to long. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts