Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to alighn my rear wheels, the string method is to confusing for me. How do i eye down the sproket to see if it is going straight? also my sporcket seems to ride the inside of the chain more then the out side, which way would I want to adjust the rim to center teh chain? thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The hash marks are not a good thing to rely on....sometimes they can be way off. I have found mine to be almost true, but maybe a very short short hair off. I usually measure it on both sides with a caliper and get it set right, but there is no real difference between that and using the hash marks on mine, I just like it to be measured out and right. Do some searching, there are thread on the net about using the string method of getting the wheel set right.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If someone told you their bike (same make/model/year as yours) had alignment marks that were 1/2" off and you set your bike up according to their bike's offage, you'd probably be screwed. The reason the marks are off is due to production tolerances, wear and damage. Each bike will be different and many may be spot on.

String method is simple. Perhaps seeing it done once would make more sense of it. There are also specific tools (Motion Pro?) that measure exact distance from swingarm pivot center to rear axle center. You measure one side and compare it to other side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts