Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about not posting a question last week. I was on vacation. :)

Speaking of vacation, this question was one I thought of while riding in the Deal's Gap area.

What types of curves do you like, tight hairpin types like in Deal's Gap or long sweepers like in the Cherohala Skyway? What makes you like that type curve better?

I definitely love the long sweepers better. Maybe because I'm better at them and I feel like I can really lay the bike over well in them. I really didn't care for the tight curves at first until I figured out to keep the bike in a lower gear so I'd have more control over speed with the throttle and have to do less braking.

I really can't complain about any curvy roads coming from flat ass, straight Florida, but I do like the sweepers better. As long as there are no chickens trying to cross them! :eek:

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
367 Posts
My favorite curves are tighter posted speed limit 30-35 mph, ones. I like to go double the posted speed limit thru all the curves and that is how I set up for each curve as my basis and then slow down or speed up from there. The long sweepers means carrying triple digit speeds and the Katana likes to wobble on them. Still trying to work that out. I hate 10-15 mph curves, especially on the Blue Ridge Parkway area when you come into the turn and you have to look up/down behind you to see where to go. Those are too tight for me :D

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcom back to the "real" world Stacia....I must say again how much I enjoyed riding with you at the gap!! Ok, for the question...

I really like both types, but I think I will have to agree with you. I do feel a bit more comfortable on the sweepers then the tight twisties. However, I've been on some roads where it has been a very happy medium where it isn't quite as extreme as the gap and have REALLY enjoyed it. I guess it just depends on the type of road. The Cherahala however is definately one of my all time favorite rides!!

You will just have to come back out here and ride some more fun roads with Dave and I!!

------------------
Connie
The curvier the better!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like the Long sweepers mostly because I can practice getting lower and faster. I think Ill like the tight ones better when I get better..

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Long smooth surface sweepers do it for me.I like the force of gravity pulling me down onto the seat. "Better Predator Than Prey"

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I like the tight 10 - 20 mph curves when I am riding alone because I get to throw the bike around a lot.

I like the 140mph sweepers when I have Theresa on the back because the extra weight on the back really "plants" my rear end.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
86 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbikeworld:
I like the 140mph sweepers when I have Theresa on the back because the extra weight on the back really "plants" my rear end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, that didn't come out right. What you meant to say was "Her nimble body adds just that little bit of extra weight to help give the rear wheel traction" right ;) (I've been doing this for 13 years now, I know the politics :) )

I like big sweepers mostly for the speed. I really like chicanes though, tossing the bike back and forth is such a blast.

When it comes to tight turns, I prefer right handers rather than left, because I have a tendancy to tighten the turn more than necessary. In right-hander, that just means I apply more gas and widen it out. On a left-hander, that means my head meets a car's bumper.

------------------
- Dan

·
Registered
94 Posts
ya know stacia, this topic sounds a little familiar. b.t.w.--did you ever figger out whether you liked the right curves better? ;)
i like both. if it's a curve, i like it. don't have a preference over one. switchbacks were my favs, until deal's gap. NAH, I LIED. i still like switchbacks. tee hee.
so, in other words, i'm like a guy. if it's got curves, i wanna ride it! :D
b.t.w. dave and connie- Route 30 WAS A HOOT! thanks for showing us that road. as if you couldn't tell i was having a good time. tee hee.

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."

[This message has been edited by radianrider (edited June 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by radianrider:
b.t.w.--did you ever figger out whether you liked the right curves better?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I feel like I'm more confident in the right handers. Like Dan said, I think it's because I don't feel so much like I'm leaning into oncoming traffic. But my tires are scuffed about the same on both sides, so I really like them both.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
137 Posts
I prefer medium radius to long sweepers, mostly due to the bird being too damm slow in the real tight stuff, I get my butt kicked by guys on smaller bikes, rgv's zx6's cbr6's in the real twisties, like a mountain climb.

Ross cbrxx

------------------

·
Registered
405 Posts
I like curves a lot! I do not think there is a curve out there I do not like. (except ones that have gravel in them!)
My favorite curves are the ones that you can run between 30-70 mph.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I like all of them!!! :) Doesn't matter.
But if you look at my tires I guess you could say I like the left handers more. :D

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
13 Posts
HI I like both. The sweepers are fun i get to really fly at 160. But what i really like is tight fast turs. like switch backs coming up or down mountans. Its really fun to run in to them at high speed then late brake and slide the rear wheele around going through the turn. Or when i get run a set of truns that i can throw the bike from one side to the other.

------------------
oldenof to know better still too young to care

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
tahoe's comments makes this more interesting.

i like also like tight uphill and slightly bumpy best. my least favorite (next to the interstate) is tight and downhill where it's hard to stay on the gas (i like to use low corner speed and get on the throttle early, hard for me in tight downhills).

on the track i found that i like tight corners at the end of straights. i really like the way a bike feels when it moves around at bit on the hot tires. it gets my heart bumpy and makes me feel like i'm really moving (even though i'm really slow).

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

G

·
I'm more in favor of the sweepers like the Skyway has, but I must say that the RC 51 has made the tight Deals Gap stuff more fun than it was on the VFR. They are all fun. The chicanes, as mentioned before, are a blast also.

Ride Hard!

John

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
of course i like em all, but my favorites are the ones that you can see all the way to the end before you start & have smooth pavement... maybe 65-100mph turns... uphill also.

------------------

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like 'em all, but generally prefer fairly tight uphill runs (going up the mountain). It generally keeps the speed at a reasonable level too. Chicanes are a hoot, but the tight stuff here can have rocks or sand early in the season so caution is the key word for riding until late June. (snow's still melting off the mountains)

Just got the ZX7 running (put back together) what a joy it is indeed!

------------------
Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i like them all, but prefer curves with a view on the street. either a sweeper, or a tight downhill that you can scan for "oncomings". on the track i love "carosels"(though i'm not great at either)
those brits must have a blast on the "roundabouts" where you can circulate up to the "knee dragging" comfort level.we don't have many here in mi.

------------------
T.Bates
WERA, GLRRA #162

·
Registered
100 Posts
loooooooooooong ridiculously high speed sweepers.

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"That ain't the way we do things round here boy"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts