Sportbike World banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like to ride alone most of the time. I think my bike is the perfect escape from everything. No phone, no radio, and no backseat drivers. :)

Maybe I like riding alone because I have done very little group riding. Perhaps if I found the right group it could be a lot of fun.

------------------
John E. Dawson
'87 Ninja 600R
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like group rides, as long as the group is riding sensible. Now don't get me wrong, I love hauling arse, but not all of the time. Some rides should be sensible. Riding with other people is a blast. I would much rather ride with people than by myself.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would say 90% is by myself. On occasion my wife will be a pillion; more often my son will ride passenger with me. But I have been riding alone most of the time. There is a group that rides around here; a good mix of sportbikes and others. Trouble is they usually ride long distances and/or full weekend days. I have the family to take care of and my priority is them, so I rarely see them either.

Got to agree about the cruiser groups. If you don't ride a cruiser they don't seem to see you. Now is the group ride season on Long Island. Most are Harley or metric cruiser runs. Not many sportbikes at all.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List

·
Registered
560 Posts
Solo, 99%.
Sunday evening rides around Lake Tahoe put everything right in the world.

Midweek is usually an escape from the office into town. Too many unpredictable riders, so I choose to stay solo. Squids go fast 'n foolish, cruisers don't like mountain roads.

Ride in peace.
Kevin

------------------
Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I ride about 90% of the time alone. I prefer riding with friends, though. I have a good groupr to ride with: three other guys, a '99R1, '98 ZX-7, and a '00 Gixxer 750. They are great guys, and we have ridden together enough that we can predict each others' moves. We ride pretty fast, but none of us ever does anything reckless (the guy on the Gixxer does a bad pass on a car now and again, but the rest of us never follow, so I think he is getting the message, and learning the difference between a good, and bad, pass), as we are all in out early 30s, and somewhat responsible individuals.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
93 Posts
G'day all,
90% of the time I ride alone and take the consequences of my conduct as a result, if I ride slow ( and this is purely personal ) I tend to not pay the attention as I should to my riding and surrounding traffic and this can be deadly! ( funny my 9 doesn't handle like my dirt bike in the rough ).

On the small number of times I have ridden in a group I prefer to stay at the back and let them go rather than get tangled up in someone elses insanity to race me at every turn.

Wish my wife would come with me some times but her ride has legs and 4 at that her reluctance could also have something to do with she knows me to well.

:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I go Both Ways!!

There are points to each. I like to get away on my own and blast to Payson every so often, but taking along a bunch of friends lightens up the day. A couple other people have pointed out the benefits of a nice sized familiar group. My crew of choice knows my lines and abilities so we dice a little and enjoy every last corner. The best part about having a group is your visible to cars.

Don't crash, cuz that fun group turns into witnesses.... :angry:

·
Registered
74 Posts
the key

I think the key to a successful group ride is know who your riding with. I've been in groups where I was very uncomfortable because of the squid-like activities occuring all around me, but I've been in groups where we all knew eachother and it was a blast. Solo is a nice reliever from everyday crap...But my favorite is when my best friend and I get out our bikes and just cruise around all day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I prefer to ride with one other rider in a loose formation. Prefer someone with similar ability for conditions. Reason: If I loose it and go off a cliff I want someone to know where I am and can get help. I do not mind pairing up with others (same 2 rider groups, 3 groups of 2) for maybe 6 total. Anything more is a cluster ..ck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So far I like being the Lone Ranger..........nobody else to get in the way and being able to crank it up when ever i feel like it is great. I have ocasionally ridden with one other rider, but he is out in front doing his favorite things like wheelies. There is a nice feeling of freedom when riding alone, and remember all eyes are on you and only you if you have a sharp looking bike! Wonder if that means Im a seperatist!?!?!?! Maybe I just havent met the right group yet.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Never tried the group thing yet, have always ridden alone. At times riding alone can be boring so I may try ridng with one or two others just to see. Big time large group riding gets alot of attention especially from our friends at ticket central. So ride well and safe.:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
usually ride alone. a group of us used to race our bikes at the drag races (legal strip) and then about 10 of us would go riding after that. groups that large attract attention but we did have fun. I feel safer in a smaller group3-4 bikes.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
blackkaw said:
I feel safer in a smaller group3-4 bikes.
I would imagine all those bikers at Deal's Gap that I read on many posts that were getting tickets were probably riding in large groups. Therefore, attracting lots of attention. Riding in a smaller group, 3-4 bikes I would think is alot safer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have to ride alone unless I want to ride with the Harley crowd. To ride with a bunch of Harleys is like not riding at all. A Harley 'ride' is all about stopping. It's the most frustrating thing imaginable. You meet at a Waffle House at 9:00am. Then you leave there at about 10:00 and immediately pull unto the first gas station. After filling up and smoking a dozen cigarettes and talking about wonderful their Harleys are, they finally pull out at about 10:45. Go about 5 miles and pull over in a abandoned gas station to tighten up loose parts and talk some more about how wonderful their Harleys are. It’s now about 11:30 and we've gone almost 6 miles. I can't stand it "See you guys later, I'm going for a ride"

·
Registered
182 Posts
Motorcycle Boy was dumbfounded to hear that people rode motorcycles in groups.
Just ride, and don't stop until you get to the ocean.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ride alone no More

DaveL said:
I have to ride alone unless I want to ride with the Harley crowd. To ride with a bunch of Harleys is like not riding at all. A Harley 'ride' is all about stopping. It's the most frustrating thing imaginable. You meet at a Waffle House at 9:00am. Then you leave there at about 10:00 and immediately pull unto the first gas station. After filling up and smoking a dozen cigarettes and talking about wonderful their Harleys are, they finally pull out at about 10:45. Go about 5 miles and pull over in a abandoned gas station to tighten up loose parts and talk some more about how wonderful their Harleys are. It’s now about 11:30 and we've gone almost 6 miles. I can't stand it "See you guys later, I'm going for a ride"
Dave,

I know about all the Harley riders in GA. I live west of Atlanta in Douglas County. I generally ride alone, not enough sportbikers in ATL. Shoot me an e-mail or pm me. Let us see about coming up with a joint ride. Solitary riding can be about as bad as riding with Harleys, let me know.

ga_skyline_rydr

·
Registered
99 Posts
DaveL said:
You're cracking me up ! But that is about it with the Harley folks here in the Atlanta Georgia area !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
DaveL said:
I have to ride alone unless I want to ride with the Harley crowd. To ride with a bunch of Harleys is like not riding at all. A Harley 'ride' is all about stopping. It's the most frustrating thing imaginable. You meet at a Waffle House at 9:00am. "
Here in Florida for a Harley "rider" (HAHAHA) drinking and posing
are primary and riding(only way to get from bar to bar) is secondary. On sunday every marina or fish camp with a bar and grill is lined with Harleys. They have no choice but to ride in groups due to the frequent breakdowns they experience and being sh-t faced from all the bar stops.:barf:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts