Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i just bought a 1988 ex500, and when i test drove it around the block (it was a private party) everything was fine. near the end of the 50 mile trip back home, the throttle suddenly stopped responding and the engine stalled out on me. i stopped at the side of the freeway and restarted it, and then everything was fine again. however, the next day (during the daytime) i noticed that when the bike is on, it leaks quite a substantial amount of oil from the left exhaust area (it's an aftermarket f1 exhaust), and when i rev it some white smoke comes out (of the left one only) which i take to mean that the engine is burning a lot of oil. This leak is quite substantial, and after about 5 minutes there is easily a 6 inch puddle. additionally, the bike idles extremely low (around 1-1.5k rpm) does this have anything to do with the oil leak?

now, after only one day, the bike doesnt even start anymore (which i take to mean all the engine oil has leaked out). can anyone think of a possible solution to this problem, and if i have been ripped off by the seller (i paid $1220 for it [30k miles], after being reasured by her that the bike was in very good operating conditon) is there anything i can do, especially since it hasnt even been 5 days and i still havnt taken the title to the dmv, or am i just screwed? if anyone can help me out with either fixing / refunding this bike, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It definately sounds like you were hosed guy... Maybe there are some "lemon" laws that apply to private sales. Hopefully someone here can tell you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts