Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember these bikes when I was an undergraduate in college. Now I don't see too many. Saw one last week and I got curious. Anyone out there tell me anything about these bikes: reliability, and any other info that might help me out. I am thinking about buying one and really don't know anything about them. Thank you in advance.:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
The '85 VF700F was the last of the first-generation of Interceptors, which began in '83 with the VF750F. It was 700cc rather than 750 due to the Harley tariff, which went into effect in 1984 and applied to bikes over 700cc.

Many of Honda's early V4s had a serious cam/lifter wear problem. Some attribute it to oiling or metallurgy deficiencies, but the most believable explanation I've heard is penny-pinching that eliminated line-boring of the cam bearing bores. Aftermarket kits that improve oiling and purport to solve the problem are available, but I'm skeptical.

Whatever the case, it's difficult to recommend a bike that could end up costing more than it's worth. If you want an early V4, the '86-'89 VFRs (700s and 750s) are real gems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
DataDan said:
The '85 VF700F was the last of the first-generation of Interceptors, which began in '83 with the VF750F. It was 700cc rather than 750 due to the Harley tariff, which went into effect in 1984 and applied to bikes over 700cc.

Many of Honda's early V4s had a serious cam/lifter wear problem. Some attribute it to oiling or metallurgy deficiencies, but the most believable explanation I've heard is penny-pinching that eliminated line-boring of the cam bearing bores. Aftermarket kits that improve oiling and purport to solve the problem are available, but I'm skeptical.

Whatever the case, it's difficult to recommend a bike that could end up costing more than it's worth. If you want an early V4, the '86-'89 VFRs (700s and 750s) are real gems.

I just bought an 87 VFR700 for $1000 and I like it so far. I still like my ZX-7.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first bike was a 1983 VF750 Intercetpor, i bought it outta some old lady's garage for 200 dollars with 3 friends we spend the next 6 months repainting, polishing , and restoring, but its now DEAD. lol engine just wont hold compression, I hope to get a new bike SOON.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts