Sportbike World banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
best racers ever?

Kenny Roberts - talented and relentless, watching was always a thrill

Mick Doohan - talented and more guts than any man should have, the poor guy could barely walk to the bike and still won

Kevin Schwantz - just pure talent, I saw him get pitched up and off the bike at the Transatlantic Match Races once, cling to the bars and the side of the bike, clamber back into the saddle with the bike never stopping and win. I thought at the time, "how can you beat a kid too dumb to know he fell off?" In his early career he had two speeds...blazingly quick and crashing.

Rainey & Lawson - the consumate pros....smooth and sneaky fast...they made it look easy. Lawson especially is my model of what a professional racer should be.

Rossi - it's spooky how fast he is and switching bikes hasn't slowed him down a lot.

But the ultimate racing acheivement?

Mike Hailwood coming out of retirement after a decade off where he missed the revolution in motorcycles and racing technology...coming to grips with the new bikes and WINNING the Isle of Man on the first try. Now that was genius.

·
Registered
22 Posts
AGOSTINI
no one will beat his wins except maybe rossi if he rides his ass off for the next ten years and doesn't get soft but even then it isn't fair as moto GP has many more races a year now.

Kenny Roberts
massive, wonderful, and just seemed like a nice guy.

Rainey & Swantz were both great too.

Doohan was good but did not have any real challengers at the time. this is also the problem with rossi, but the move to yamaha and still being able to have that many wins last season was amazing... rossi while maybe not the caliber of agostini or roberts will be rembered as the first legend of the 1000 cc moto gp era. Hell he young if luck is on his side he may have ten more years of moto gp ahead of him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Troy (Ballistic) Bayliss.

Not doing so well in MotoGP, but he sure used to ride the wheels of the Ducati in WSB days. The 2001 Laguna Seca WSB race where Baylisstic and the Texas Tornado fought it out is an all time classic; it was unbelievable to see the bikes stand up to that sort of punishment!

·
Registered
21 Posts
jewfzr said:
Wes Cooley AMA
First superbike champion I believe. And the cool name to boot.
actually Reg Pridmore won the first 3 championships, one on BMW and 2 on Kawasaki, then Wes won 2. was a cool name tho Pridmore leads the way as Mike Baldwin #43, Paul Ritter #96, Richard Schlacter #6 and Ron Pearce #97;)

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
It has to be the late great Joey Dunlop,he won road races all over the world,here is just a list of his Isle of Man TT wins.....

1977 Jubilee Classic
1980 Classic
1983 Formula One
1984 Formula One
1985 Formula One, Lightweight and Senior
1986 Formula One
1987 Formula One and Senior
1988 Formula One, Lightweight and Senior
1992 Ultra-Lightweight
1993 Ultra-Lightweight
1994 Lightweight and Ultra-Lightweight
1995 Lightweight and Senior
1996 Lightweight and Ultra-Lightweight
1997 Lightweight
1998 Lightweight
2000 Formula One, Lightweight and Ultra-Lightweight

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really like scott russel in the way he rode the kawasaki at daytona only he burned himself out to quick ..I am a honda fan myself yet Eddie lawson would have to be my favorite of all time.

He could ride any bike to the limit and try for more..I would like to see him ride a factory RC at daytona 200 he would make hayden
look like a kid on a scooter..

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of my favorite riders were Carl Fogarty and Kevin Schwantz . i saw them both at Donnington for the GP in 1991. it was Foggy's first GP and he also had a Norton. that bike sounded awesome compared to the two strokes. Foggy crashed right infont of me. Kevin won for the third time in a row followed by Wayne Rainey. i still have the pics in my photo album.

my top 5 riders i liked are,

Joey Dunlop

Carl Fogarty

Kevin Schwantz

Wayne Rainey

Mick Doohan

a shout out for Niall McKenzie also.

the late 80' and early 90's had the best racing there has been.

·
Registered
352 Posts
favorite "back in the day rider", Kenny Roberts all the way for refining the knee draging riding style and incorporating that dirt tracking sideways awesomeness.

favorite current rider, Ben Spies, hes my age and completely whopped ass this season in AMA ,elbowz out, and dethroned Matt Mladin.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts