Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a thread about how fast people have gone on there bikes. I was wondering where people go to hit speeds of 120+, and what your reaction would be if you saw a cop at that speed(keep going pull over?). thanks

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I do it when going uphill for cops USUALLY do not watch out for speeders going up hill. Still who am I to say for on my Yamaha YZF600r I was in 4th & littling the revs sing away, with still more to go. Stopped at the light, into my town, saw the cage in front of me back up so I coasted back a bit only a white cage was there, then took a 2nd look & it was RCMP Hwy Patrol though nothing blinking.

Made that left turn killed my signal lights & RCMP behind me to hit all. Stopped & he had clocked me doing 179kph---around 110mph when speed limit was 90 to shift to 60kph--55 to 35mph.

Sometimes I just feel like letting it loose & I do it when I know the road well & all the ups & downs & bends in said road. My chance & my gamble. So I am still paying for the points of previous speeding tickets even though said speeding tickets were payed within the same or next day or two. As they are light compared to the points.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Like the time I got a speeding ticket for doing a claimed 117kph---70mph on a max 90kph--60mph slowing down to 80kph--50mph. When I said I was just going around the pace of there rest of the traffic & RCMP m/c Contstable said "What traffic?" & was right for nothing close to me yet really going slow, for my usual pace, as I knew in 5 minutes I would have cought up to some slow moving cages with just double yellow lines & so no passing. Fitting with "--Out in the country, no people for miles.--".

So sometimes such things do not work when they want to lay a ticket on a sportbike rider, even an old fart like me.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just topped out my bike at WOT this morning. 144mph (with -1 +2 gearing. I have a speedo healer too so the speedometer is accurate). I might be able to hit 150 going downhill if I fully tuck in. When there's a long uphill stretch is a good place to do it to avoid cops like Smitty said, but of course you're using more gas and you won't max out your speed if that's what you're going for. Also I have seen cops waiting just past the crest of hill, so I usually slow down at the top.

Anyway, I did it on an interstate highway (287 for anyone who lives in NJ). Plenty of long straights on highways. If I passed a cop at that speed I doubt they would even bother pulling out, I haven't but some of the guys I ride with have passed cops and they just keep going. If you're doing 150 when you pass a cop sitting on the side of the highway, you're going to be miles ahead of him by the time he pulls out and gets up to speed. Then he has to go fast enough to catch up to you. Just duck off on the second or third exit if you see him start to move as you pass him.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Thing is back in '77 I was only doing around 60mph when I went through a new speed zone of the hwy marked 50mph.

True the followed me claiming I clocked 71mph & then opened up to 120 mph & when I saw them I opened up to around 140mph for a 2.5 miles traffic chase with heavy traffic & also radioded ahead for blockage by another RCMP car.

Yes the '76 Honda CB-400F was a nice bike & obviously I had the fastest one every for when we tested the bike on the Westwood Road Racing Cirucuit with my heavy gear of the time I could not reach 85mph though a chap in his racing leather & 35lbs my lighter was able to reach 90mph.

So YES the cops can radio ahead so do not count on outruning them.

In my case I noted them crawling along & waved them by, but they did not & realized it was me they were after. Bummer for I had gone down to 4th gear to let the revs go up to 11 thou & just a short distance ahead I was going to do a heat check on the plugs & yes the improved rear shocks & better tyres were gripping for as the cops admitted in said chase(???) they did not pass any vehicles amongst the heavy traffic & neither did I to actually not only did I stay in the lane, but seemed to stick to the white shoulder line!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six months loss of DL, max fine fine at the time was all they could throw at me for from '46 till '77 I had never received even a parking ticket. So it seems the Magistrate concluded the bike had gone through at 71 mph & had gone up to 90mph. Slightely different to the report to the Sgt on duty would you not think? Note I am not saying anything about guns drawen, being hit in the back of the neck of the one saying "Another second of your f--cking around & I would have killed you" for that had to do about trying to converse with them when I could not get my FF helmet off IMMEDIATELY, & trying to loosen up my riding gear so I would not become to hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smitty said:
Thing is back in '77 I was only doing around 60mph when I went through a new speed zone of the hwy marked 50mph.

True the followed me claiming I clocked 71mph & then opened up to 120 mph & when I saw them I opened up to around 140mph for a 2.5 miles traffic chase with heavy traffic & also radioded ahead for blockage by another RCMP car.

Yes the '76 Honda CB-400F was a nice bike & obviously I had the fastest one every for when we tested the bike on the Westwood Road Racing Cirucuit with my heavy gear of the time I could not reach 85mph though a chap in his racing leather & 35lbs my lighter was able to reach 90mph.

So YES the cops can radio ahead so do not count on outruning them.

In my case I noted them crawling along & waved them by, but they did not & realized it was me they were after. Bummer for I had gone down to 4th gear to let the revs go up to 11 thou & just a short distance ahead I was going to do a heat check on the plugs & yes the improved rear shocks & better tyres were gripping for as the cops admitted in said chase(???) they did not pass any vehicles amongst the heavy traffic & neither did I to actually not only did I stay in the lane, but seemed to stick to the white shoulder line!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six months loss of DL, max fine fine at the time was all they could throw at me for from '46 till '77 I had never received even a parking ticket. So it seems the Magistrate concluded the bike had gone through at 71 mph & had gone up to 90mph. Slightely different to the report to the Sgt on duty would you not think? Note I am not saying anything about guns drawen, being hit in the back of the neck of the one saying "Another second of your f--cking around & I would have killed you" for that had to do about trying to converse with them when I could not get my FF helmet off IMMEDIATELY, & trying to loosen up my riding gear so I would not become to hot.
dude, i cannot understand what the heck you are saying. :2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Around here there are plenty of lone country roads that have never seen a cop car.
As for passing a cop at that speed, I always think its not evading untill he turn his lights on. So if he actually gets to me and pulls me over, I'll pull over and ask to (please please please) not give me a ticket.
What worries me a whole lot more, is what do you do when you see a deer at that speed? I already know what happens when you see a buzzard...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
...What worries me a whole lot more, is what do you do when you see a deer at that speed?...
Tuck down as far as you can and kiss your a**e goodbye!

·
Registered
6 Posts
banse inc said:
dude, i cannot understand what the heck you are saying. :2cents:
oh no! i'm gonna get flamMed!

the part i quoted wasn't as bad...but after reading his FIRST reply further up. jeeze, learn some grammar or something. :thumb:

example...

Still who am I to say for on my Yamaha YZF600r I was in 4th & littling the revs sing away, with still more to go.
...WHAT???

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
banse inc so you are the perfectionist I see & you have never made a mistake or two in your life?

I will not be around when you become 74+ years of age, but when you do, then give this old sod some thought & tell me, in your mind, you are still a perfectionist & are into your 59th year of riding.

There is not a finger or thumb on my two hands that has not been damaged extensively. In many cases I have to tap the keys sideways like when one uses the thumb because some of my fingers have been crushed or tendions toren & some of the skin grafting was not that great while some parts of the fingers are stubs.

As an ex-m/c competitor (for 42 yrs) we really did in our hands & the same goes as a farmer for some yrs as well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
cookeetree said:
Tuck down as far as you can and kiss your a**e goodbye!
:laughing:

Luckily there are very few deer on NJ highways... none, in fact.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
banse inc said:
oh no! i'm gonna get flamMed!

the part i quoted wasn't as bad...but after reading his FIRST reply further up. jeeze, learn some grammar or something. :thumb:

example...

...WHAT???
You're a new member here, and it seems less and less likely that you're going to form friendships with few of the most presitigious and experienced riders out there, whether you care or not.

By the way, I wouldn't be giving English grammar lessons if I were you, your sentence structure and reference isn't flawless.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Alright guys stop jumping on the newbe's case.

banse:
A few things you should know about smitty. He's been around since they invented motorcycles it seems like. The guy is a wealth of info, and tends to remember bizzarre details about what sort of head the used on bikes during the great depression. Litterally. I for one suspect vampirism, but you gotta respect anyone that has been riding longer than I've been alive times two. And didnt go out and get himself a goldwing, no he STILL rides sportbikes. That says something about character.
The guy is however insanely hard to understand (no offence smitty, but you are). Part of it is the bizzare slang he probly picked over the years, part side effects of injuries, and part desire for fresh human blood. Whatever it is, its worth taking the time to read over his posts 3 or 4 times and becouse he is a wealth of information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vash said:
Alright guys stop jumping on the newbe's case.

banse:
A few things you should know about smitty. He's been around since they invented motorcycles it seems like. The guy is a wealth of info, and tends to remember bizzarre details about what sort of head the used on bikes during the great depression. Litterally. I for one suspect vampirism, but you gotta respect anyone that has been riding longer than I've been alive times two. And didnt go out and get himself a goldwing, no he STILL rides sportbikes. That says something about character.
The guy is however insanely hard to understand (no offence smitty, but you are). Part of it is the bizzare slang he probly picked over the years, part side effects of injuries, and part desire for fresh human blood. Whatever it is, its worth taking the time to read over his posts 3 or 4 times and becouse he is a wealth of information.
Oh. I thought smitty was French, that's why he writes like he does. Being from canada, etc, I just ASSumed.

I hope to be able to ride when I'm 74 years old. Heck, I hope I can still CHEW my food at 74. :D

On topic - I went 150 a few times on my 93 CBR -600 (well, 150 indicated, I think they top out at an actual 145).

A couple times out in the country on long straights in an area I knew VERY well.

ONCE down I-71 in Columbus at 3 am. It was myself and about 8 other guys, 3 lanes of divided highway and not a car in sight. Problem with that one was that I was almost the slowest one there. Some guy on a ZX-11 cracked his throttle open and I thought my CBR had exploded. I realized what the noise was when I saw him running away (mind you, I was doing 100+ at that point).

·
Registered
6 Posts
alright, alright. let me first apologize to smitty. i didn't know your hands aren't in the best condition (and you couldn't have a better reason to have your condition).

that said, some of you need to lighten up. i wasn't attacking w/ whole-hearted seriousness. i could care less if somebody doesn't know how to type correctly and whatnot on an internet forum. truth be told, it was hard to understand some of what smitty was trying to say, and i was just dumbfounded as to the utterly confusing combination of words that was written. i was amused by it, honestly. i wasn't making a personal attack on smitty, but i understand it was perceived that way. i guess i need to add in a smiley or two next time.

anyway, much respect for ya smitty. :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
I just topped out my bike at WOT this morning. 144mph (with -1 +2 gearing. I have a speedo healer too so the speedometer is accurate). I might be able to hit 150 going downhill if I fully tuck in. When there's a long uphill stretch is a good place to do it to avoid cops like Smitty said, but of course you're using more gas and you won't max out your speed if that's what you're going for. Also I have seen cops waiting just past the crest of hill, so I usually slow down at the top.

Anyway, I did it on an interstate highway (287 for anyone who lives in NJ). Plenty of long straights on highways. If I passed a cop at that speed I doubt they would even bother pulling out, I haven't but some of the guys I ride with have passed cops and they just keep going. If you're doing 150 when you pass a cop sitting on the side of the highway, you're going to be miles ahead of him by the time he pulls out and gets up to speed. Then he has to go fast enough to catch up to you. Just duck off on the second or third exit if you see him start to move as you pass him.
I know 287 very well. I see cops lurking in wait for your ass. What part were you refering to? Lower or higher numbered exits? I've been fortunate not to ever pass the police at let's just say excessive speed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
sixer said:
I know 287 very well. I see cops lurking in wait for your ass. What part were you refering to? Lower or higher numbered exits? I've been fortunate not to ever pass the police at let's just say excessive speed.
Don't worry, I know where the cops hide on the sections of 287 that I frequent. I don't want to post any exact places because I know some cops browse sport bike forums.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can reach those speeds on almost any stretch seeing that these bikes can reach those speeds in seconds. That fastest I have gone was on my friends 2001 R6, that was 163mph according to his speedometer. It was early in the morning on the turnpike here in NJ.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts