Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's tire size, not speedometer :D I finally put a 160/60 tire, inplace of the 150/70 that came with the bike. I was in the dealer looking for my 3rd rear tire and now I have made the switch to the Dunlop 207 and it's nice :D Very good traction and I now have a 1/2" on each side of the tire to try and use up. The 150 was always on the edges and I have also noticed that I can go 5 - 10 mph faster into the curves, too.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know that the 5-10 mph is not a speedo error?

------------------
When you're racing youre living, everything else is just waiting. E.K.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are saying that my bike is now 5 - 10 mph slower than it used to be :confused:

I will go out and test my speedometer tomorrow, with my GPS. Funny, it did not make my top-end any higher. Still 145 mph downhill, 500 rpms into the red.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not wait till tomorrow so I went out tonight to test the speedometer. At 60 mph, the gps read 56.5 mph. At 100 mph, the gps read 92.2 mph.

So, with that conclusion, I would say that I was going 5 - 10 mph faster in the curves. The curves that I am referring to were the 10 - 30 mph posted speed limit curves.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Why are you staring at the speedometer through turns? If the "max speed" through the turns is achieved, do you really have time to check speed, air temp, and the barometric reading?
Just asking, not trying to be a dick.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Todd,
Congrats on shoehorning that 160 in there. The swingarm on the new Kat body style must be wider than on the old body style. I toyed w/the idea of putting a 160 on my skinny little 3.5 inch wide rear rim, but w/the stock 150 on it, there's only about 1/2 inch of clearance on either side of the swingarm. Plus, I don't think you can put a 160 on a 3.5 inch rim. It's probably been done, but I'd be concerned w/the safety factor.
BTW, you've now got a 207 on the rear...what's on the front? I've read and heard about the potential for stability problems when mixing tire tread patterns. I.E. high speed weave, front slipping and things of that nature. Just curious.

ps
Isn't it great that we can go right outside our front door and easily find a road to do 150 on? Love those South Texas roads. :D

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

·
Registered
129 Posts
from what i hear (and yes i have been wrong before but not often) is the suzukis have weak transmissions atleast the older ones i dont know about the newer ones. and putting a larger tire on the bike even puts more strain on the suzukis transmission and is not recommended at all. and yes i have a suzuki

------------------
They have the internet on computers now???

P

·
0 Posts
Don't let Todd fool you guys. That 160 didn't exactly fit. He jammed it in there and then rode around on it until the swingarm *made* it fit. Rumor has it that he's now in the market for a new clutch as he burned his up getting that tire to turn. He'll do anything for poser points.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited September 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! I didn't know that I was that good of a rider as to me being able to see the speedometer while entering/exiting a turn.

So how do you all judge how fast to go thru the turns if you don't even know how fast you are going before you get there? :confused: I guess that you could rely on the guy in front of you and hope that he is the same level of experience as you, OR you could just glance down real quick and see how fast/slow you are going and adjust your speed accordingly. :rolleyes:
The 160/60 tire will fit onto a 4.5" rim with no problems and fits with 3/4" of room between the tire and swing arm. :D

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As to the transmission failing, I do not see why going up 1 size in tires will ruin the transmission. What kind of extra strain does it exert? It's also 1 size lower in overall height, so maybe that will help the transmission last longer. I have not heard of a tranny failure on a bike that will never do a wheelie and cause oil starvation, just because the tire is a 160/60.

The bike seems pretty stable with the Metzeler MZ3 front, Dunlop 207 rear. No wobbles or weird handling problems that I have noticed.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, let's see here.
A 160/60. It's 160 wide and it's 60% of that width tall. Correct? Doing the math that is 96 mm. A 150/70 would be 105 mm tall. Is that correct? So really the larger tire should have a smaller diameter? I'm not getting it either, I was just doing math. Something wrong here?

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've owned three Suzukis. My '79 GS 750E had overbored cylinders and the pistons from the 850, a Yoshimura racing header, and an oversize rear tire. I put 50,000 plus miles on it before it was stolen.

My 1982 GS650E was bone stock (except for the handlebars) and I put 30,000 hard miles on it. My 1983 GS550ES ran more than 30,000 miles before I sold it.

Not one of those bikes gave me any transmission problems. So much for internet lore.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts