Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you wash your bike? Is it always clean? What do you clean it with?

I have never "washed" my bike. I do clean it with Honda cleaner on a pretty regular basis, especially after being out in the rain. I like my bike to be clean and it seems like I'm always trying to scrub bugs off the front. I hate doing the wheels. :mad: I'd say I probably shine mine at least once every 2 weeks and more if I'm riding lots.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wash my bike just like I wash my car--with a bucket and a sponge. On average the bike gets a bath about every 2-3 weeks. I am not really picky about how it looks, but more about how it runs. :)

About every other wash job, I wax it with Nu-Finish car wax.

------------------
John E. Dawson
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wash my bike every time that I feel it is dirty - about every 2 weeks. I use a bucket and sponge. To clean the wheels, I use Simple Green and just spray first and then wash the whole bike and then just wipe the wheels clean. Very easy and very simple.
I have a spray bottle filled with water, in the garage, and every day when I get home I spray the front end down and wipe the bugs off the lights, fairing, helmet and windscreen.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I clean my Bike after every ride. That way every time I ride it, it looks nice. If I get caught in the rain I will use a hose, bucket of water/Car Cleaner Soap (Kit Carnauba Wash and Wax) mix and wash the extra dirty places, then use the Honda Cleaner. If it's real dusty and has a lot of road grim I use a cotton cloth, bucket of water/Car Cleaner Soap mix and wipe it off by hand, then use the Honda Cleaner. On rides that doesn't accumulate to much road debri, I just use the Honda Cleaner. I will take a cotton towel, wet it good and clean under the fenders too, by placing the towel between the fenders and tires and rotating. I wax it about every 2 weeks with Meguiar's Gold Class. I have the pit bull track stands and put the Bike on them after every ride, that makes the Wheels and Tires very easy to clean. I usually spend more time cleaning than riding it seems. At my, no more than 1000 mile oil changes, while the fairing is off, I clean everything underneath and inside the fairings at that time. When using the Honda Cleaner or waxing, I always use a fresh clean cotton Diaper rotating to a clean area often. To me, it's fun doing anything with my Bike.
It just gives me great pleasure to be on a "Clean Machine"!

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does taking a towell outside and wiping it off if it is raining count? If so, then yeah I wash my bike, If not, then I might have washed my bike twice in the last year. I do clean the chain before I lube it.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wash and wax my bike regularly, usually once a week. I ride to work everyday and since I'm there for 24-hour shifts, I've got plenty of time. I use a synthetic sheepskin-like chamois to wash it and then put at least two coats of Maguire's Gold Class wax on it. So tell me, am I being anal?

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

·
Registered
36 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by colin409:
I think wiping it of after a rain storm does count. :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Woooooooo Hoooooooo. :D

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will wipe it off after it rains as well. I also try to keep it as clean as I can, but never manage to do a great job... :eek: I do try to keep the paint up and tend to wax it every couple of weeks or so.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List

·
Registered
263 Posts
My bike is spotless. When I got my bike it was in as many pecies it could be in before puting it back together I cleand every part inside and out it with a dental pic and a tooth brush. I wash it after every other ride ,and I polish the crome after every ride.

------------------
Kyle M. m/15 cb350
Noblesville,IN
"So many cats so few recipes"

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok it may rain here in seattle ONCE in a while, but I'll tell ya one thing that is nice, that is the LACK of bugs :D but when i do clean it, it's like the car, wash it down, simple green on the wheels, swing arm, etc. and i keep a really good coat of wax on it.

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Registered
288 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by obxninja:
I am not really picky about how it looks, but more about how it runs. :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

------------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bike HAS to be clean !!

Soap and water, then a little Honda cleaner for any grease or tar spots.

Hey Rug Burn- should i put 'armour all' on the hand grips as well as the tires ? :confused:

------------------
Barron
2000 vfr800

Owning things is highly overrated !!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
its pointless to wash it.. its a bug magnet & the white wheels are dirty by the time i get home from the car wash.. yup the car wash. i soak my bike then bust out the green scrubby pads & dawn "gets the grease out" dish soap... works like magic. then i rinse.. park it in the sun while i wipe everything down & go home. about 3 times a year... i dont really care how it looks asthetically.. i care how I look going around a corner or lofting the front wheel.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i have never once washed the gsxr is 4 months of ownership. one a month (maybe a little more) i use the honda polish on it. the bike is usually pretty clean.

the fzr hasn't been washed since september and i'm afraid the honda polish will pull off the krylon. :)

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by showdawg:

The bike HAS to be clean !!

Soap and water, then a little Honda cleaner for any grease or tar spots.

Hey Rug Burn- should i put 'armour all' on the hand grips as well as the tires ? :confused:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell yeah my friend, and a double coat on the seat LOL.

I clean the bike every few weeks too and wipe it down as needed. My biggest thing is keeping the tank well waxed. I just have a tank protector pad (don't want to cover that paint job up with a tank cover-which will scratch the paint anyway).

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wash my bike pretty often. Unfortunately I don't have a garage, so it is always outside with a cover on it. I give it the works. Car wash, cleaners, polish, wax, chamois dry... It can be a real pain taking off the seat to get the bra off, I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Anyways, I just think part of the fun in owning a nice ride is maintaining it well. Be it for performance or looks.
Mark

------------------
BOHICA

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I clean her every Saturday so my baby will be ready to go on Sunday. :D :D

My bike has NEVER been washed with water. I used to clean my F3 with water and she rusted. :mad:
When I had my jet kit installed I stopped at Honda just in time to save her. They always wash your bike after they do any work.
I asked him if he was going to use that bucket of water and he just looked at me and said "duh, thats how you clean them" with this stupid look on his face. Glad my bike has only been to the shop that once.

I use Novus Polish # 1. It's a spray wax.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited August 15, 2000).]

G

·
I'd wash my bike more often, but cleaning that fur is a real pain in the neck. I do wipe off the neon light tubes pretty regularly, though; gotta keep 'em shining bright.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts