Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its been 2 months since I wrecked the RR and now that summer is just a week away for me I've been thinking of crazy things. 1st idea: Is it possible to take a 2004 1000RR engine and put it in a 2004 600RR frame? This may sound stupid, and chances of it are slim as I know the frames are totally different. But how much different could they be in terms of dimentions and mounting position? I looked at some picturs and the size doesn't seem to be that much different. But beyond that, I have no idea. No, I haven't done any research yet cause I just thought about it like 5 mins ago.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it would take a lot of time to do and would probably be a bitch and a half. But if you really want to and have the ability, Im sure you could do it, I wouldnt ride it though!:D

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Are you planning on making custom mounts on the frame so you could bolt the engine down? I have no clue if it would fit or not, but if the frames are a little different in size then the bolts probobly wouldn't line up at all. Sounds like alot of work though. Thats just my uneducated :2cents: though. Good luck on it if you go for it.

Sepias

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi JBaz-

I'm sure the excellent Honda engineers have optimized the design for the various engine / frame arrangements. Why not just obtain the frame that correlates to the best engine you have available?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the thing is that the two frames are completely different, but I don't know if the mounting positions are the same. I just wanted to know if it was possible, I haven't put more than 5 mins of thought into this.

I've been looking at the schematics between the two, the only differences I see is that mounting brackets for plastics and other things are different. I'm also not sure of the actual distances between the positions, so the mount points may look correct, but could be off by like a 1mm, since the diagrams aren't to scale with no way to measure the positions.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If the engine lines up, altering the fairing mounting positions would be very easy, which I'm sure you already figured.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
^ I wouldn't need to since I'd be using a 600 frame with 600 plastics, but the mounts for the radiator maybe different. The water pump on a 1000RR seems to be on the left side of the engine block, instead of a 600rr where its right behind the radiator on the front of the engine block.

I should hit up my local honda dealer and talk to some mechanics.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pretty much a 2" chuck off the engine block where the stator is. I could reweld it, but the master welder said that when he welds it, it could melt/burn away gaskets near there. And there's quite a bit of gaskets near there and could have oil leaks in the surrounding area.

I was thinking about parting it out, but I love the RR too much to part it, but damn engines are expensive! lol Shit engines for these RR's are about the same price of what I got the whole damn bike for.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi JBaz-

If that's the case, then just take the insurance money and put it towards a new 2006 sportbike fresh from the factory. You'll get a new warranty and won't have to worry about peculiar engineering problems.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
He bought it as a fixxer upper bike, I doubt he has full coverage on it,

Next time stick some sliders in there, and for stunts, those cage aso help to save the frame and engine.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yo jbaz, my :2cents: is theres no way in hell a 1000rr engine will fit in a 600rr frame. bikes are designed around the engine. the 1000rr frame is bigger and a different geometry for a reason...and that reason is the bigger and different shaped engine. even if it did fit, i dont think it would be even somewhat safely rideable, especially with custom mount holes.

not to get your hopes down or anything, but i think you would spend a lot of money and even more of your time than its worth to try and do it, just buy a 1000rr thats been layed down for 4 or 5g and fix it up. or just get a new 600rr engine and call it good

·
Registered
295 Posts
i would think it could prolly fit, but it would change the way it handles and such and may not be as good? i dont know thats all i got

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you can get a Liter motor into a 600 gixxer, then you can do it with a CBR too.

Custom motor mounts would definatly be required, and probably a whole lot more.

I suggest you check out some CBR forums and see if anyone has any transplanting experiences to share.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
As a winter project you could possibly do the job, only you might find the end results not up to what you expected.

One failure was a Matchless 500cc OHV single scrambler power-plant & gearbox I stuffed into a Greeves Scottish 200cc scrambler. Ground clearance was quite low though it scared the 'ell out of me in handeling, basically do stopping power, & its speed plus worke needed to be done on the suspension being another winter job, though fortunately some American trouist saw it & bought it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hehe, insurance? I didn't even get it titled. I have all the paperwork and was about to make it legal, but hey, shit happens. Looks like I'll just part it out and spend the money on the gixxer. Unless I find more wrecked bike deals.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Well atleast you didn't spend to money to get it all into your name or insure it. I'd be willing to bet that you could clear your purchase price parting out the bike, especially if you do it over ebay. I've seen my bike part out for close to 5k. Good luck selling.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I should, I've seen clear title framed with paper work go between 800-1500 bucks. I also have headlight, forks, rotors, calipers, rims, good tires, sub frame, computer, airbox, air filter,radiator, water pump, fuel hoses, plastics that are still in decent shape, and some other things.

Now my question is, how do I ship a large item such as a frame? It may only weigh like 20 or so pounds, but its pretty large.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Call Fedex or UPS and ask them. I'm sure they can give you info on what you need to do to ship a large item like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts