Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you always wear a helmet? Ever ridden without one?

I pretty much always wear my helmet, even if just running a quick errand. I have, however, ridden without one but only on the infield at the race track or moving the bike around in a parking lot. I don't see how it's comfortable to ride much without one. The bug I took in the head yesterday would have really hurt without a helmoet on, not to mention wind noise and wind burn. :eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Choices

I've no choice in the matter as it's compulsory here. Although I used to ride off-road a lot of the time without one, I must say that I do prefer to wear one as those damn bugs hurt !

·
Registered
624 Posts
I always, always, always wear a helmet. I think once you've seen an accident where the rider didn't wear one, you always will too. I think I read somewhere that 70% of all accidents occur within 5 miles of home - whether it's your fault or not, you go down without a helmet and you'll pay the price. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I used to ride without a helmet alot. Then I hit a dog one night doing 85mph, and I went down. I was lucky, cause I had been out street racing that night, and had brought a helmet with me for a change. I wear one everytime I go out now.....;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Couldn't have said it any better myself Bonk............I took a spill skateboarding and smacked my melon.......that was two years-ago and I still have problems from it.........your thinker is no match for asphalt or guardrails........;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I got hit with a junebug the size of a golfball once. If I didn't have a helmet on it was have dented my thick skull! As it was, I nearly got knocked off the bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Also...

Was on my way home from work last night, rolled up to a light. Several cars ahead of me, I saw a guy (maybe 18) with his girl on the back. Neither had helmets on. To top things off, he's got on his leather jacket.

I hate it when peeps don't wear their skull, but it's even worse when you see the pilot wearing his and his girl wearing glasses. How cruel. "Hey, come ride with me, but if we crash, i'm gonna live....."

Oh well.

P:finger:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Always

After totaling a bike about 3 mos ago, and landing on my skidlid, and it cracking (really) I'll never go without again.

And for the record, I was exactly 3 blocks from home at 7am on a clear Sunday morning.

Yes, it did ruin the little rainbow sticker!:p

Buck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here in Massachusetts, it's required. One time I rode into CT and took it off. I rode about 400 yards, pulled over and put it back on. I didn't like the feeling of it not being on, not to mention I could all of a sudden hear these odd noises coming from all over my bike!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Not a chance. Traffic school just taught me that there's no excuse for speeding. There is no excuse good enough for NOT wearing your (full face) helmet. :eek:

·
Registered
753 Posts
phalanx said:
Here in Massachusetts, it's required. One time I rode into CT and took it off. I rode about 400 yards, pulled over and put it back on. I didn't like the feeling of it not being on, not to mention I could all of a sudden hear these odd noises coming from all over my bike!

No shit, it sounds all kind of messed up doesn't it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
shannon muse said:

No shit, it sounds all kind of messed up doesn't it.
When I took my helmet off, I heard this rapping noise that changed in speed with my RPM's. It wasn't metallic sounding but it was close enough for me to think I had a valve going. When i put my helmet on I could still hear it because I was looking for it. I eventually pulled the head off and all my valves were fine. I was stumped because it was still making the noise. I went to a mechanic friend and told him about my problem. He asked if I had changed anything on the bike recently. I said I installed high energy coils and new wires. As soon as I said that, he told me that what I was hearing is the spark from the sparkplug. I couldn't tell you how relieved I was to hear that!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I always wear a helmet on the road over here as it is compulsary. Although i have gone a quick blast without one in my younger stupid days:(
When i came of my bike my head went through a car windscreen. I hate to think what would of happened if i hadnt had a helmet on:hurl: .
I went to get a new helmet after the crash and when i got my new lid i drop tested the old one one the road.
After two bounces the helmet split:eek:
So even though you are wearing a helmet make sure that it has never been dropped or in an accident.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always wear one now 'cause: 1) mandatory in Washington and 2) mandatory for Navy folks. Before I joined, though, I never wore one since dear old dad always wanted me to. I guess that's just being 17...

But it doesn't bother me to see someone else without a helmet. Since when did it become my job to suggest what's best for them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last December I went out to shoot pool with a friend. And when the pool hall closed we were going to go down the street to get something to eat so I threw my gear(helmet jacket gloves) in her car and was ready to go. Thankfully she wouldnt leave until IO put my brain bucket on and sure enough leaving the parking lot I got hit and pushed into the curb. If I hadnt had my lid on I wouldnt be writing this now. I dont ever go without anymore.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Always

I always wear a helmet - learned the hard way, kind of funny now though.

I was riding to school(senior high) one beautiful spring morning in 1967 - no helmet laws then - and a pigeon smacked me right in the chest. Flew right into me, with the combine speeds I thought it may have passed right through me. I didn't go down but I had to stop. I noticed it was a pigeon when I arrived at school. I took my jeans jacket off and the dead bird fell out.

From that day on I never rode with out my helmet.

Thunderheart - Charter Member of Geezers on Sportbikes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts