Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to jump start this forum now that things have calmed down in my life, so if anyone has any questions they'd liked to see posted, please e-mail them to me at: Luv2RideFast and I'll get them posted. :)

For this week's question: What kind of tires are your favorites and why?

I'm not really sure yet. I like my current BT010s but I'm gonna try 207s next. So far, I do like the BT010s better than the stock Michelins that came on the bike (and they were NOT pilots).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I seem to like the 207s the best, but Im going to try the B010s next on the ZX9 and the B020s on the VFR, I dont like the 204s it came with much.

(glad to hear things are mellowing for ya :) )

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I haven't much to campare them to but the 207's are freakin awesome for this pretty fast street guy. They are also practically free here in the San Bernardino area (Chapparel has a showroom here and full service shop, front~$80, rear~100 and $16 to mount and balance each). I've ridden my friends zx-11 with bridgestones and didn't care for them (squirmed a lot making traction a concern) but on the other hand he runs higher pressures (mid to upper 30's) and the rear is the dual compound and obviously not their ultra sport tire. Ran into a guy on Angeles Crest the other day running 208's who said he's switching back to 207's for street riding. His opinion was that they certainly offer more grip but the stiff sidewalls made the ride pretty harsh on the street. After seeing him ride he's definitely good so that's why I'm passing on a second hand opinion.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've always run D207's, but I switched to 208 GP's. I'll never go back. Well, if moneys was tight and I couldn't run 208's I would only use 207's.

·
Registered
169 Posts
By far my favorite tires are the round ones.:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I must say I am quite fond of Pilot sports. All grip & no drama. Not sure that I'd recommend them for cooler climates though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For all around use I would say 207ZR squeaks out a victory over the BT010. For those rides where wet and cold are not a concern nothing else I've tried (which isn't much else) compares to the Rennsports I'm running now. They've been great until the temps dipped into the 40's and even lower. They're pretty entertaining when it's that cold.:eek: Kind of like a built in throttle control drill. Seriously, they wear very reasonably for what they are, they warm quickly in decent weather, and they track unbelievably well. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My favorite tire depends on which bike I'm riding, and where.

When I'm riding my F3 on the track I like the Pirelli Corsa race tires best. I've tried Bridgestone BT010s and Dunlop 207ZRs on it also, and they're both excellent tires. The Pirellis give me better front end feedback, and are far more planted in fast corners, especially Turn 1 at Thunderhill.

When I'm riding my Triumph on the street I like the 207ZRs. The stock BT020s are quite good, but the profile of the 207s makes it easier to turn in, which is important on a realitively heavy bike with a long wheelbase. On the track I like 207GPs in the Triumph for the same reason. The Triumph also has better front end feel than the F3 :eek: so the Dunlops make a good fit for it. I'll try Pirellis on the Triumph next year and see how they work, but I suspect the Dunlops are a better tire for the Triumph.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just put on a set of Metzler Rennsport take offs. I'm VERY impressed. The handling is so neutral. Very comfortable. When braking at high lean agles, they don't snap you upright, just a gentle upward pressure. I haven't pushed them yet to find a traction limit. I suspect I'm gonna have a hard time finding it on the street.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
krazy_f4_rider said:
without doubt the best tires for street (since i don't ride on the track) is the DUNLOP 207 and the cheapest if you know where to look.
K...I have a problem with this statement..how on earth can you say the 207's...or any tire for that matter is THE best...and who cares about being cheap, when they are the ONLY things between you and the asphault..??????:rolleyes:

Lets get real here, riding bikes is expensive..and yeah tires cost, get the cheapest ya can find..the ones that are out of round, have been sitting in a warehouse for a yr....ect..

Yur riding habits/style will/shoud dictate what tire works best for you...comuter..harder compound/less grip..canyon carver..more GRIP..rear is usually shot in 2k mi or so..they will also turn/grip and take bumps in different ways..example...I know a real fast rider that loves BT56ss..ask most riders that do canyons/track days..and they will puke at the mention of BT56ss..some swear by 207's or 208's and that's fine..recently, the Rennsports have been getting great reviews form club racers to canyon carvers, over in the land of OZ..Pilot's are concidered the tires of choice..So unless yur statement was in jest..I suggest you research a tad before making statments like the above one..

Just FYI..I've had 207's, I currently have Pilot's ..my next set will be Suppercorsa's..same as the Rennsports, different tread pattern..didn't care for the 207's, the Pilots are O.K...I rode a bike with the Supercorsa's and can say they are an excellent tire, as are most tire for their intended use....:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
alright hammer now that you have your panties in a wad over the 207's...i am pretty sure the subject is "what is YOUR favorite tire"
so i am pretty sure that my statement was quite ok...but no hard feelings --k--
;)

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
krazy_f4_rider said:
alright hammer now that you have your panties in a wad over the 207's...i am pretty sure the subject is "what is YOUR favorite tire"
so i am pretty sure that my statement was quite ok...but no hard feelings --k--
;)
Wasn't about the 207's...read yur post..it was about yur statement....."without a doubt the best tires for the street is the".........

Does that quailfiy as my favorite tires..??...:D

Plus I like my panties just the way they are ..thank you very much...:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I know this is kinda late..but..I've had the Supercorsa's on for awhile now, both on the street, and 3 track dayz..SC2 in frt.(soft race) and the hard race in the rear..granted the ride is a tad harsh on the road..but they do give good feedback, ah they grip..so..now these are my faves..:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
My favs are my Pirelli Corsas also, only downside is they were down as fast as a pencil eraser!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts