Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the worst road debris you have ever seen or heard of someone hitting on a motorcycle?

My MSF instructor had a work truck in front of him and a ladder fell off the back. He ran right over it on his bike and somehow managed not to crash.

------------------
Stacia
Administrator
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I guess it isn't really road debris before but afterwards it was. A fellow around here had a 1998, I believe, silver edition limited production Ducati 900SS. He was out riding a month ago when he T-boned a deer. The bike was totaled, he was all but totaled, and the deer was road kill after the two met. He ended up with a shattered arm, a concussion, a fractured skull and about 30 pounds of venison. He said IF he gets another bike it will be a cruiser.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Worst road debris?

Would have to be a silver and red f4, was on its side, right in front of me. I was lucky tho, it was sliding in the same direction and at the same speed as I was traveling. It went in the ditch and I went on around the curve. Whew....

------------------
TJ
'98 SuperHawk - no longer scuffed
"Are straight roads good for anything? Yes, they get you to the next curve."

[This message has been edited by s-hawk (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s-hawk:
Worst road debris?

Would have to be a silver and red f4, was on its side, right in front of me. I was lucky tho, it was sliding in the same direction and at the same speed as I was traveling. It went in the ditch and I went on around the curve. Whew....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tee,

You beat me to that one. :D :p

I also had a red/white/black YZF do the same thing to me after it impacted a deer. ;)

I had a friend hit a 4x4 once. :eek:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
380 Posts
Worst thing I've ever hit was a chunk of dead tree in the road. Hit it with the front tire, did a crossed-up wheelie like Jeremy McGrath, but came down fine. I've heard the deer stories and car stories, but I haven't heard any other terrible road debris stories.
I had a kiddie swimming pool fly off the roof of some guy's Explorer right at my head. That would've been interesting if I hadn't seen it.

------------------
j.-
it's all in the reflexes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The worst thing I ever hit was just last week on the way to work. There is a stretch of rural road about 2 miles that ends with a long right hand sweeper that, if traffic allows, I try to hit at about 90 mph to get the morning thrill. Well the other morning I went through at a modest 60 or so, and right at the end of the turn just as I was getting vertical again there was a bed frame rail, the brown ones with the wheels that fold up, laying in my path. I had no time to react and I had to hit it. It was laying long ways so I had to ride the length of it while still slightly leaned over. The tires jumped out and I got pretty wobbly. It scared the livin sh*t out of me. That day I went home, sold my bike and vowed NEVER to ride again! Now I take the bus. :) :) :)

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

·
Registered
79 Posts
I almost lost it on a salad! It was late at night and i was doing about 50km/h and getting ready to turn right. I was planning on making the corner at that speed. This is in the city and a 90 degree corner. Some car was making a left at same street i was turning into. so i slowed down to 30 km/h and started going over to the right lane. I seen wet boxes on the road and thought nothing of it. As i got to the corner i noticed that there was alot of mashed up lettuce and some tomatoes on the road. The ass end was going side to side 3-4 inches and the front cutting out from under me. :eek: I was thinking how the F**k do i tell people i dropped my bike at 30km/h cuz of lettuce and tomatoes? :eek: No cars beside me or id bump into them 4 sure. Didnt drop it :)

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

[This message has been edited by TheToy (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Squid
813 Posts
It's really small, but I'd have to say in the desert that sand is the worst and most common debris on the road. It can sneak up on you and pull the bike out from under you faster than you can say whippersnapper if not noticed before you roll up on it. That darn granular crap is like black ice, you cant see it if it's spread thin enough on some of these bleached out roads.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
"Quicker en whippersnapper?"
hehehehehehehehehe

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Like funksouljon's story, this one invloves a deer that wasn't road debris until after the crash.

One of my friends used to have a habit of riding after work in the Texas Hill Country. One evening between Ingram and Hunt on Highway 39 he crested a hill at well over 100 mph and T-boned a deer standing in the road. He went right through the deer, and did not crash. The impact bent his forks about three inches, and he had deer hair and various deer parts all over his bike.

He managed to ride it home, parked it, and quit riding. He figured he should have died and he wasn't going to push his luck any further.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by photobug:
Like funksouljon's story, this one invloves a deer that wasn't road debris until after the crash.

One of my friends used to have a habit of riding after work in the Texas Hill Country. One evening between Ingram and Hunt on Highway 39 he crested a hill at well over 100 mph and T-boned a deer standing in the road. He went right through the deer, and did not crash. The impact bent his forks about three inches, and he had deer hair and various deer parts all over his bike.

He managed to ride it home, parked it, and quit riding. He figured he should have died and he wasn't going to push his luck any further.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAMN!!! :eek:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I once ran over a queen sized mattress on the freeway at about 80mph. I have no clue how I saved it.... And I was alone so no witnesses to tell me what I looked like.

I did go back and move the mattress off to the side of the road.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
A piece of 4X4 from a truck's shoring blocks. A good reason not to tailgate if at all possible. The thing "appeared" from underneath a car in front of me in heavy interstate traffic that did not allow a safe following distance.

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts