Sportbike World banner

11/13/01 - Is Harley V-Rod a sportbike?

26K views 62 replies 60 participants last post by  ochoa0042 
#1 ·
Do you consider the Harley V-Rod to be a sportbike?

This question was suggested by Grok. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nope, I don't think it's a sportbike but a viable cruiser by today's cruiser standards. Nice to see HD create something new for a change. From what I hear, problem is that most hardcore Harley fanatics don't like them, but that's par for the course.

#2 ·
I never really ever considered owning a hog, but the new bike is really a noce looking bike. They are building them here in KC so I hope to take a spin on one sooner or later. I think it will help the sales of the younger folks that want a harley. One thing that gets on my nerves is when people say 'they just turned to the Japanese for help, that's all'. I wasn't aware that Porche was Japanese.

#3 ·
I wouldn't consider the V-Rod a sportbike but as far as cruisers go it is pretty cool. I still would not own one though. If I wanted a cruiser I could get more bike for less money from either Honda or Yamaha. I hear that Yamaha overhauled one of their cruisers so that it rides more like a sportbike and added more power. I was in drooling over an R6 and the sale guy was saying how great it was suposed to be (he has cruisers).

#4 · (Edited)
A local newspaper reporter/biker had one for a review. I kinda' like it BUT... it has forward controls with no apparent way to move them back under you because the exhaust is in the way. It's a shame because it appears to have promise otherwise. It put out over 100 horse at the rear on a local dyno (I think it was 107, might have even been 115, but don't remember for sure). A lot of unique, nice, finishing touches. Those who rode it complained of the peg placement but said it really goes!

#16 ·
The V Rod has overhead cams. The only similarity to a sportbike.
Now the 02 Yamaha Road Warrior has R1 forks, R1 front brakes, aluminum frame, fuel injection, aluminum rims and......
Much more sportbike stuff on this muscle cruiser. Prostar is even running a muscle cruiser class for 2002. Not to mention Yamaha offers a hop up kit to push the hp over 100. When the day comes for me to ride a motorcycle where my knees don't touch my elbows it will be a bike like the Warrior <-----(cool name too).

#20 ·
Drop about 400 lbs, shorten the wheelbase, and it might qualify....

In the mean time every legitimate sportbike especially the repli-racer rice burners will blow the mirrors off it anywhere...

And for around $20,000: :barf:

#26 ·
Dunlop D207's don't make the V-Rod a sportbike. But try explaining the difference to some of the idiots I work with. In their mind if it doesn't have apehangers it's not a cruiser.

I like the way it looks. I would never own it. Too expensive & already subject to a recall (engines not producing stated power) If I ever wanted to sellout and buy a cruiser I'd buy a Yamaha V-Max. Came out in the mid 80's and has yet to be matched:hurl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.