Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest thing you have actually hit and not crashed the bike?

This question was suggested by photobug. Thanks for a great suggestion!

I hit a chicken with my leg and didn't crash. ALMOST hit a construction barrel the other day, but managed to swerve around it as the wind blew it right out in front of me. Ugh! :eek:

------------------
Stacia
Administrator
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

[This message has been edited by Luv2RideFast (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
birds, two. one in my leg, one with my helmet. big headache.

largest thing i almost hit was a 2000 929 on saturday that was sliding down the track in my way.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
A deer which was left laying in the road (I-474 around Peoria Illinois). I drove over the neck and was airborne on my Kaw Z1. Landed on my wheels. The only damage was the side panel from getting kicked by my boot.
A pickup was pulling into my lane, then swerved at the last minute. I then knew why....

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hit a deer on IH-10 in San Antonio one night. I was riding home from work and the thing just walked out in front of me. Luckily, they grow 'em small in Texas so I didn't fall off. The deer went skidding onto the shoulder, then got up and limped away.

If I had had time to react I would have hit the brakes and compressed the forks, and gone over the handlebars. As it was, the forks absorbed most of the impact. I has sore shoulders and arms for a few days from hanging on, but no injuries. The bike sustained a dented horn from the triple clamp hitting it.

That was a close one.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

S

·
0 Posts
170 mph :D

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hit a log about as big around as a volleyball that fell out of the back of a truck in front of me. I was riding my 83 Interceptor (back in my high school days) I tugged on the bars and somehow managed to ride over it without wrecking. I was doing about 60mph. I still don't know how I made it

------------------
poverty sucks!!! and winter
Landon
92 viffer
www.vfr.sportbikeworld.com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Largest thing I hit recently was a traffic cone. Just brushed it and I was going at slow speed in a parking lot, so it didn't cause any problems. Have run over some small road kill, but usually manage to avoid it thankfully.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
425 Posts
In aug 97,I was travelling down the #1 in northern California on my `92GSXR1100 to visit some friends in Santa Rosa.In the distance I see a bird eating road kill and think its a crow,no big deal,it`ll fly off when I get closer.Well, I`m closing rapidly on this bird and notice that its bigger than a crow and its not leaving its meal,I get about a couple bike lengths away at which point it decides to take off.It gets about a foot off the road and has at least a 4ft wingspan when I hear a WHACK on my lower right fairing,I look in the mirror and all I see are feathers.I thought I killed a bald eagle and was looking around to make sure no one saw what I hit but later found out that it was a buzzard.No damage to the bike and was able to keep it upright.

------------------

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hit an 75 to 100 pound Golden Retriever in 1995 on my 1987 Concours. It did about $750 in damage but I didn't go down. The entire right side plastic had to be replaced. The dog ran into me on the frame just in front of the engine. The bike wobble a little and went on the plastic just exploded everywhere.

------------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
170 mph :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good one !

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
328 Posts
David Sadowski -- twice in the same year! Neither of us went down either time, fortunately...

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I once ran over a queen size mattress while riding down the interstate. (I know it was a queen size becuase after I ran over it I went back and moved it off the road so some other poor guy would not run over it).

To this day I have no idea how I kept my bike on two wheels, and no damage to the bike!

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Taking a left turn at about 20 mph and a pickup jumps his stop sign. I stand the bike up and powerwheelied onto the curb. I stopped and looked over my shoulder, as he was taking off. Rear rim had a tiny dent on both sides.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I was heading home one night (on my EX) and ran over a utility hole cover some dip$hit left half open. I bent both rims and sent the bike into a violent wobble. I somwhow managed to get the bike stopped and safe, whew! After I thought about it, I should have laid the thing down right after stopping it...can somebody say lawsuit. Oh well too much adrenaline at the time I wasn't thinking straight.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Orange cone and Indy car tires

Orange construction cone
Not the biggest, but it was a powerful hit, going into turn one at Loudon a little to hot, so I went for the escape route around Nascar turns 1 and 2, hitting one of the cone on the way in. Sent the cone flying in the air, pulled the bars hard as I hit it, and after the race, I found I put a nasty crack in my front fender. Damn target fixation.....

Indy car tires,
I dont remember why, but turn 12 at loudon was modified, (puddles, tornup pavement ????) using indy car tires, cliped it with my need, no damage to the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Squid admission

Uh oh, I'm going to be forced to admit some squid tendencies on this one....

I once hit a "slow down, construction ahead" sign.

It's not something I'm proud of, but hey, what's done is done. I was flying up a hill of a 4 lane road, overtaking a massive 18 wheeler who was in the left lane, as I crested the hill this sign popped up in my lane. I was doing about 140 - 150 km/h and just didn't have enough room between the truck and the sign to avoid it completely.

I suck in my breath and did one of those "squiggle" moves to try and finesse my way through.... and was rewarded with a SMACK! As my right signal light and right mirror clipped the sign, this shattered the right side faring, but I had so much momentum that I took out the 2 * 4 that was supporting the sign too.

Mostly due to embarrassment I kept going, made a couple of turns down some side streets then got off to inspect the damage. Ok, there you have it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A couple of months ago I was overtaking a truck at night and what should I suddenly pick out of the blackness? It was a nasty little possum. I was only doing about 120k's but the pesky little thing put a nice dent in my front wheel! Grrrrrrrr.

But you get that sometimes ...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts