Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that's it, I'm outta commision for a while here. I took a low speed crash over some loose gravel in a construction zone. I ended up with a gigantic hole in my left foot, some road rash, and a dinged up 919 :crying: The good news? Percocet :drool: !!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
sucks for you then, but I'm sure you're all happy now ;) Hope the bike isn't too bad, and it sound like you be just fine, better then fine as long as ur on the meds :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Honda919Rider said:
Well, that's it, I'm outta commision for a while here. I took a low speed crash over some loose gravel in a construction zone. I ended up with a gigantic hole in my left foot, some road rash, and a dinged up 919 :crying: The good news? Percocet :drool: !!!
Bummer!! I guess you will be picking gravel out of your wound for awhile.:crying: But just wash those percocets down with a cold one & take care until you're back on 2 wheels. Of course you will be in my prayers, should I put in a word for your bike:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Honda919Rider, I'mreally sorry to hear about your fall.
I hope you can get on your bike soon!

Aris

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Aris! The foot is still banged up, but maybe in a few weeks. I NEED TO RIDE!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall!:( Hope you get well soon, and get back on your bike.

Question, though.

What were you wearing, on your feet, too get such a "gigantic hole":confused: at 15 MPH

Ride Well

:cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, let's just say that any rider who says, "I'm just going for a casual ride today - nothing crazy, hence, I don't need all that gear for this ride," is fooling themselves. However, that is exactly what I said to myself. Two hours later I was laying in the back of an ambulance w/ the paramedics saying they couldn't find a pulse in the foot (is that why it turned so blue?).

Go buy as much protective gear as you can afford - it's not worth loosing life/limb.

(P.S. - the foot stayed on - THANK GOD!:eek: )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, let me clarify - I was wearing a pair of leather Sketchers. Don't laugh, because I know many people wear less - even sneakers.
But with the shear weight and force of the bike, it just fell over on it's left side and the shifter ended up punching through the shoe - leaving a nice big gaping wound down to the bone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Honda919Rider said:
Actually, let me clarify - I was wearing a pair of leather Sketchers. Don't laugh, because I know many people wear less - even sneakers.
But with the shear weight and force of the bike, it just fell over on it's left side and the shifter ended up punching through the shoe - leaving a nice big gaping wound down to the bone.
um sketchers being sneakers, boots, what? I was gonna get a set of alpinestars boots this week but I don't know they've got any more protection on the *top* of them than normal hiking boots.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spend the money on motorcycle gear. Save the hiking boots for hiking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
footwear

You may laugh and flame but.. when it's warm out.. and you just wanna ride somewhere.. well.. I've been notorious for just keeping on my Tevas when I ride. and when I lived in a state that didn't have a helmet law? Well.. it just feels good.. and isn't that why we do a lot of things? btw.. I have all my body parts in excellent condition.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I live in Greece and although it's compulsory only half of the people riding bikes wear helmets. The laws are quite loosely imposed.
The usual excuse is , 'I'm not going to go far' or 'I'm not going to go fast' etc.
I made my decision to not go without helmet anymore 5 years ago. It was after I smashed my BELL M2 on the side of a car...I wasn't going fast or far...
I just hope everyone makes this decision without smashing their heads instead of their helmets, because it might be too late to make such a decision.
I have a friend who bought a Kawa ZR7 (like mine( recently, and only wears a helmet if he's going on a trip or something. Nevertheless he goes to work on the bike every day and occasionally up to 180 km/h on the ring road... He's plain stupid, but I can't change his mind :( I just hope he doesn't get hurt.

On a side note, it's always good to wear at least jeans (no shorts) and proper shoes if not boots.

Aris

·
Registered
627 Posts
ariszr7 said:

I have a friend who bought a Kawa ZR7 (like mine( recently, and only wears a helmet if he's going on a trip or something. Nevertheless he goes to work on the bike every day and occasionally up to 180 km/h on the ring road... He's plain stupid, but I can't change his mind :( I just hope he doesn't get hurt.

On a side note, it's always good to wear at least jeans (no shorts) and proper shoes if not boots.

Aris
I too hope he doesn't have to learn the hard way the importance of gear. @ 180 km/h (112.5 mph) even in just a lay down he could get killed or seriously damaged.
This evening my nephew was helping me with changing my filter (installed a K&N:D) and plugs. I've let him try my bike a couple of times just so he can see the difference between the big/heavy '88 CBR 1000 he rides occasionally & a true sportbike. He began to lament the helmet law in much the same way as your friend, just wanting to go some place nearby without gearing up. I told him that if he wanted to see the risk he was taking to run @ full speed into my garage wall head first. He said something like "that would be crazy". Of course he then realized my point. I admit I don't always put on everything I own for a quick run to the store but never without my helmet & gloves. I've also ridden in my sandals before but had the bad experience of stubbing my toe & getting the shift lever caught on the strap. That was the last time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with ya'll -- it's too easy to be stupid. I was over in Thailand the past few months (courtesy of the Army) and had the chance to rent a R1 (2002) for $25 a day. Of course I jumped on that deal. Bad thing was all I had was shorts, sandals and a t-shirt. Well, the power of denial kicked in at full force (I'm a great rider, I'm careful, it won't happen to me -- bla bla bla) I did ride all day and into the next, but sure as hell it was when I was on my way to return the bike when IT happened. downhill, super sharp right turn and there was oil in the road. Down I went, damn near naked. I was only going about 15mph so the road rash was not too bad. Sad thing was that beautiful R1 kept on sliding down the hill for another 50 meters or so. No frame sliders -- so sad! That turned out to be a really expensive rental :(

So yes, hell or high water, I'm all for wearing the proper gear.

Have fun out there and stay safe!

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts