Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you custom paint your bike?

If I had some extra cash and was tired of my paint scheme, I would in a heartbeat. I think a custom paint job is neat.

S

·
0 Posts
Luv2RideFast said:
Would you custom paint your bike?

If I had some extra cash and was tired of my paint scheme, I would in a heartbeat. I think a custom paint job is neat.

You'd be surprised how 3 cans of spray paint and 12 beer make your bike look awesome.

Only if it was a race bike.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You'd be surprised how 3 cans of spray paint and 12 beer make your bike look awesome
LMAO :D

We've seen a few of those posted here over time. I also like the bikes that folks glue fake fur on :barf: (however, my 6 year old daughter thought one looked "cuddly")

My wife has suggested that this winter I should have my bike painted to macth the 9-11-01 Memorial helmet I had done.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
I think that would be a great tribute, but it'd get kinda "Eviel Kneivel" after a while, you know what I mean? However, I've been looking for a flag decal to put on the back of my helmet, and can't seem to find one around town that's the right size. Any suggestions?

ed

·
Registered
560 Posts
but it'd get kinda "Eviel Kneivel" after a while,
Good point and I don't want to start bouncing off the pavement the way he did either!

Flag Decals: the tough part is that the curvature of the helmet makes it difficult to get a vinyl sticker to set well. (apparently you can use a blow dryer to shrink 'em smooth) You might check with a hobby shop for some wet-set model decals, they tend to set well on smooth curved surfaces like your helmet. After they dry, hit it with a shot of clearcoat and you're all set.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wouldn't go with a custom paint job...

High performance mods, all the way.

But if I REALLY had some extra cash, then I would. Make sense? Good!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well, I gotta repaint my bike anyway, since all my fairings are stitched back together with ABS glue. By the way, a lot of people doubted that would work, but for fractured fairings, standard ABS glue works very well. Sand off the paint around the crack, smear it up with abs glue, hold it firmly together till it sets (10 minutes or so). Sand it smooth, a little filler putty, and touch up paint, and your done.

I'm thinking about redoing mine in a custom mixed Kawasaki green. Metallic, with Pearl clear coat. Then Chameleon flames. Also, gonna paint a helmet to match. Any opinions on that paint job?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What? And tarnish the Ducati reputation by going with anything other than red or yellow? Blasphemy! No way, I wouldn't even consider it! Not only that, but it'll hurt the re-sale value of the bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I guess this is a side topic.

On Flags. I found some on line at www.safetystore.com. They are reflective and glow in the dark. They have kind of a honeycomb texture which enable them to stick to curved surfaces pretty well. I've had one one my helmet for about 2 weeks and it still looks secure. They are 2" x 4".

·
Registered
296 Posts
Almost all of my bikes have had or recieved a custom paint job after or before my owning them. Even my 'Busa is custom now, and I've only had it for 6 weeks.

So, in answer to your question.....NO, I WOULD NEVER CUSTOM PAINT MY MOTORCYCLE!!!:twofinger

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well since I don't live in any of the Europe areas where they have billions of different factory colors to choose from, I end up cutom painting my bikes. As far as lowering the resale value, I've sold both my old bikes back to dealerships for not much less than what I purchased them for origianally?

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Tahoe, that helmet is COOL!! I think that look is timeless and wouldn't worry about the Evel Kneival stuff. Wish I had a helmet that looked like that!:D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts