Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
What is the most important riding lesson you have learned?

This question was contributed by photobug. Thanks for the great question!

I have learned SO many important lessons about riding, so I'll just pick the one that sticks out in my mind the most.

You go where you look. I learned this when my MSF instructor was guiding me through some maneuvers and I was looking at him and almost hit him! They had told us if we look at things, we will hit them, but it didn't really hit home until that happened.

And I'm still learning to this day. Each time something out of the ordinary happens to me on the bike, I try to learn from it. :)

------------------
Stacia
Administrator
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the most important lesson--gee, so many.

i think the 12 second rule (looking 12 seconds ahead) is a big one.

then there's one i learned yesterday--"ride your own race, if you're faster, you'll get around them".

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'd have to go with "You go where you look". Only within the last 6 months have I truly learned to trust my peripheral vision enough to keep looking in the direction I want to go. I found it a little unnerving to be going through a corner, and looking about 100ft or more ahead and to the right or left of where I am....in a car, you tend to focus directly in front of you, and that was pretty well emblazened in my head.

Now...it's becoming second nature even in the car to look where I'm going not where I'm at.

W-

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Target fixation re-infornced yet again.
Look where you want to go not at want you
don't want to hit!!! Still learning this
one after ten years - it's too easy to look
at the wrong thing and it only takes 1 second to get into trouble. It seems to take
some serious mental discipline to LEARN this
and track time wouldn't hurt either.

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Leave a safe following distance when behind a car--especially if it's your wife ahead of you :eek: . You never know when a big piece of shag might be headed your way.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
405 Posts
Always wear proper riding gear cause you never know when you will go down.

Also ride your own pace cause trying to keep up with others that are faster then you is when accidents can happen.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keep those eyeballs movin around all the time. Continuously scan the road ahead. S.I.P.D.E.

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Cars and cell phones are there to kill you. :eek:

And the one Ratsalad said. :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't Panic!

Motorcycles are inherently stable. It's the riders who make them go down most of the time. (Does this sound like Keith Code? It should.)

I remember the first time I did a two-wheel drift on a street bike. I was going through a corner on Highway 16 between Medina and Kerrvile, Texas. I had the bike leaned over farther than I ever had in that corner, and as I rolled on the throttle I felt both tires start sliding. Before I could react (betchya never knew slow reflexes could be an asset) the tires gained traction and I was set up perfectly for the next corner. It was a lot of fun, but I was always a bit slower in that corner.

The lesson I learned is to trust the bike and not do anything to upset it in a corner. When it doubt, gas it and go.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
192 Posts
The most important lesson is that it is all right being paranoid when you ride. Car drivers are out to hurt you, whether they mean to or not. Be very careful or it will be another case of evolution in action...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
525 Posts
Keep your elbows bent and down, makes for much faster evasive manuevers...and of course, look well ahead.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Attention. I pay more attention to the road, it's conditions, the other vehicles, and possible situations that may occur. Never got into an accident before I started riding, but now I have avoided several in my car and usually can guess (80%-90% of the time) what another vehicles or situations will result in and be ready ahead of time to avoid.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've gotta go with "Dont Panic Lock!" When you come into a turn a little too hot or realize that its sharper than you thought, dont nut up and end up going straight or nailing the brakes, just relax and LEAN! :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
137 Posts
Target fixation, is a biggie. But as this has been mentioned a few times I'm going to say, watching your rear when you slow or stop, I've had to gas it a couple of times as a cage comes screeching down the road at me. :)

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luv2RideFast:
What is the most important riding lesson you have learned?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How to miss my boots when I stop and lean over to spit Copenhagen juice.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

1 - 20 of 132 Posts