Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hopefully to pick up my new bike i will be going to michigan at 5am tomorrow, and arrive at 10:30am on thursday, where i will immediately start my 1160 mile trip back home... in one sitting, think it's even possible?.. people are welcome to give me cell phone numbers to ride stretches of it with me ;]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops

i'm going to post the long part of the directions so anyone that wants to ride a while with me on the way back (if anyone at all can), on a different note, if you need any pictures of movies hosted, email or pm me ;].. anyway, directions...
4: Merge onto I-94 E. 255.11 miles
5: Stay straight to go onto I-39 S (Portions toll). 67.19 miles
6: Stay straight to go onto I-90 E (Portions toll). 107.04 miles
7: Take the I-65/US-12/DUNES HWY/US-20 exit- exit number 17- towards INDIANAPOLIS. 0.73 miles
8: Keep RIGHT at the fork in the ramp. 0.32 miles
9: Merge onto I-65 S. 149.33 miles
10: Take the exit- exit number 111- towards MICHIGAN ST./OHIO ST./FLETCHER AVE.. 0.21 miles
11: Merge onto I-65 S. 568.25 miles

i'm assuming if you live close to any of that riding, you'd know it... anyway, thanks ;]

·
Registered
624 Posts
Personally, I don't think logging that many miles in one sitting is safe, unless you're on a 'Wing. You'll be getting beat up by highway wind, 18-wheelers, possible weather conditions, all on a new saddle. I say you play it safe and get a cheap hotel room in the middle of the trip.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Bonk is CORRECT.

I have ridden some LONG distances, but never tried to flirt my life with other vehicles when I knew I would become tired & not alert.
Like Bonk says, find yourself a motel. I have slept in haystacks, off in the ditch or patch of trees, by a tractor in a field, etc,
Even on a short trip of 300 miles I will pull into a quite area, have some water & part of a sandwich I have made for the trip (on my way back for that is when one becomes more tired then at the start), plus knowing I have reserve immergency rations in case something holds me up overnight

·
Registered
492 Posts
No way in hell would I attempt that. 1100 miles in a car is a long, tiring day for me. Seems like it would be a miserable trip on a bike. Good luck on the trip dude. Have the time and money available for a hotel stay, just in case.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem here is age, i'm 17 - i am an emancipated minor, so anyone who knows anything legal knows that legally, contract wise, ownership wise, i'm an adult - however most hotels take so long looking over my emancipation papers it takes me 6 hours to check in, so unless someone who lives halfway down the trip wants to be my name on a hotel room and let me pay them, i'll be atleast attempting to make a one trip shot of it - how successful it will be we'll see, i know to stop when i start getting tired, or not as alert... but i think if i rest right, and i stop frequently to keep myself hocked up on gatorade and good food in me, i'll atleast have a fighting chance. and a REALLY sore ass when i get home.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's called i haven't updated my profile yet, see - i got a 954 brand new, and then my daddy (me being 17, and he got it for me) decided it was not a good idea to buy brand new, or him pay for it, so i'm going 1/3rd of the way across the country to buy my very own 1995 honda cbr 900 rr with my very own money, and hey.. i could always get one of those old people bladder-on-your-leg deals.. and another one for water (ew)

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
If I lived in that area you would be more than welcome to crash at my place, but Arizona is a little out of your way. :(

Be carefull and if you get tired pull off the side of the road and sleep on the ground if ya have to.

P.S. Be sure and update us after the trip and let us know you made it back home safe!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Bonk! said:
Personally, I don't think logging that many miles in one sitting is safe, unless you're on a 'Wing. You'll be getting beat up by highway wind, 18-wheelers, possible weather conditions, all on a new saddle. I say you play it safe and get a cheap hotel room in the middle of the trip.

Just my $.02.
He stole my thunder. What he said, homeboy. You don't got a full dress tourer (Goldwing or other), so leave the ironbutt stuff to the people with catheters and fuel cells.

Another $0.02. But I wish you all the fun in the world and I will certainly say a prayer for you tonight that you have a safe trip, brother. :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
No way. Scary proposition...

I used to drive down to southern california from northern washington here on the west coast about once every year or two. And even in a car there was no way we could make the shot alone. About 1/2 way there you just can't stay awake anymore. I'd really reccomend what the others are suggesting get a hotel about halfway down, even if it does take them awhile to admit you.

I'm a realitively new rider myself and after about 3 hrs in the saddle I am starting to get super sore. 18 hrs in the saddle nonstop on a sportbikes seems like too much. And I ride practically the same bike as the one you are buying.

Edit: And get some frame sliders ASAP. Save your farings when the bike falls over for some dumb reason in the parking lot. Everyone drops the bike on accident eventually.. Wish I would have bought mine before I dropped it. :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you gonna be insured with this bike during the ride, or are you waiting til you get back home.

AND

I bet some of the smaller hotels will take you in for the night if you be straight forward. Show em the bike, the bill of sale, and the receipts for gas. Pay cash at the hotel, and I bet they will let you rest up. It beats them feeling guilty for hearing you had an accident.

AND

I would THINK there is a closer seller for the bike you want to buy. But I KNOW you already searched exhaustively for one right???

·
Registered
76 Posts
How young are you?

I once drove 2800 miles from San Diego to Detroit non-stop in 28 hours... couldnt do that now though!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wee

well, turns out i'm not as much of an idiot as i thought.. i got up to st. paul, the bike is WONDERFUL... (to answer your question, yes i looked around everywhere, if you would like to show me another 95 cbr with 1800 original miles, and proof of a 9.2second quarter mile, i'd be happy to know where.. well, would've been), paid cash for it, got the title signed over, took it for a little test spin... was really tired, and missed the kick stand, put a nice little scratch on the crank case cover, sucsk but not a big deal at all.. atleast now i'll never miss it again.. anyway, i decided to fly home and have the bike shipped, woot!

·
Registered
866 Posts
the bike only has 1800 miles and he gave you a time slip, man it sounds like it was used and abused only in 1/4 mile sprints, good luck with that chief, been there done that

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
THANKFULLY you did not try to ride back with the bike.

It seems the 4.5 hr trip there was hard on you as you were "tired" & in the short run on the bike you forgot to put down the prop stand.
Just imagine what it would have been like if you had attempted to ride the bike all the way back?
Obviously you made it up there by bus or a ride in a car & you decided to take an airplane flight home & the bike will be shipped. Posslibly some our our advice actually sunk in.
Hope that it will NOT be damaged in shipping. Still that crazy idea to attempt to ride back would have probably killed you literally.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: THANKFULLY you did not try to ride back with the bike.

Smitty said:
It seems the 4.5 hr trip there was hard on you as you were "tired" & in the short run on the bike you forgot to put down the prop stand.
4.5 hour trip there? Please, try 28 hour trip there, that's why i was tired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts