Sportbike World banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:

And I have proven my theory; with a downshift and a throttle blip, I have twisted a few cager's necks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pete, it's not sound that turns so many heads, it's the fact that you wear chaps with nothing on underneathe :eek:

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cheetos:
LOUD PIPES DO NOT SAVE LIVES

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do too.

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Do too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Pete(even tho it appears he's fanning flames ;) ) I have a somewhat loud Honda Prelude (not buzzy either) that I rev in heavy traffic, it keeps th blue-hairs here in Florida awake!

It's saved me more than a few times.

Cam

------------------
It's Mind over matter... If I don't mind it don't matter!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm with rccheetosjohn on this. physics says that a loud pipe may keep someone from rear-ending you. maybe you guys can swing them forward and beat the laws of physics.

anyway, about five years ago i was driving down the highway at 70 or so in my car, with the air on and stereo playing. a 90'ish zx7, with a very loud pipe went blazing past. i heard him/her go after the pipe was past the door. those old pipes were much louder than today's quieter pipes.

loud pipes don't lives, good riding and education saves lives.

but this is battle we probably wanna avoid.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
pete, it's not sound that turns so many heads, it's the fact that you wear chaps with nothing on underneathe :eek:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife says there ain't much to see down there anyway. :D

------------------
Pete

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My wife says there ain't much to see down there anyway. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would've thought with a name like pete... :D

middle name richard?? harold? :eek:

sorry, i'm grabbing the medication now.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

P

·
0 Posts
Double indemnity - middle name is Pete, last name is Richard (pronounced ree-shawrd, Cajun French). Just call me Dick Dick.

------------------
Pete

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i once met a peter johnson (for real).

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 29, 2000).]

C

·
0 Posts
Hey DICK DICK,

I agree with you. You're not gonna fan these flames. Some situations, however few, loud pipes can help. Typically, I have seen it affective in parking lots.

I can't believe you haven't asked for the Aloe for that rearend after riding with nothing underneath the chaps. That has to be some funny tan lines. ;)

BTW, is that where the phrase "that chaps my ass" comes from? :D

Tony,

You're cracking(Dick Dick, no pun intended) me up. :D :p :D

RCcheetosJohn signing off. :p

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put an Micron carbon fiber can, along with a K & N filter and Factory jet kit on my 96 VFR. Not only did I lose 8 Lbs from stock, I got better throttle response and 6 Hp too boot. But wait theres more. It looks cool, and sounds great, like a small block chevy.

------------------
No matter where you go,
There you are.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The loud pipes save lives thing is bunk. All it does is scare somebody (which can be more dangerous) when you're at their window where it's already too late if they're coming. Be in control of your bike and surroundings for that one. I don't use them because it attracts all of the wrong kind of attention, sounds like you're going fast even if you're not, and drives me nuts on long rides which I do routinely. If you say it's the power you want, then just re-jet which is where most of the power is anyway. The exhausts on newer bikes are quite good stock. With a pipe, your ear will tell you it's running better but the dyno will prove otherwise, or at the very best prove only marginal gain. If you like how it sounds, looks, or just want it, then buy it but then admit that you did it for that reason and don't try to B.S. about it. I actually do like the sound but don't do it for the reasons stated. The thing I marvel at most is the bike with a can or full exhaust with the cords hanging out of the center of the tire. Spend the money on good maintenance and good tires and then see if you can wear the sides out before the center. After all, THAT'S riding.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dad (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
I put a slip-on on my R1 because of the look and sound. It saves a little weight too. I do know (through private dyno testing) that a good full system, when properly jetted, does add about 8-10 HP for the R1's, though, so there are still benefits to going full...especially if you get something like the Muzzy Titanium. It saves a LOT of weight and adds a lot of power. My R1 is primarily a street machine so I opted for the better midrange of the EXUP headers with the look and sound of my Two Brothers can. 131 RWHP is plenty enough for the street.

As far as the loud pipes save lives argument at hand, I have to say that loud pipes DO help. I think they are most useful when you're in the blind spot of a car (moving in the same direction as you, of course) in the adjacent lane. Unless they're deaf or have their stereo blasting, your pipe is audible enough even through rolled-up windows. I know this just from my own cage driving experience. There have been many times where the droning (or banging in the case of a H-D) of a loud exhaust has been the first indicator to me of a bikes presence in my proximity. Loud pipes do help. It only makes sense. The more senses you can get involved to make people aware of your presence the less invisible you will be.

BTW, my R1 IS rejetted and I didn't gain much from it. It helped smooth out the powerband and gave me a little more midrange. The 8-10 HP gain people have been getting are from the good full systems. You may lose some midrange, but don't let anyone tell you they don't add top-end power.

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

[This message has been edited by mashuri (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
468 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
i'm with rccheetosjohn on this. physics says that a loud pipe may keep someone from rear-ending you. maybe you guys can swing them forward and beat the laws of physics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

????????? What do you mean? People in front, and to the side, all hear loud pipes, not just the ones behind you. The day they make bikes that go faster than the speed of sound, you will be absolutely correct. Until then, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. That being said, I am still running the stock exhaust on my 929, since I haven't seen any aftermarket slip ons or 1/2 systems (I refuse to toss the H-TEV) that have been shown to give any substantial performance increase where I want it. Some of the aftermarket pipes give you a few ponies at the top end, which is nice on a track, but sacrifice the low end and midrange, which is where you spend 90% of your time on the street. Besides, I am starting to like the stealth aspect of the stock can. I had a Vance & Hines SS2R full system on my '95 CBR900RR, and even when I was riding at the speed limit, every cop within a half mile was looking around to see who was making the noise. Now, I can go right by a cop, and he won't even turn his head. This kinda supports the "loud pipes save lives" theory. If cages drivers know you are there, you are much safer. Loud pipes let them know that you are there.

------------------
Rossco.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts