Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do you get out of a set of tires? What tires are you using?

This question was suggested by Twistiesman. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I got about 8000 miles on my OEM Michelin tires and replaced them while they still had a little tread left, but we were going to the Smackdown at the Gap so we changed them right before we left. I switched to the new Bridgestone BT010's and I really like them. I have 5000 miles on them so far and they still have considerable tread left. Will probably end up changing them again before we head up to the Gap this summer.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
D-207's, Get 4 to 5 thousand miles out of a set, change front and rear together, used four sets last year. That equals much fun. Don't do burnouts, use almost exclusively on two lane roads, very little interstate. If used on interstate a lot, or do burnouts, it "squares" them up quickly and I don't like that for Mountain twisties.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used up my stock 207's in less than 3,000 miles. No burnouts, all twisties riding. Got the BT010's and they seem like they will last a lot longer. They certainly perform better. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've Just replaced Both MEZ3racing after 2500 rear and 5000 front for BT010s' on my TLR. I'll let you know what they are like when I get the chance to play but hopefully they will be quicker turning than the metzlers without losing the stability.

Adie

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I normally get about 2,000 miles out of my 207GP's on the street. On the track I like 207GP Stars and normally get about 4-6 races (about 100 miles) out of a set before they are cooked.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new 208's as soon as I can locate a set. Will probibly end up buying them from http://ww.sporttire.com

I've never run a set of BT010's but from all of the good things I have heard about them I might give em a try.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my gsxr has 207zr's. i get about 2000 rear, 3000 front.

i only ride it on backroads. i'm usually flying somewhere for work, and my garage is in the middle of about 4 great mountain roads.

my 400 uses bt-56ss. i have 3 weekends on them. but i'm not that fast.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tires?

I got 10,533 miles on my stock `207 rear(the cords were showing in the middle) before I put on a BT56SS.And I got 18,550 miles on the original front `207(it was really starting to do funky things to the handling)and replaced it with a BT56SS also.And to stop any rumours,I do not ride with Goldwings.Maybe twins are easier on tires,don`t know......

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Auger, I think all things being equal, twins are harder on tires. The whole higher torque, low end grunt pushing the bike hard out of turns etc.
Perhaps it should be mentioned what bike we are doing this with, cause a R1 might eat a tire faster than a EX500. Just a thought.
My 900SS. 10,000 miles and I am about to replace the rear AGAIN. Bike stock comes with Michelin Pilot Sports, and I have been very happy with them. No plan on changing. I get about 7,000 miles out of the fronts. No wheelies, no burnouts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I run D207's and I get about 1,700-2,000 on the rear and about 2,900-3,100 on the front. I'm really happy with the D207's and I don't mind the replacement times or cost. I can get the rear for $118 and front for $93 mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I average about 5000-6000 a set on D207's. I generally run D205's and get about 6000 - 8000 on the rear and 12000-14000 on the front. I watch the pressure very closely and run relatively high pressures, 36-38 front and 40-42 rear.

I tend to wear D207's out quickly on the outsides. The D205's seem to hold up better, the harder compound, and wear more evenly.

S

·
0 Posts
Dan F4 said:
I run D207's and I get about 1,700-2,000 on the rear and about 2,900-3,100 on the front. I'm really happy with the D207's and I don't mind the replacement times or cost. I can get the rear for $118 and front for $93 mounted and balanced.
Ya but for how long Danny boy ? They don't make'm anymore.

S

·
0 Posts
Shit, Now I don't know .... I could have sworn I read something on here about dunlop stopping the tire, A new / improved version is coming out ..

Robert ? Am I crazy ?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I also ride the 207 bandwagon. I usually get about 2000 miles from a set (street compound). They have lots of tread left, but just don't stick anymore!
To you guys who squeeze 10K+ from a set- you're gonna be in a world of hurt if you ever need to do an emergency manuver!

S

·
0 Posts
Dan F4 said:
It say the 207's GP but it doesn't say anything about the street 207's. I hope they don't stop making them.
Ya, You might be right. I just assumed the whole line would fall in place of the 208's

1 - 20 of 39 Posts