Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you been to racing school? If so, which one and what were your likes and dislikes?

I have not been to racing school.........yet! Plan on doing it at some point but mainly to improve my riding skills.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have not been through a race school as I don`t have the balls to race.But I have taken the bike to a track day and been corner working for 10 years at bike races and race schools. "That which does not kill you,makes you stronger".

------------------

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I can afford it, I will be going to every track, race school, rider education school I can get my skinny little butt into. Till then I focus on learning more every time I go out on the street, getting the best protective equipment I can afford, and saving some dough for the future. I've heard nothing but positive reactions from those who've been , so I'm looking forward to it. My bike is fast enough as it is, what I try to improve every time out are my skills and continuing education can only help.

------------------
j.--
"get on the good foot-heh, good god"

·
Registered
503 Posts
been to the mra race school so i could get my license. i had to leave early on the friday night meeting so i probably missed some of the stuff i came to learn.. but overall i liked it. they seemed to focus on how to ride that particular track than how to ride in general but like i said i missed some stuff.

i am planning many more race schools.. national & local. i am one of the few that believe that rider technique is faster than mechanical upgrades... thus my bike is stock except for gearing & cosmetics & most of my money goes for maint, saftey gear, & education.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i have taken two, penguin and teampromotion's.

penguin runs two schools at the same time, beginner and advanced. while the advanced guys are the track, you sit in corners and watch the lead instructure (then eric wood, not sure now with his busy schedule) go through each section of the course. this is a big help in watching what the fast guys do.

dislikes--rain, k591's, loudon's turn 3 and pavement sealer (combined).

teampromotion's was run differently. they do a classroom and then watch you on the track later, no follow the leader stuff, since most people in their school are members who have done follow the leader with them before. they spoke a lot about racing in general. we discussed the basics. then glenn spent a lot of time discussing what to do at the races, where to focus your energy. when to grid, tire warmers and a lot of valuable information beyond, just techniques. it was a really well done class and i loved it. plus with tpm there track time and a half. inanima check out www.teampromotion.com you can get a lot of track time for little money. www.nesba.com is another source, but i don't think they have a race school, but their slow group does the same thing as a race school. cbr600f4gd posted something on it not too long ago, now he's in the expert group.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited July 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've done Kieth Code Level 1. I did a trackday previous to this and while the track day was fun and cool, taking the class took my riding to a new level. It teaches you SOOOO many things to make your riding more comfortable, safer, and faster.

It is NOT only a racing school. It is a riding school. If you can learn to ride around the track well, you'll do that much better when tooling about the streets.

Only dislike was there was 20 minutes of track, 20 minutes of classroom, and 20 minutes of sitting around picking your nose. The last of which got boring after I ran out of boogers.

------------------
- Dan

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
dan is it code's school where you ride around in fifth gear, no shifting no brakes?

everyone i've talked to who's done that school (where you don't shift, don't brake) loved it. they said they never learned so much in one day.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tony,

Yes, that's the one. I agree - "never learned so much in one day". In both the basic and experienced MSF classes they talked about countersteering and had us practice it. I thought I was cool shit cause I've shown twice that I have "mastered" it. I go into the Code class, they ask everyone to show them thier technique individually. I go out and come back and the instructor says, "uh... what was that?" Well, now I really know how, and my riding shows it.

In Level one you learn throttle control mostly and basic fluid control of the bike. I am so much more comfortable on the bike now. I don't feel like I am "working" the bike like I used to. There are 4 total levels of the class. All the details are at http://www.superbikeschool.com/

HIGHLY recommended.

------------------
- Dan

·
Registered
440 Posts
Haven't been to the schools yet, but I'm signed up for three in the next two months. One Keith Code day at the Streets of Willows, one Reg Pridmore class at the same venue, and a dP school at Laguna Seca. I see a comparison article coming on.

I'm also signed up for the Orientation Safety School at the Streets of Willows through Fastrack Riders, and a Club Desmo day at Laguna Seca. Oh yeah, and a couple of Doc Wong riding clinics in the Santa Cruz mountains.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts