Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ride your bike to work? If so, how far is it? If you ride to work, do you do it for enjoyment or because the bike is your only transportation? Is there a safe place at work for you to park?

I work at home, so I don't ride to work. If I'd had a bike back when I worked outside the home, I probably would have ridden it to work for enjoyment as long as there was a safe place to park it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I will ride my bike to work for pleasure.:)

I thought I was going to have to start to ride everyday not too long ago. It didn't seem like it would be fun anymore. Glad I don't have too.

Work is about 50 miles one way, and it's almost all straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i work grave yard shift so it's seasonal. yes i do ride it all summer. i enloy the ride plus it helps my budget with gas prices. working my shift i have many places to park. i usualy park on the covered sidewalk next to the office. i travel about 5 miles each way.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If the weather is good (no rain) and the temp. is 50F or above I will ALWAYS ride to work. Its just over 20 miles one way and it's all freeway riding, but at least its riding and I dont have to sit in traffic ever.

I got really lucky with the parking. Not only am I inside a guarded facility, but I have a covered parking spot right outside our station. I still throw a sheet over the bike to keep the dust and stuff off my bike. Needless to say, with my bike living in a garage at home, my ride stays very nice. :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i never ride to work. i travel a lot for a living and a suitcase isn't easy to cary on a bike.

when i was in college i would take the bike to work and school. it was cool. i could park my bike in the shop and the harley guys would give me grief. my one boss hated it and he'd tell me to move it. so i would. i'd take it on some twisties, go home and get the car.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I used to commute on the bike everyday 40 miles roundtrip in all kinds of weather. Parked the bike in a parking garage. Now I only ride it when I feel like I need to :D...its nice...I no longer dread going out to the bike in the morning and starting her up. It go old riding it everyday in the 110 d weather....

Not to mention the wear-and-tear on the bike...gets damn expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I only live about two miles from the office and used to ride whenever I could, but it caused problems. Working shift-work I'd get off around 3am and ride for about an hour. Then I would be so pumped when I got home I couldn't sleep. There are a couple guys that ride to work, so we schedule days to go for the 4am cruises. It's great going out at that time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ten miles roundtrip. I ride when the weather is nice. Unfortunately, it's on a military base so I get to wear the "I'm a dork" orange vest. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Riding to work

My work is about 3 miles from my home across the Westfield river in western Mass. The next closest bridge across this river is some 12 miles up stream, so this gives me the option of 3 miles through city traffic or a 25 mile ride through the Berkshires to get to work.
Any seasonal day it is not raining before work starts I ride in. (No matter what the forecast) While at work I cover the bike with a Dowco cover that is water proof, and I always have rain gear in my tank bag.
Sometimes this long ride down a winding back road can make stopping for work a difficult thing to do. On the other hand, the ride home sees the stress of the job vanish quickly in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ride whenever it's going to be nice out (Like 60+ weather, no rain, etc.)

Its only about 10 minutes to work, but the way there has one really twisty section, so I have fun on that.

I work at a large UPS hub, so there are quite a few people who ride to work(about 6-10). There is an "unofficial" bike area where riders park. Its the best spot, cause the parking lot is huge, but the bike place is right next to the entrance. And there is a quard at the entrance, so no one will vandalize the bikes.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I sometimes/usually ride to work. But since I live 2 miles from work, the bike doesn't even get warmed up before I shut it off. I also work shift work (the late shift) and hate letting the bike get covered in morning dew.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I ride to work rain or shine. When I bought the Bandit two years ago I was riding forty miles one way. Now I only ride about ten miles to work, so it's not as enjoyable. My wife can give me a ride in her four wheeled cage if necessary, but that almost never happens.
It's safe where I park, security patrols and surveillance cameras everywhere, but my Bandit sits in the weather.
I take the good with the bad and make the best of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ride to work any time it is above 30 degrees out and not raining when I leave. I ride 25 miles to work for the fun of it. I vary my commute from interstate to back roads depending on time and weather.

Rick
NCVFR

·
Registered
127 Posts
My trip to work is 45miles one way. I ride to work when it's warmer than 50 degrees out. That usually works out to be late April to October around here.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My office is about 25 paces from the kitchen door, so riding to work wouldn't make much sense. I do however, take every opportunity to run errands when I can. (Saddlebags are a real benefit)

DAVEFRMAN: Your comment about the Berkshire's brought back some wonderful memories. I have family in the Albany area in addition to New London and fondly recall the stunning Autumn rides through the Bershires and Adirondaks....lovely indeed!

Ride Safe,
Kev

1 - 20 of 68 Posts